• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Document: 77 Pages, 7 Classes, & More!

Updated classes, spells, feats, and more!

There's a brand new playtest document for the new (version/edition/update) of Dungeons of Dragons available for download! This one is an enormous 77 pages and includes classes, spells, feats, and weapons.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents updated rules on seven classes: Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, and Rogue. This document also presents multiple subclasses for each of those classes, new Spells, revisions to existing Spells and Spell Lists, and several revised Feats. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest document.

Incenjucar

Legend
they aren’t, real people do not gain back spells either, they do not even regain HP anywhere near as fast
So it IS about spells?

Edit: Note that this isn't a "gotcha!" question or something. If you want to orient progression around spells, okay. I disagree, but it's not clear what the value is here.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
When was the last time you heard of "real people" shrugging off severe life threatening physical trauma in less time than it takes a pizza to be delivered and get cold?
Why should 'real people' matter in a discussion of the fantasy monsters that is every single fantasy character?

Also, there's no severe, life threatening trauma in D&D except when you walk in on the wizard without their robe.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
it could be fun to have only at-will spells that you use like weapons, eventually gaining multicast to do the equivalent of multi-attack, plus ritual casting (with any spell taking more than one round to cast is a ritual requiring material stuff).
That kind of thing CAN be fun, but so far, has only had minimal support in prior editions.

I’ve built (and occasionally run) 3.5Ed PCs like that, and they were a blast. But they were also (by definition) suboptimal.

mamba

Legend
So it IS about spells?

Edit: Note that this isn't a "gotcha!" question or something. If you want to orient progression around spells, okay. I disagree, but it's not clear what the value is here.
it is about what I said it is, skills in the general sense, most of those are implemented as spells however. I want SR to restore HP only.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
What is the physical trauma of punching a goblin super fast?

Well given that "real people" can't do that it's a moot question. Healing from injury given enough time is something they can do though.

I'm not the one who complained that adventurers are worse at "recovering their strength"than "real people". Classes and class abilities are fictional constructs. If you really want an answer to that question though you could head over to someplace like royalroad.com and read wuxia/xianxia cultivation fiction till your eyes bleed with the true power of chunibyo empowered "real people"?

DavyGreenwind

Just some guy
I don't think that the PHB should have to reprint any monster stats at all. It's a waste of space to print the same rules in different core books. Also, I believe class design should not require DM-side monster stats. Monster stats are for DM-use, and should not need to be balanced for player use.
Valid. Though you don't necessarily need to include beast stats, like a CR 0 "Cat" in the Monster Manual. The stat blocks could be used by other classes too, for familiars, steeds, summons, or other beast companions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Do we really need stat blocks for cr 0 creatures? Really? Can’t we just have one generic stat block? With a sidebar for adding features like flight or swim speeds?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they provide some customizeable Beast templates somewhere, in the PHB or MM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads