• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

The more I dive into weapon masteries, the more I like them. Really only have one nitpick in the whole list.

Slow - Let the speed reduction stack on multiple hits of the same creature.
I really like them too, and would really want Dual Weapon Mastery to allow for 1-handed non-light weapons that allow for Versatile Weapon use. Being able to wield 2 versatile weapons at their higher damage dice really helps the small damage boost of Flex.

But I cannot get onboard with Slow stacking. Dropping speed by 10 at range is crazy powerful control, and letting you drop speed by 20 with 2 attacks is even crazier. Heck if there is any range between opposing foes, 2 Master Archers literally win the fight against any melee solo boss who may never get a hit in.

As it is already, a Sling, Musket, Light Crossbow, or Longbow Master can Slow the enemy, and their allied Heavy Crossbow Master ally can knock them back. A 7th level Fighter can choose to Topple at range. A 13th level fighter can use two of those properties all on their own, swapping mastery properties with each attack on the same weapon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The more I dive into weapon masteries, the more I like them. Really only have one nitpick in the whole list.

Slow - Let the speed reduction stack on multiple hits of the same creature.
They are pretty great, but I agree with @Mirrorrorrim that stacking Slow would be OP.

What I haven't seen people consider is synergies with Fighting Styles or other Feats. Flex with Dueling and the Armor enhancing style fir a champion? D10 + 2 with expanded critical while enjoying +4 AC. Assuming no magic weapons, shield or armor!

Last edited:

Michael Linke

Adventurer
He said, and I quote: "Many warlocks end up being melee focused." Which they do! Lots of warlocks are hexblades. It's a very popular gish build.

Crawford didn't say or imply that all warlocks were melee, or even most, just many. 100% accurate.
Fair enough. But they could use Pact of the Blade to represent that, and I don’t see how that support has any impact on the Pact Magic change that’s really bothering me.

It seems like they’re unsure of which class feature best represents the warlock’s subclass. They want the subclass decision to happen at level 3, after you’ve spent some time being a Warlock, but between your choice of Patron and choice of Pact Boon, it seems like Pact boon deseves the bigger mechanical impact, specializing you as a caster, Gish or pet class, and yet that’s the decision they’re frontloading?

“Who do I get my power from?” Seems like a fundamental question to answer at level 1. It should be part of your character’s origin story.

“How do I wield that power?” Seems like something you come to decide later in your career. It should be your subclass.

All of the changes around the warlock class are like 180 degrees off from what I would have either expected or wanted.

Fair enough. But they could use Pact of the Blade to represent that, and I don’t see how that support has any impact on the Pact Magic change that’s really bothering me.

It seems like they’re unsure of which class feature best represents the warlock’s subclass. They want the subclass decision to happen at level 3, after you’ve spent some time being a Warlock, but between your choice of Patron and choice of Pact Boon, it seems like Pact boon deseves the bigger mechanical impact, specializing you as a caster, Gish or pet class, and yet that’s the decision they’re frontloading?

“Who do I get my power from?” Seems like a fundamental question to answer at level 1. It should be part of your character’s origin story.

“How do I wield that power?” Seems like something you come to decide later in your career. It should be your subclass.

All of the changes around the warlock class are like 180 degrees off from what I would have either expected or wanted.
To me, and the reason I think that there should be a healing pact boon is that the Pact Boon is intended to be the answer to the question "What was so desperate that I needed to make this deal for power?" Pact of the Tome = Magic, Pact of the Blade = Combat Ability, Pact of the Chain = Help (or possibly social knowledge), Pact of the Tome = Money and trinkets - or to protect someone else. The motivation comes first, finding out who you really made the deal with might take longer to find out.

OB1

Jedi Master
They are pretty great, but I agree with @Mirrorrorrim that stacking Slow would be OP.

What I haven't seen people consider is synergies with Fighting Styles or other Feats. Flex with Dueling and the Armor enhancing style fir a champion? D10 + 2 with expanded critical while enjoying +4 AC. Assuming no magic weapons, shield or armor!
Yeah, I didn't think thru all of the issues with slow stacking well enough. To work I think it would have to be limited to reducing your speed when you Move (allowing Dash to make up for it), but that seems way too fiddly. What I do love about the way it's designed now is that if you are trying to advance on a well fortified portion against a host of archers, you could get pinned down on the way.

On another note, Barbarians I think are getting jobbed with the Heavy Weapon Masteries. Graze and Topple aren't great for a recklessly attacking Barbarian, and they have no way of switching out properties. On the flip side, a Pike and a Halberd now make for great options for the Barbarian.

I also don't love the new Grapple DC rules, especially for Barbarians, since Rage no longer helps grappling and the escaper get's a +2 bonus to start with.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
We're gonna take a short rest, and you can't stop us.
Really, here's 5 words for that, "Goblin archers in the trees"

yes, the DM really is in control of how often you successfully short rest
Player: "How did the goblin archers sneak past my DC 30 passive perception" (btw one of my players has such a passive perception so this is not an exaggerated example).

The DM of course can always do what they will, but many DMs do like to maintain consistency and flavor in their game...and that becomes the chain that binds the DMs hands, not the players.

As a DM, of course I could fill a woods with red dragons if I wanted to challenge my players, nothing can stop me..... but suddenly the consistency of my world falls apart, and as a DM I don't want to do that.

So yes, I would much rather the system be designed in a way that naturally balances player actions, rather than me having to apply DM corrections constantly to keep things in check.

Stalker0

Legend
Lol let me put it this way.

If the group tells the DM no, the group wins. The DM’s “authority” ends the moment it goes against the will of the group.
Well no, the group wins if either:

1) The DM relents and agrees to change to the will of the group.
2) The DM quits and another one of the group is willing to take on the large burden of DMing, and that new member is at least as good if not better than the DM that quit.

If neither of these happens, then no one wins.

Remove ads

Remove ads