• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Shows Us The New Druid & Paladin

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses. Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here. Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here. Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your...

WotC has released the fourth One D&D playtest document. This 29-page PDF includes the druid and the paladin with Circle of the Moon and Oath of Devotion subclasses.

Screen Shot 2023-02-23 at 3.49.37 PM.png

Druid. The Druid class and Circle of the Moon subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Paladin. The Paladin class and Oath of Devotion subclass are ready for playtesting here.

Feats. Several revised feats appear here for your feedback, with more revised feats coming in future articles.

Spells. More spells are ready for playtesting, with a focus on smite spells, Find Familiar, and Find Steed.

Rules Glossary. The rules glossary has been updated again and supersedes the glossary in previous Unearthed Arcana articles. In this document, any underlined term in the body text appears in that glossary, which defines game terms that have been clarified or redefined for this playtest or that don’t appear in the 2014 Player’s Handbook.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It's laughable in terms of the amount they're changing, based on the current playtest material and what they're saying.

1E to 2E would be a better comparison, if we look at realities instead of spin.
I viewed the comparison by Brink as honest, without spin.

3.0 to 3.5 was controvertial, because despite using the same system, players felt a need to buy new products to stay compatible.

Even so, 5e will be 10 years old. There have been many options since 2014, a few issues becoming evident during the test of time, a different era of civic responsibilities.

A 2024 update of the core rulebooks to reflect the 5e of today, seems worthwhile.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I sort of wonder if we'll have subclasses based around the channel nature abilities. Moon druid adds more to wildshape, maybe a circle of healing will crank up the healing on the blossoms while another will turn the familiar into a more powerful animal companion.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I sort of wonder if we'll have subclasses based around the channel nature abilities. Moon druid adds more to wildshape, maybe a circle of healing will crank up the healing on the blossoms while another will turn the familiar into a more powerful animal companion.
Don't we already have that for Spores, Stars, and Wildfire Druids? Wild Shape has had different subclass-dependent uses since Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Do players actually use the Planeshift spell? I've never seen it cast by a player in all the years I've played D&D.
For me, Planeshift is the defining spell for when a game kicks into top-tier play. It doesn't happen often, admittedly, but when it does, the players are in the driver's seat -- they can choose where to go, and who to fight.

(It's why I want it to be an ability for the Horizon Walker Ranger -- if you're focusing on extra planar movement, this is a much more important ability than etherealness or misty step.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Based on Beyond data, Circle of Dreams and Circle of the Shepherd are very popular, so that seems very likely to me.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Don't we already have that for Spores, Stars, and Wildfire Druids? Wild Shape has had different subclass-dependent uses since Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.
Kind of, what I mean is will they make these sorts of subclasses the ones released with onednd, whether updating the ones mentioned or new subclasses. I'm sure for the companion that many would prefer an animal pet over an elemental.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
For me, Planeshift is the defining spell for when a game kicks into top-tier play. It doesn't happen often, admittedly, but when it does, the players are in the driver's seat -- they can choose where to go, and who to fight.

(It's why I want it to be an ability for the Horizon Walker Ranger -- if you're focusing on extra planar movement, this is a much more important ability than etherealness or misty step.)
Agreed on planeshift but with regard to the Horizon Walker, I have always been disappointed that the theme was never really supported. If not planeshift, then more ability with portals beyond the fairly meagre detection.
They should be able to track across planes, open portals, analyse portals, close portals, possibly as rituals or a single scaling class feature/ritual thingy.

Hussar

Legend

Let me rephrase it then. What AP from WotC needs the party to cast Plane Shift? AFAIK, it's not necessary for any of the adventures.

Sure, I can see it used offensively, I suppose - a sort of super charged Banishment spell. But, as a travel spell? I've never actually seen a party use it. And, I'm struggling to think of any published adventures from any edition where it was even considered for the party to cast it.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
While I always got the impression that adventuring across the planes was the intended result for high level D&D games, it isn't often that I've had the opportunity to do so when playing. I wonder if a lot of groups just aren't interested in planar hijinks, finding plenty of adventures in their game world?

Remove ads

Remove ads