New Plane Rules - Opinions?

ax0n

First Post
The Netbook of Planes have published new rules for planes. They can be download in PDF format here

We would really appreciate it if you could lend your opinions about the rules, whether you think anything needs improving or if you think its just great as it is.:D

ax0n

First Post
Lots of reason: first and foremost, I think we've created a set of rules that surpase those in the MotP. The netbook rules for planes allow to create a wider variety of planes quickly, and are flexible and generic enough to create any plane imaginable.

Secondly, the MotP is not, and will never be, OGC. What we're trying to do is contribute something meaningful to the open-gaming community, such as it exists. The rules we've created can be used by anyone, whilst the rules in the MotP are very limited in focus, and can only be used by WotC.

So, please, download them and let us know what you think.

thesilentbard

First Post
Okay I'll have a look at them ;)

Do all contributions have to be in this format?

What if I designed my very own plane model? Would you be interested in seeing it?
If you are the same guy as the leader of the netbook while it still was on the old servers, you might remember me.

ax0n

First Post
Do all contributions have to be in this format?

We'd prefer it if they were. You can submit in any format you like, but chances are we'll convert it to our format before we publish, with your permission.

What if I designed my very own plane model? Would you be interested in seeing it?

We're interested in anything planar related, and that includes not just planes, but classes, feats and whole cosmologies, or plane models. We're looking to create a list of complete and exciting new alternative cosmologies, so send them in. :)

If you are the same guy as the leader of the netbook while it still was on the old servers, you might remember me.

I did a search for thesilentbard on our mailing list archive but could find no mention: sorry, but do you go by any other pseudonyms?

thesilentbard

First Post
I just read the rules, although I didn't analyze in depth.

I'm glad to see that it's very similar to the MotP. People will be less disoriented and conversions between the two systems should prove easy.

I suggest that, in the description of planes, type modifiers get a special paragraph, so as to be separated from the description paragraph. This makes it easier to read and understand, especially when skimming through a big quantity of planes, and trying to find stuff as fast as possible.

There will surely be a bit of debate about some of the numerical applications of the rules (such as: Is it really easier to keep balance on a plane with light gravity?), but all in all I like the rules, because they are short and easy, yet allow a wide application.

It will surely be adopted by all contributors.

ax0n

First Post
Thanks, glad you liked it. I think they are certainly incidentaly compatible. :)
I suggest that, in the description of planes, type modifiers get a special paragraph
We certainly would do this, except if you read the rules carefully you will see that type modifiers are only one or two words in parenthesis after the size and types, like the type modifiers from the monster descriptions.
Actually, i do remember you. If you want to join up again read our join page, sign the FANCC PA and start submitting your work. :)

XCorvis

First Post
I like the rules. They seem pretty clean, but more examples would be good. Can you toss in one for a Shadow world? I think that's sufficiently generic that the OGC shouldn't be a problem. The concept of the astral plane also predates DND, but it's a bit different, I think...

ax0n

First Post
I like the rules. They seem pretty clean, but more examples would be good. Can you toss in one for a Shadow world?
That's what we like to hear. :D
Glad you liked them, and I'll be sure to pass your comments onto the team.
The netbook itself will, of course, include tons of examples of planes using the rules, and I'm in the process of writing an essay on how to create planes using the rules.

Remove ads