• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Player resource site - aka Character Builder for PF

Would you use a new website character builder?

• Never

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I'd atleast check it out

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Definetly

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I'd pay for access such a system (even just a one time donation)

Votes: 2 4.3%

IronWolf

blank
Hero Lab represents something I do not like, namely DRM, mounting costs and lack of openness. [2]

Given the above, something simple and usable would be a recommended choice.

[2] I do not begrudge people earning money for their work. However unless I can help it, I steer away from DRM stuff - when something you pay for is not really yours, it is not really yours.

I typically rebel against DRM quite a bit, even have a poster hanging in my office that says eliminate DRM. So I certainly don't blame you for holding strong on that tenet.

I finally gave up it seems in the arena of character builders. While I am not a fan of the DRM (the cost is not as much of a factor) the tool does work quite well and has saved me a significant amount of time.

gergLeft

First Post
It all comes down to the general rule of: You get what you pay for. Granted there are exceptions to that on occasion - such as when a programmer like me gets it in his head that he wants to build a complicated system for fun, practice and as part of a portfolio to show future employers.

Based on the results I'm seeing from the poll - there'd be enough potential interest to justify the time investment.

Nylanfs

Adventurer
I would say it would have to bring more to the table than the existing ones that are out there now. PCGen is out there and works pretty well, though they are still working on APG content I believe.

PCGen can do this I believe. I know Hero Lab can.
Actually we have almost all of the APG ready. If you want to beta test the early versions check out this tarball.

And yes we have several statblock options, I believe #5 of the paizo version.

Xyxox

Hero
I'm just about sold on Hero Lab, especially with the M&M and Savage Worlds support. I'll probably drop a bit more than a Franklin on that software.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads