D&D (2024) New playtest fighter and warlock

Pauln6

Hero
Someone said to me the other day “if I wasn’t to stay back safe and shoot through their eyes what does it hurt” and I didn’t have a good answer. It just takes death off the table for the character not failure.
They feel they pain of their proxy. Jean Grey fainted every 5 minutes when the target of her mind link got nobbled back in the day before she invested in combat casting.

Stalker0

Legend
Could it be fixed if you have to make a concentration check when your proxy takes damage?
Problem is it makes things too all or nothing. With a single check you could remove the warlock from the adventure. Now you could argue they deserved it, but that is not a risk you even want to players to be able to attempt imo

Pauln6

Hero
Problem is it makes things too all or nothing. With a single check you could remove the warlock from the adventure. Now you could argue they deserved it, but that is not a risk you even want to players to be able to attempt imo
I wasn't suggesting that the warlock should also take damage also but it is certainly arguable that they could take psychic damage equal half the damage taken by their proxy, maybe capped at the level of the spell they are concentrating on at the time they lose concentration.

HammerMan

Legend
I wasn't suggesting that the warlock should also take damage also but it is certainly arguable that they could take psychic damage equal half the damage taken by their proxy, maybe capped at the level of the spell they are concentrating on at the time they lose concentration.
Again if the proxy dies the warlock still loses

HammerMan

Legend
Ah I see, you mean if the warlock stays home? I doubt any players would consider that a sensible option. Familiars can deliver spells but casters don't send their familiars into dungeons on their own.
I did something like that in 3.5. A simulacrum that I dominated and scryed. The DM at no point found me being unkillable (in my Demi plane full of contingency spells artifacts and with a dozen hidden clones) to mean he could not challenge me. Death isn’t the only lose condition it’s just the one that ends the campaign (tpk)

Stalker0

Legend
To clarify. I meant that if the warlock failed the conc check they would lose the connection, and so would be out of the adventure because they were too far away and could no longer contribute actions

Remove ads