D&D (2024) New playtest fighter and warlock

mellored

Legend
Yeah as cool as the new gaze is I can't see it making it to print. Literally the warlock could sit back in a lawn chair, be completely safe, yet provide its full suite of offense in a fight, by having spells come out of one of the other characters. That's just really crazy good.
It mostly needs a range limit.

But until then, it gives long distance a new definition.

HammerMan

Legend
Okay so bladelock was an issue. The phrase “this is dumb” has never been entered so many times into group text and discord ever.
So to start with this player only has this playtest and had not down loaded the others. So he wanted to use the 2014 half elf and 2014 backgrounds and spells not updated yet (green flame blade and sword burst) and argued with DM over it. He also wanted weapon master manuvers and went back and forth between martial adept (not in playtest) and the dragon lance feats (not in playtest and setting specific)
He did finally stop but then was mad we only had infernal warlock subclass.
However this has shown a big divide in my friend group over we other this is a playtest for a new edition or not.

Okay after all that he made a 13th level human blade lock. And we were reminded why rolling is a bad idea… when he had the worst stats possible and had to reroll (he had 2 8s and a 9 with high 13) his reroll was then the best stats in the game and this made all the rest of us grumble a bit (you will see why)
He took a ring of protection and a set of scrolls of 2nd level spells and I don’t know what spells he took.

Lord Wagner
15 Str 15 dex 17 con 15 int 20 Wis 17 Cha

Ac 19 (half plate) HP 118

Feats: Ability score increase Wis, fighting style def, Lucky, Weapon Master

Cantrips. Eldritch blast pact weapon +4 (light, mage hand, shock grasp, true strike)

Spells. Hex, burning hands, command, scorching ray, suggestion, fear, stinking cloud, blight, wall of fire +11 (1st) hellish rebuke, long strider, thunder wave (2nd) misty step, Phantasmal force (3rd) Counterspell, Hast, vampire touch (4th) banishment, conjur minor elemental, phantasmal killer
4/3/3/1.

Invocations (7) agonizing blast, eyes of rune keeper, hexer, life drinker, mystic arcanum 6th (Disintegrate), mystic arcanum 7th (teleport), Whisper of the grave.

Pact weapon great sword. +10/+10 2d6+5 slash +1d6 necrotic (miss 5 slash)
Back up pistol +7 1d10+2 and vex

Eldritch blast +10/+10/+10 1d10+5 force

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay so bladelock was an issue. The phrase “this is dumb” has never been entered so many times into group text and discord ever.
So to start with this player only has this playtest and had not down loaded the others. So he wanted to use the 2014 half elf and 2014 backgrounds and spells not updated yet (green flame blade and sword burst) and argued with DM over it. He also wanted weapon master manuvers and went back and forth between martial adept (not in playtest) and the dragon lance feats (not in playtest and setting specific)
Okay, you may not love this, but…he’s right. It’s silly to want to use old backgrounds when the new system is flat out better, but it’s legal in the rules of the playtest. Same with 2014 races, feats (I’d say unless they’ve been updated bc the intent is to test the updated stuff), and subclasses.

They are doing everything to indicate that this is a playtest for a revision, not a new game.
However this has shown a big divide in my friend group over we other this is a playtest for a new edition or not.
It’s not. They’ve literally asked people to use 2014 material with whatever they are testing via UA. The intention is, evidently, to mix and match freely.

Okay after all that he made a 13th level human blade lock. And we were reminded why rolling is a bad idea… when he had the worst stats possible and had to reroll (he had 2 8s and a 9 with high 13) his reroll was then the best stats in the game and this made all the rest of us grumble a bit (you will see why)
He took a ring of protection and a set of scrolls of 2nd level spells and I don’t know what spells he took.

Lord Wagner
15 Str 15 dex 17 con 15 int 20 Wis 17 Cha

Ac 19 (half plate) HP 118

Feats: Ability score increase Wis, fighting style def, Lucky, Weapon Master

Cantrips. Eldritch blast pact weapon +4 (light, mage hand, shock grasp, true strike)

Spells. Hex, burning hands, command, scorching ray, suggestion, fear, stinking cloud, blight, wall of fire +11 (1st) hellish rebuke, long strider, thunder wave (2nd) misty step, Phantasmal force (3rd) Counterspell, Hast, vampire touch (4th) banishment, conjur minor elemental, phantasmal killer
4/3/3/1.

Invocations (7) agonizing blast, eyes of rune keeper, hexer, life drinker, mystic arcanum 6th (Disintegrate), mystic arcanum 7th (teleport), Whisper of the grave.

Pact weapon great sword. +10/+10 2d6+5 slash +1d6 necrotic (miss 5 slash)
Back up pistol +7 1d10+2 and vex

Eldritch blast +10/+10/+10 1d10+5 force
Tbh he could probably drop agonizing blast for another mystic arcanum (5th) and it'd serve him better if he's a bladelock. I guess having a ranged option is always nice but he has stinking cloud, scorching ray, etc etc.

EDIT: Laugh react is at the +10 modifiers at the bottom btw.

HammerMan

Legend
Tbh he could probably drop agonizing blast for another mystic arcanum (5th) and it'd serve him better if he's a bladelock. I guess having a ranged option is always nice but he has stinking cloud, scorching ray, etc etc.

EDIT: Laugh react is at the +10 modifiers at the bottom btw.
Normally I would have suggested the same but I was annoyed at him. Also I could not for the life of me tell you what his over all theme or concept is.

HammerMan

Legend
Okay, you may not love this, but…he’s right. It’s silly to want to use old backgrounds when the new system is flat out better, but it’s legal in the rules of the playtest. Same with 2014 races, feats (I’d say unless they’ve been updated bc the intent is to test the updated stuff), and subclasses.
The DM gets to pick what is and isn’t allowed. Normally I would say we are more accommodating but for the playtest I get why he doesn’t want to mix and match unless we have too.
They are doing everything to indicate that this is a playtest for a revision, not a new game.
I will respectfully disagree
It’s not. They’ve literally asked people to use 2014 material with whatever they are testing via UA. The intention is, evidently, to mix and match freely.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The DM gets to pick what is and isn’t allowed.
Um…okay? The player is still right. Them being annoyed that the DM is restricting them beyond the rules is fair, especially since they eventually accepted defeat (I’m guessing when the rest of the group told them they were being annoying, but that’s just based on past experience).
Normally I would say we are more accommodating but for the playtest I get why he doesn’t want to mix and match unless we have too.

I will respectfully disagree
Wait you disagree that they are trying to make it a revision? Like you think they’re just lying?

Okay. Either way, they’ve made it clear that the playtest assumes that we will use existing options with the playtest options.

HammerMan

Legend
Um…okay? The player is still right. Them being annoyed that the DM is restricting them beyond the rules is fair, especially since they eventually accepted defeat (I’m guessing when the rest of the group told them they were being annoying, but that’s just based on past experience).

I find it funny that you side with the player wanting to go against the very idea of the playtest.

We didn’t call him annoying but we sure told him to knock it off.

This was a playtest game and the DM said he wanted to use as much of the playtest as possible. That was the pitch. TBH he asked about fighters and warlocks that is how we ended up with these characters.
Wait you disagree that they are trying to make it a revision? Like you think they’re just lying?
I’m not sure if lying is the right word but “putting spin on it” might be. I guess that is a type of lying.

HammerMan

Legend
So tonight is game 1. We have been told we are going to be at a small town on the boarder of a dessert and a mountain region that has a mixed population that has had trouble with orcs and goblins and not much bigger. We got to pick and we already know each other and have a base team built.
He also warned it will not be goblins per-say but undead his adventure uses and one we don’t often fight.

Remove ads