New Race: Wyrmtouched

graydoom

First Post
Ace32 said:
Is this a race or a template?
I guess in it's current format it is a race. It could easily be made into a template, though. It is parallel to the Planetouched (Aasimar and Tiefling) in the MM.

Claude Raines

First Post
With all those abilities, especially the ability to fly, I would make the ECL at least +2 and possibly +3 (Energy Resistance and natural armor can count for a lot, along with breath weapons and the possibility of natural attacks).

graydoom

First Post
Claude Raines said:
With all those abilities, especially the ability to fly, I would make the ECL at least +2 and possibly +3 (Energy Resistance and natural armor can count for a lot, along with breath weapons and the possibility of natural attacks).
Did you not read the rest of the thread? The revised version no longer has the ability to fly. I'd advise you look at the revised version then repost about it.

UD

First Post
UD's final version

Ok heres my final version. Im also playtesting it in my friends Dragonstar campaign he started today, so I shall make any changes deemed necessary and repost... The character I'm playing is a gold subtype 4th level mechanist, has breath weapon, darkvision/lowlight vision and elemental resistance. After a little thought I added imunity to sleep and paralysis in as a standard trait.

"Wyrmtouched"

"Wyrmtouched" is a general word to describe those who can trace their bloodline back to a dragon.
The effects of the draconic heritage last many generations. Although not as dramatically altered as a half-dragon the wyrmtouched still retain some special qualities. Usually they are alignment of the type of dragon they are descended from. The wyrmtouched have several distinguishing features such as reptilian eyes or elongated fingernails and teeth. Often wyrmtouched are born with abilities closer to the powers of the dragons.

Wyrmtouched have the following traits:
+2 Strength +2 Charisma: Like their ancestor’s wyrmtouched possess great strength, a powerful force of personality and an innate talent for sorcery.
Type: Dragon - you gain immunity to sleep and paralysis effects only.
Languages:You know the same languages as a human. You may substitute draconic as one of your known languages.
Base speed: 30 ft

Wyrmtouched also get three choice from the list below:
1)Natural Armour +1: Wyrmtouched have tough skin with patches of scales the same colour as the type of dragon they are descended from. (This trait may be taken multiple times and stacks)
2)Breath Weapon (usable once per day based on the dragon variety)
3)Energy Resistance 5 (This trait may be taken multiple times and stacks
4)Claw and Bite attacks (bite 1d6, claw 1d4)
5)Low light vision and dark vision up to 60 feet
6)Hit die increased by 1 size, max d12.

Level Adjustment +1. Wyrmtouched are slightly more powerful and gain levels more slowly than most of the common races.
Favoured Class: Sorcerer

Dragon Variety Breath Weapon Damage (DC) Resistance
Black Line of Acid 2d4 (13) Acid
Blue Line of Lightning 2d8 (14) Electricity
Green Cone of Gas 2d6 (13) Acid
Red Cone of Fire 2d10 (15) Fire
White Cone of Cold 1d6 (12) Cold
Brass Line of Fire 1d6 (13) Fire
Bronze Line of Lightning 2d6 (14) Electricity
Copper Line of Acid 2d4 (13) Acid
Gold Cone of Fire 2d10 (16) Fire
Silver Cone of Cold 2d8 (14) Cold

A line is always 5ft high, 5 ft wide and 60ft long.
A cone is always 30ft long.

Last edited:

Soldarin

First Post
ecl

It looks like a good +1 race, with lots of potential thanks to the costumization options.

I'm a bit wary about the stacking of the energy resistance, though. Might be better to make it different energy types instead.

UD

First Post
You could, although it might loose the flavour of the dragon type it comes from. I would suspect that taking all 3 choices in energy resistence would be a bad idea anyway...

graydoom

First Post
I don't think the stacking energy resistance would ever become much of a problem. Yes, you could have Fire Resistance 15, but that doesn't protect you against anything else. And (in most campaigns) you don't face just one energy damage type; you don't just face fire, you face cold, electricity, and acid too. And at high levels enemies will do enough damage to bypass your resistance anyway.
Of course, in a really themed campaign (like, say, an all-fire campaign) it could get out of hand. But I don't think many DMs run those, and I would hope that those who do have enough sense to be wary of things like this.

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
This is great! My campaign has a nation where the ruling class is descended from Dragons. I’ve always felt that using the Half-Dragon template was a little too much, but this fits in just right. Now I have to go and complete my Wyrmlords Prestige Class.

Doc

Remove ads