New/Revised Prestige Classes

WarDragon

First Post
I find it difficult to express my dislike for the Roar and especially Summon Ancestor Spirits ability. The first kind of makes sense, but.... why would a primal berserker with no mental stats to speak of, and no magical ability, be able to call up ghosts? Corporeal ghosts, at that.

Hi Ltheb matey! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Ok, just took a look at the revised barbarian... I must say, while it was a bit weaker starting off (but less front loaded) the class itself is awesome!

Hey - well at least one person likes it. Woohoo! :D

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
The summon ancestor ability is cool (but it needs clarifying as to just what stats and equipment the ancestors have)

Agreed.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
though I recommend there be a minor penalty for an ancestor dieing. (Morale penalty until the end of the fight?)

I dunno about that, although it does sound interesting.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Also, their damage reduction actually becomes useful! Also, I am pretty certain that the HP this barbarian will have will be insane.

I expect the barbarian to expend lots of hit points using Bloodstrike.

Hiya mate! :)

WarDragon said:
I find it difficult to express my dislike for the Roar and especially Summon Ancestor Spirits ability.

You..the voice of dissention...I don't believe it! :D

WarDragon said:
The first kind of makes sense, but.... why would a primal berserker with no mental stats to speak of, and no magical ability, be able to call up ghosts? Corporeal ghosts, at that.

Three reasons.

1. It was a variation on the original 1st Ed. Unearthed Arcana Barbarian's (Call) Barbarian Horde ability.

2. I was channelling a sort of Horn of Valhalla 'vibe'.

3. In Conan the Barbarian movie, Valeria's dead spirit appears and saves Conan from death and recites the immortal line "Do you want to live forever".

So the above ideas are what made me add such an ability, aside from the fact that I think it could be very cool as a roleplaying and roll-playing device.

Hi mercucio mate! :)

mercucio said:
Why do I feel like you are reducing D&D to a video game on paper?

I thought I was trying to make the classes simpler to create, better balanced and more fun to play.

If anything I would have said I was making it more 'cinematic' than videogame.

Incidently the cosmetic changes to Damage Reduction and the "Sundering Skin" ability was based upon two characters:

1. Kiba Daiō (Fang King) who is the ruler of a Barbarian Tribe in the Fist of the North Star (anime) movie. He turns his body to steel and then engages an army of ninjas.

2. Tessai (Stone Giant) is an assassin/mercenary from the anime movie Ninja Scroll. His skin is stone-like and he wields a great double-sword that acts like a boomerang.

Also, I must point out that the Roar ability can cause a bit of ridiculousness. While it does take your whole turn to use, it causes Frightened, which makes the foe run away if they can. 5% chance Dr. Death the necromancer runs away. 5% chance a Dragon flees. Etc. Perhaps it should only affect foes with equal or less hit dice than the barbarian. Greater Roar is fine, however, since Shaken is pretty minor in most situations.

Hiya Ltheb dude! :)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Also, I must point out that the Roar ability can cause a bit of ridiculousness. While it does take your whole turn to use, it causes Frightened, which makes the foe run away if they can. 5% chance Dr. Death the necromancer runs away. 5% chance a Dragon flees. Etc. Perhaps it should only affect foes with equal or less hit dice than the barbarian.

Good point.

Ltheb Silverfrond said:
Greater Roar is fine, however, since Shaken is pretty minor in most situations.

I initially had Deafening Roar at 15th, but I didn't want any supernatural roaring until epic levels.

Phantom Llama

First Post
Summon Ancestor Spirits is PrC material. That sort of thing should absolutely not be in a base class, unless it is a base class devoted to 'summoning spirits' as opposed to 'being cross'. As it is it's completely out of place for a generic rage-driven warrior class.

Roar sits somewhat poorly with me, but it's not as monumentally ill-concieved as Summon Ancestor Spirits. At least it roughly fits the class' theme.

Illiteracy is a silly thing to make a class ability. Literacy is much more widespread in D&D.

Bloodstrike and Apophenia are odd and out of place. Better to leave them as feats.

Hiya Phantom Llama dude! :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Phantom Llama said:
Summon Ancestor Spirits is PrC material. That sort of thing should absolutely not be in a base class, unless it is a base class devoted to 'summoning spirits' as opposed to 'being cross'. As it is it's completely out of place for a generic rage-driven warrior class.

Maybe I'd like to think there was more to being a barbarian than simply getting angry.

Or are you suggesting that classes should become predictable and boring to better 'sell' Prestige Classes.

Phantom Llama said:
Roar sits somewhat poorly with me, but it's not as monumentally ill-concieved as Summon Ancestor Spirits. At least it roughly fits the class' theme.

I'm curious to hear what sort of abilities you think Barbarians should have?

Phantom Llama said:
Illiteracy is a silly thing to make a class ability. Literacy is much more widespread in D&D.

Take that up with WotC. :p

Phantom Llama said:
Bloodstrike and Apophenia are odd and out of place. Better to leave them as feats.

I see both as generic Barbarian abilities, so I don't think them out of place.

Bloodstrike is the Barbarian putting so much into blows that hes hurting himself.

Apophenia is rage fuelling speed rather than strength.

Pssthpok

First Post
I think this Barbarian redux is very cool, reminds me of the Diablo II barbarian in ways. I like the rage mechanics going up the way you have them, I think spirits is a neat ability and very 'tribal'; kudos, UK. Nice job.

Remove ads