New RPG, what are rules and concepts you love in rpg's?

Hakon Blum

First Post
Hello!
Good luck with that (and I think you mean 'useable with any current setting')!
This!
I always use the tool comparison: There's a right one for every job. Or to quote the saying: 'If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'.

If done right, a dedicated system will always be better than a generic system.

well i do have a setting in mind which will have the option to choose when in the time line you play, similar to how c'thulu has 3 settings.

the 3 settings would be before the rift (pure fantasy), at the collapse of the rift (modern day in a fantasy world like the anime "gate")
and futuristic, (the aftermath of rift thousands of years from now)

the rift its self is this:
humans were deemed a threat by race x, they created a magic cutting off the human lands from the planet, enveloping a special shield around the lands of man which gave the illusion of earth.

earth is in fact a small section of a larger planet with a special boundary which when crossed sends you to the opposite point, this happens both with light and matter so anyone who looks at earth from space sees it as a nice spare, but in reality it is a section of an even larger planet with all the other races such as dwarves and elves living on it.

the magical device keeping the earth separated is on the dark side of the moon, a trip by astronaughts in modern day weakens this boundary allowing a team of humans to find out the truth and go about collapsing it.

you can play in a fantasy setting like and before this went up
you can play in the years leading up to or during the collapse (bermuda triangle being a weak spot allowing you to escape the rift before it is taken down) maybe even being the team of humans who help bring about the destruction of the rift.
or you can play in the future when the races have once again learned to live together but science and magic are now intertwined like in a star wars setting or 40k setting.

still need to work on the setting, but its back bone exists, so this won't just be a set of rules, it will have some substance.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I like some kind of cool stunts/moments of greatness action for martial characters - something like DCC Mighty Deeds or Low Fantasy Gaming Major Exploits.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
My question to the community is what are things you love and hate about various rpg's. . .so what are some rules you love, hate, or would like to take from a current system and change slightly?

Love & Hate: I'm not that passionate for games.

I have a few Likes though:

Numenera: players roll the dice. Don't bother your GM with that jazz.

N.E.W.: Progression by careers is very cool. Class levels are so...1980s.

Final Fantasy V4: cool distinction: if it doesn't matter to the story, don't roll for it (called a Challenge).

Fate: aspects.

Zweihander, Grim and Perilous: peril damage track. Why should suffering be only physical? And it reminds me of my game's Mental damage...

Dislikes:

Rolling for everything: OMG. Do not make me roll a die, a pool, or percentile to see if I can climb the wet stairs, or if I can have a simple conversation with someone.

Stat blocks: few things suck the life out of a character more than a thick text block of numbers.

Jargon: unavoidable, I know, but if I have to explode the bennie to avoid the move from the fiction of the edge, there's too much jargon in the game.

Crunch: I'd like to play the game without spending just as much time trying to learn it.

Remove ads