• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Template: Earthbound Dragon

Frilf

Explorer
Krishnath said:
Well, the template doesn't make them blind (why would it? They can see in darkness well enough between Blindsense and Darkvision), but nothing is stoping you from blinding the dragon in other way.

(Remembers the Dragons of Autumn Twillight Dragonlance Book fondly.)

Noted. The posts started to run together in my mind there for a second :eek: Too much late-nite reading...

Nellisir

Hero
Nice, imaginative, solid concept. I really like it.

That said, it'd be nice to see a CR +0 variant (+2 Str, -2 Dex; maybe lose Ravage). Not a replacement (Ravage is pretty cool), but a variant. It seems a little weird, conceptually, that a malformed wingless red dragon is a tougher challenge than a stereotypical flying one.

Cheers!
Nell.

Krishnath

First Post
Nellisir said:
Nice, imaginative, solid concept. I really like it.

That said, it'd be nice to see a CR +0 variant (+2 Str, -2 Dex; maybe lose Ravage). Not a replacement (Ravage is pretty cool), but a variant. It seems a little weird, conceptually, that a malformed wingless red dragon is a tougher challenge than a stereotypical flying one.

Cheers!
Nell.

They are not 'malformed', just evolved differently, the wings for example has changed to be a second pair of fore limbs. :D

Nellisir

Hero
Krishnath said:
They are not 'malformed', just evolved differently, the wings for example has changed to be a second pair of fore limbs. :D

Eevo-loo-shun? What's eevo-loo-shun?

Seriously, what matters isn't how they got that way, but the effects. Evolution doesn't exist in my campaign*. Whatever exists exists because a god or a wizard or a malign force of magic made it so.

And since the gods made dragons with wings, a wingless dragon is malformed.

Cheers
Nell.
*I'm a big fan of evolution IRL, however.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Very nice! Just one point: add a note in SQ to the effect that they're immune to suffocation by Earth, such as an avalanche might instigate.

Otherwise, perfect, and yoink'd. -- N

Krishnath

First Post
Nellisir said:
Eevo-loo-shun? What's eevo-loo-shun?

Seriously, what matters isn't how they got that way, but the effects. Evolution doesn't exist in my campaign*. Whatever exists exists because a god or a wizard or a malign force of magic made it so.

And since the gods made dragons with wings, a wingless dragon is malformed.

Cheers
Nell.
*I'm a big fan of evolution IRL, however.
To each his, or her own :p

Nifft: Glad you like it, and suffocation by earth? You know that they'll just dig themselves out before they suffocate, right?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Krishnath said:
Nifft: Glad you like it, and suffocation by earth? You know that they'll just dig themselves out before they suffocate, right?

I dunno, maybe the poor l'il dragon is knocked out by an avalanche effect or Earthquake spell... there should be some kind of immunity to death by [Earth]-effects, even if they're not quite as common as [Fire] effects. :) Know what I mean?

Thanks, -- N

pyrobob

First Post
Nifft said:
I dunno, maybe the poor l'il dragon is knocked out by an avalanche effect or Earthquake spell... there should be some kind of immunity to death by [Earth]-effects, even if they're not quite as common as [Fire] effects. :) Know what I mean?

Yeah, but fire immunity is naturally magical (hmmm oxymoron ;) ) earth effects arent death by earth, they're death by bludgeoning rocks, hundreds of tons of pressure and dust filling up one's lungs. if you'd really want to assign some kind of applicable immunity, it would be to bludgeoning DR and immunity to spells w/ the earth descriptor, or something.

Krishnath

First Post
pyrobob said:
Yeah, but fire immunity is naturally magical (hmmm oxymoron ;) ) earth effects arent death by earth, they're death by bludgeoning rocks, hundreds of tons of pressure and dust filling up one's lungs. if you'd really want to assign some kind of applicable immunity, it would be to bludgeoning DR and immunity to spells w/ the earth descriptor, or something.
But dragons allready have damage reduction, so that would be quite redundant.

And besides, nothing prevents you from adding Immunity to [Earth]-effects in your campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads