• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Thread and Forum Icons in Default style

Michael Morris

First Post
Psionicist said:
Regarding server load, if you remove all the javascripts each and every page will not only be less annoying (javascripts are annoying), they will also be 31 KB lighter. 31 KB is alot, you can write a real time operating system in less. :) Think about it, thousands of page loads times those 31 KB...

/clientscript/vbulletin_global.js 17.9 KB
/clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js 13.1 KB

The drop down menus will not work without the javascripts, but that can be solved (lots of other forum software works perfectly okay without dropdown menus).

Oh, and for 56k users, those 31 KB will take 5-10 seconds to download, if they aren't cached.

I missed this post earlier. Oh well.

I'm well aware of the limitations of javascript Psionicist. Despite them, the programmers of vbulletin saw fit to employ javascript to achieve several key functions on vbulletin, and I'm not too inclined to tamper with it without due cause since they have far more programming experience than I, and I daresay you.

Last edited:

Michael Morris

First Post
jezter6 said:
To those who said envelopes are counter intuitive and clunky...

How clunky is: Open Envelope, new unread posts. Closed envelope, no new posts??

It sure beats having to print out a color map of the icon set because they're all exactly the same thing with just different colors. "Was blue what I was looking for, or was it red?"

Back to my original question, could we please put together a style that is not messed with. THe normal EN World look with the default buttons.

I'll think on it. In the meanwhile, Electric Blue uses the default icons still, and probably will for a while.

Arnwyn

First Post
Piratecat said:
we want things to be both functional and pretty, 'cause just pretty doesn't really cut it. /snip/ and keep telling us what you do and don't like.
Okay, here goes.
doghead said:
But the missing icons from Stealth makes it more difficult to get to the newest post or the last post.
This is my biggest concern. I have no problem with Stealth being "stealthy", of course, but this is a major loss of functionality for me - and very little gain on stealthiness (especially considering some of horribly huge and gaudy sigs out there, if you leave them on).

The little default vBulletin envelopes were barely noticeable in Stealth mode - thus still making it stealthy and functional (as the most important thing for me - seeing which threads I have posted to - is now gone).

Is there any way of bringing the little envelopes for Stealth? Otherwise (as other posters noted) it becomes an all or nothing choice. I'm stuck with the big black default page if I want any form of utility. :(

(Aside: I'm fine with the globes and stuff on the default mode, though.)

Michael Morris

First Post
arnwyn said:
(Aside: I'm fine with the globes and stuff on the default mode, though.)

As soon as Melanie Creel from WotC looks over the two WotC test styles I'll dump their header (which contain copyrighted graphics) and allow board access to at least one of them (the second will require more work - it's more unpolished). It's a white page design like stealth so it should fulfil the need for a white background graphics style in the lineup.

Arnwyn

First Post
Cool.

Hopefully all goes well. I do indeed use Stealth at work, but I need a bit of functionality (ie. new posts/replied to posts indicators) as well. I'm curious to see what it'll be like - a white background style should work well enough for me.

Psionicist

Explorer
I love the new larger globes at the forum index:
forum_old.gif

Thumbs up. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads