• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E New to 4E looks for tips (Rogue)

The Essentials Thief tricks:

1. The thief can run along the wall and then attack with a +2 bonus to damage, or

2. The thief can move up to his speed and attack an isolated enemy with combat advantage, or

3. The thief can shift two squares and then knock the enemy prone, or

4. The thief can shift up to his speed (as long as he is leaving a space adjacent to an ally), then attack with combat advantage, or

5. The thief can shift two squares, attack, then shift two more squares, or

6. The thief can shift one square, throw a dagger, shift to the enemy, catch the dagger, and stab the enemy in the eye, causing blindness (combat advantage until end of the encounter), then shift two squares as a free action.

Okay, I made that last one up. But there are several other tricks available; the thief gets two tricks starting out, then adds to his tricks as he levels.

Crownless King

First Post
Well you see we haven't even started, I just figured i would get a headstart on learning what i'll need to know in the future.

What exactly are rituals? like spells?

Well pretty much in our 3.5 campaign i went for straight damage and all my feats centered around that, this time around i'm thinking i'm going to do a LOT more RP so I'm looking for feats/skills/items that will pretty much assist me in anything for laughs or anything cool outside of battle. Also anything that helps IN battle is a + but not my priority, but if i had to say, i would want to be able to do the most damage out of my party alone.

Again plz provide a book for me to find to locate all this information guys, and again thanks for everything you've provided so far.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Well you see we haven't even started, I just figured i would get a headstart on learning what i'll need to know in the future.

What exactly are rituals? like spells?

. . .

Again plz provide a book for me to find to locate all this information guys, and again thanks for everything you've provided so far.

In 4E, Rituals are things that require the "Ritual Caster" feat to cast.
The Cleric and Wizard classes get that feat for free; many other classes must spend a feat to be able to cast rituals.

Original Source Book: "Player's Handbook," page 200;
Prerequisite: Training in Arcana or Religion

Content is massive! Wizards of the Coast took a lot of the 3.0E and 3.5E Wizard and Cleric spells and turned them into Rituals in 4E.
"Tenser's Floating Disk" is now a ritual; anyone with the feat can cast it.
"Sending" is now a ritual; ditto.

That sort of thing.

mkill

Adventurer
Well pretty much in our 3.5 campaign i went for straight damage and all my feats centered around that, this time around i'm thinking i'm going to do a LOT more RP so I'm looking for feats/skills/items that will pretty much assist me in anything for laughs or anything cool outside of battle.

In 4th edition you can easily do both. You don't need to sacrifice (much) combat ability to do interesting stuff outside of combat. Even if you spend a feat on Ritual Caster, you'll still be a damage monster. This is what the 4th edition Rogue is about. I also suggest that you read the skill descriptions very carefully, there is a lot of interesting stuff you can do with them.

Crownless King

First Post
I've been looking around and i haven't found it yet, but is there an armor, or armor enhancement that changes your current gear to LOOK like another type of armor? this would help a ton as a changeling.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yes there is. Imposter's Armour from Adventurer's Vault. Available starting at +2 chain, scale and plate armours (level 6).

EDIT: Technically, this just turns your armour into clothing and gives a bonus to Bluff checks as part of a disguise. Also none of those armour types are any good for Rogues. There might be a better one, but I can't remember at the moment.

Last edited:

Remove ads