New to D&D - Level x magic item?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Just to expand on Sabathius's excellent explanation, the following products come as a box, not a "stand-alone" paperback book:
- Dungeon Master's Kit
- Monster Vault
- Threats of Nentir Vale

And of course the various tiles and minis. :p

DadToD&DBoys

First Post
DS - thanks. Good detail and ideas. So far we've got the Red Box, Dungeon Master's Kit, and we just subscribed to DDI.

With other activities and school we haven't had too much D&D time lately, but the kids love everything to do with D&D - I'm enjoying it too. Though, as you say, there is much to learn. I imagine there's a point when kids realize that dad doesn't know everything... In fact, dad knows very little. When my kids grow up and look back I'm sure this D&D time will be that realization moment for them (grin).

We've actually been using playmobil figures as our minis as they can hold little interchangeable daggers, or swords, or bow and arrows, or whatever. I think they are too big, but the kids don't seem to mind so all is good so far.

Dad to D&D Boys

jffdougan

First Post
DS - thanks. Good detail and ideas. So far we've got the Red Box, Dungeon Master's Kit, and we just subscribed to DDI.

With other activities and school we haven't had too much D&D time lately, but the kids love everything to do with D&D - I'm enjoying it too. Though, as you say, there is much to learn. I imagine there's a point when kids realize that dad doesn't know everything... In fact, dad knows very little. When my kids grow up and look back I'm sure this D&D time will be that realization moment for them (grin).

We've actually been using playmobil figures as our minis as they can hold little interchangeable daggers, or swords, or bow and arrows, or whatever. I think they are too big, but the kids don't seem to mind so all is good so far.

Dad to D&D Boys

Playmobil figs are a bit on the large side for medium size creatures, but work very well for Large/Huge sized humanoids (ogres, giants, and so on).

A bit closer to scale, if you've got them around your house, are LEGO minifigs. They're 1 1/4", if I remember correctly, vs. the almost 3" for Playmobil. However, as you've noted, if the kids don't mind, no real reason to change.

The link here is about 4 years old now, but still worth reading.

keichiku

Villager
Hey Pops, I'm one too. I play 4e with my kids (8 & 9 years old) and the hardest part is for them to read the Character Sheet. I choose to read it for them and I translate into game terms (in my head) what they tell me they do. But anyway, my recommendation its "the" recommendation the it's in the DM Guides: Prepare an encounter, check the applicable rules, read those rules and try. Miss. Repeat. Thats all. Eventually you'll get the knack of it. Rulewise you don't actually need many books. For me, today, Rules Compendium (for that, the rules compendium), Monster Vault and the Heroes Book you fancy. Also, as a side note the classes from the old books of 4e are actually easier to play than the one in the essentials. Figures. If you need a prepare adventure, go for the Keep on the Shadowfell and replace the monsters for the updated ones on the Monster Vault. That's it.

Trit One-Ear

Explorer
[MENTION=6671075]keichiku[/MENTION] has some excellent points, that's how I've been running my campaign with my twenty-something friends too.
Ultimately, D&D is just a rules structure to roleplay within. Some people prefer to focus more on the rules and how they interact, but I know I was more focused (especially at a young age) with the story-telling and the roleplaying side of things (and it sounds like your sons are too). My biggest advice is to not let the rules weigh you down, but let them support you.

Ichneumon

First Post
If you need a prepare adventure, go for the Keep on the Shadowfell and replace the monsters for the updated ones on the Monster Vault. That's it.

Dad To D&D Boys, here's a link to the Keep On The Shadowfell pdf (4.8Mb). It's significantly updated and improved from the published original, and you and your boys will get plenty of adventuring fun out of it. You may want to tone down the Irontooth encounter, though!

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
The main problem with the irontooth encounter is letting the outside kobolds and the inside kobolds get combined into one encounter. Yes, it makes tactical sense to have the kobolds retreat into the cave when they are outmatched, but letting them do so turns a challenging encounter into a deadly one.

So let your kid know that if the kobolds retreat it will be a bad thing, or (if they do retreat) that the PCs should take a short rest before entering the cave.

Remove ads