• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New to Eberron

sirwmholder

First Post
So I've just got around to picking up the Campaign Book and was curious what additional reading / source material would be most beneficial. I've really liking what I've seen so far and I am open to just about any suggestion.

Thank you for your time,
William Holder

Crothian

First Post
The books do a very good job of providing what the titles say. So, I recommend finding out what you like about the setting and getting the books that support that.

Glyfair

Explorer
A lot depends on whether you intend on playing or DMing as well.

Recommended for background

Five Nations
Dragonmarked
Forge of War
Player's Guide to Eberron
WotC Online Dragonshards

Recommend for Player use

Races of Eberron
Dragonmarked
Faiths of Eberron

Recommended for DMs

Secrets of Xen'drik
Secrets of Sarlona
Dungeon #133 for "Chimes at Midnight"
Dungeon #115 for "Steel Shadows"
Dungeon #117 for “Fallen Angel”
Dungeon #150 for "Quoth the Raven" (not out yet)

Most resources are pretty good, but these stand out (in those roles), in my opinion.

For a list of Eberron resources online outside of the WotC site see this thread.

sirwmholder

First Post
Well so far I'm really digging the elemental powered train... I don't know why I didn't think of that before... it dovetails so nicely with the way Golems are created... I suppose anything that's uniquely Eberron or just plain cool with the presentation would be my first choice. I'm also very interested in the history and was curious if the novels were any good. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Dragonmarks and will probably reread that section tonight.

Thanks for the quick reply Crothian,
William Holder

Doug McCrae

Legend
Sharn: City of Towers and Secrets of Xendrik are both excellent.

Avoid Player's Guide to Eberron, Races of Eberron and Five Nations, they mostly just redo material from the setting book. Avoid Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, it's the definition of the word 'railroad'.

For inspirational material, watch Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Klaus

First Post
Secrets of Sarlona is pretty much another campaign setting in the same world, and a very cool one. Can't wait for Amazon to deliver mine.

Destil

Explorer
I have to second Sharn, as it's basically the ECS volume 2. The dragonshards articles are also excellent (and free!).

Most everything else you can pick and choose depending on the focus of your game.

Wik

First Post
I like the Explorer's Guidebook, if that's what it's called. It's got a lot of info on flying ships, trains, and whatsits. I've read it pretty much cover to cover - great book (if only I could remember it's name!)

Klaus

First Post
Wik said:
I like the Explorer's Guidebook, if that's what it's called. It's got a lot of info on flying ships, trains, and whatsits. I've read it pretty much cover to cover - great book (if only I could remember it's name!)
Explorer's Handbook.

You were close enough. :)

Remove ads