• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbie wants to publish for d20

zorak_zoran

Explorer
Does anyone have any advice for someone (newbie) who wants to start publishing for the d20 system?
What do I need to watch out for?
Are there any good FAQs or primers for new publishers?

I have print, design and writting experience, just not for gaming and not for d20. Though I have some (IMHO) ideas I'd like to publish -- adventures mostly.

Any suggestions or advice is really appreciated.

zz

JoeGKushner

First Post
If possible, work for another d20 publisher first. It would seem to be a good way to break into the business and sharpen d20 familiarity at the same time. When the d20 system first came out, there were mechanical mistakes in almost every product but today's consumers are a little more demanding.

Just advice from a consumer who really doesn't want to see another company of adventurers. Necromancer and Fiery Dragon both do an excellent job with them. Fantasy Flight Games does an excellent job with the mini-adventuers. Try out for the AEG mini-adventurers.

Lots of opportunity to test the waters prior to leaping in.

I saw I'm not looking for another module publisher because with the variety of poor material out there, ala The Brotherhood of Prophecy, to the interesting/good Gryphon's Legacy, there are too many companies for even devoted fans to support, both internally, (has anyone seen the next part of Scarab Games or Gashlight? Even Chaosium is pretty slow) and externally.

Orcus

First Post
What ever you do, make sure to search the company web site and look for submission guidelines. Most people want good samples to evaluate. They dont want it in the format of your choice, they want it in the format of THEIR choice. Guidelines are like a mini-audition. If you cant follow the submission guidelines it gives us little confidence that you can do the other things we will need you to do.

Good luck!!

Clark

DSC-EricPrice

First Post
Another way to break in may very well be submitting your work for some of the many contests that have cropped up this spring. Two that pop up in my mind right off the top of my head are the one being hosted by Dragon Scale Counters and the one by Thunderhead Games . I am sure there are others if you look.

These get you some publicity with the people you are wanting to see your stuff and, if you get published, could help spread your name out to even more people who see the adventure after it is published.

Good luck with your writing

Eric Price
Dragon Scale Counters
http://www.dragonscalecounters.com
http://www.dragonscalecounters.com

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
zorak_zoran said:

I have print, design and writting experience, just not for gaming and not for d20. Though I have some (IMHO) ideas I'd like to publish -- adventures mostly.

Theres been some good advice here, expecially the line of entering the various compotitions out there to get yourself noticed.

But you really do need to know the system and how it plays out, I'm pretty sure there arn't any publishers out there who really have the time to walk you through the ins and outs of the system.
So my first advice would have to be learn the rules and then get yourself noticed.....

zorak_zoran

Explorer
Thanks for the advice. Also, dungeonkeeperuk, my subject line is a little misleading. I've played D&D since 1979. I'd be a newbie for publishing RPG material. No one would need to teach me the game.

I'll give the two methods a go and see where it takes me. Thanks.

zz

DungeonKeeperUK

First Post
zorak_zoran said:
Thanks for the advice. Also, dungeonkeeperuk, my subject line is a little misleading. I've played D&D since 1979. I'd be a newbie for publishing RPG material. No one would need to teach me the game.

Apologies there fella, just a misunderstanding.
Saying that mind I to have been DMing since about that time, now with a kinda mis match of all the editions, so when I came to write it opened my eyes to all the little bits I now realised I never really know... :rolleyes:

Good luck anyway mate

DaveStebbins

First Post
There is lots of good advice in the FAQ which is referenced in the "What is the d20 System?" Announcement message at the top of this forum. Start there and follow lots of the links to other FAQs and advice.

-Dave

Remove ads