• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Next Deities & Demigods (now with poll!)

Which gods do you want to see next?

• Asmodeus

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Avandra

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Bahamut

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Corellon

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Erathis

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Gruumsh

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Ioun

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Kord

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Lolth

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • Melora

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Moradin

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Pelor

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Raven Queen

Votes: 78 51.0%
  • Sehanine

Votes: 20 13.1%
  • Tharizdun

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Tiamat

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Torog

Votes: 34 22.2%
  • Vecna

Votes: 32 20.9%
  • Zehir

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • Other

Votes: 18 11.8%

Ripzerai

Explorer
Torog
Divine Gaoler
The Watchful, the Tormentor, the Cruel, the Elder Sign
Aliases: Laduguer, Dalt, Yog-Sothoth, Scahrossar, the Patient One, Elder Elemental Eye.

Torog is the god of imprisonment. He is prayed to by those in gaol in hope of liberation or preferential treatment, and by those outside to keep the imprisoned in. He is a cruel god, fond of torturing those under his care, but it is believed that he will mitigate the punishments of those who offer him sacrifice.

While all gods take advantage of Torog's indespensible services on occasion, Torog is no one's servant. He is a free agent, and he imprisons and frees at his own discretion. If given suitable incentive he may create a prison for another god, or even watch over a prisoner directly. He is also happy to renege on this bargain if given suitable motivation; he does not consider this to be dishonorable, for all imprisonment falls under his domain, and all others are only supplicants who must bow to his authority in this regard.

While there are many imprisoned entities throughout the planes, including Tharizdun and countless primordials, Torog's role is not to keep these beings within his realm. Instead, he imparts some of his divine power to the task of keeping the seals on the divine prisons shut, and dispatches his minions toward punishing those who would work toward their escape. Many myths tell of the unnamed trickster god whose connivings resulted in the death of the creator of the humans; it was Torog's task to bind the trickster with the sinews of his own son, and to supply a serpent to eternally drip venom in his face. When Kord took a human lover, his divine consort transformed her into a cow and gave her for Torog to guard and to torment. It is also said that Corellon petitioned Torog to ensure that Lolth could not escape her banishment.

Many in subterranean lands consider him their patron, and as a result he is sometimes depicted with many of the attributes of subterranean species: tentacles, oozing slime, many eyes, scales, and bat wings. Underdark dwellers, for example lost human races and certain duergar or derro groups, typically believe that Torog has cursed them with their harsh existences because of their past sins, tormenting them until they, as a race, undergo penance for their crimes. Alternatively, they may believe that it is the surface that is the true prison, and pray to Torog to prevent the inmates of the bright lands from escaping into the cool shade of their own domain. A drow house once turned to his worship, revering him in the form of a golden eye and carrying magical rods that writhed with tentacles, in order to challenge the dominant church of Lolth. While the Lolth-worshippers ultimately triumphed, there are still isolated communities of drow in the depths who revere Torog.

Torog is normally portrayed as a member of the worshiper's race (a troglodyte will see him as a troglodyte, while a human will see him as a human) with many eyes or faces. He is often shown with chains and manacles, and depicted in the traditional garb of a torturer. His priests, too, often wear elements in their clothing inspired by gaolers and torturers, and they may practice these professions in addition to their priestly roles. Others may be guides to the subterranean lands, using their knowledge of tunnels and secret ways to shepherd those who can pay the price to and from the bowels of the earth, or abandoning those who cannot pay their fee. More rarely, he is depicted as an attractive female dressed in black leather, carrying a scourge and sharp knives dripping with blood. Torog's dominion over prison doors extends to planar portals, and he is prayed to by those hoping certain ancient gates remain barred shut, or by those hoping to draw back the fabric of existence and let long-banished entities back in. He is both the door and the key to the door.

Last edited:

Derren

Hero
Considering that this god would just become a glorified boss monster I would vote for "none".

This is a delightful attempt to incite an edition war. It's also something we have absolutely no patience for putting up with. Folks, please use this as an example for how not to post.

If this caution is at all unclear, feel free to PM me. ~ Piratecat

Last edited by a moderator:

Starsunder

Explorer
Considering that this god would just become a glorified boss monster I would vote for "none".

Actually knowing what you are talking about before voting would probably serve you well; there was no stats in the article, "merely" lots of great fluff and backstory on the deity, including aspects, followers, and (I think) a paragon path or feat.

The more you know...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Am I the only thinking that Raven Queen will be inspired on Neil Gaiman's (Sandman) Death?
While I dunno if they will go that path officially (I think the Morrigan angle is more likely) that is something I latched onto in my personal vision of the Raven Queen. Along with Morrigan and own stuff, quite a mix of things (adds to the mystery too in that how she is viewed can vary so much).

Green Knight

First Post
For those who haven't seen it, here's a pic of the Raven Queen. Or at least a pic of how she'll look if Orcus gets his way.

2388363RavenQueen.jpg

Starsunder

Explorer
Kinda hard to tell from that angle and considering that she is mucked up, but I dig the purple eyes and pale goth look; always how I saw her in my head at least (if a bit more regal).

Nice throne as well.

Remove ads