Next RPG to invest in, need some help.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I didn't see Paranoia listed, but the newest version recently released from Mongoose Publishing is a lot of fun, easy to learn, and good for a short mini campaign between longer campaigns.

Jhaelen

First Post
Mutant Year Zero and Coriolis are both using the same game mechanics. I participated in the Kickstarter for 'Tales from the Loop' which is also based on these rules. It's very rules-light and focuses on the storytelling, so it should be very easy for your group to get into either system. Actually, my impression was that the system is best suited for one-offs, but perhaps that's specific to 'Tales from the Loop'.

Savage World: Rifts is also something I'm curious about.

Wystan

Explorer
So you have Cypher system - that is my go-to rules light system.... can you maybe add details on why it did or did not work for you?

So you have Cypher system - that is my go-to rules light system.... can you maybe add details on why it did or did not work for you?

So I tried running a campaign of The Strange, which I backed at the print lover level, my group enjoyed it but that group is gone. I live in a military town so my players often get out of the military or get orders. My newest group has no real interest in The Strange which is funny because none of them have tried it. I ran multi-session version of Numnera, asked them if they would mind if I made Numenera a world in The Strange and they all said they wanted to go back to 5e. So as of right now it's just a preference thing for my players. They're all dead set on fantasy. I want to be a little more diverse but I don't have a whole lot of player choices right now.

Arilyn

Hero
Well, maybe you can talk them into 13th Age. It's a very addictive game. Dungeonworld is a blast as well, if your players are willing to try something different. Good luck.

JonM

Explorer
I would add my voice in for both 13th Age and Dungeon World, although, of the two, you might find that long-term D&D players may adapt more readily to the former (DW not only has a different system but also quite a different philosophy). If you are aiming for a different sort of fantasy with a crunch level roughly comparable to 5th's, then it's hard to beat Ars Magica (although some would argue that Runequest and/or Shadow of the Demon Lord rise to that challenge). If you want something totally different but no more complex than 5th (actually, less so) both Fate and Cortex are good games and have the added advantage that they don't lock you into any particular genre. Having said that, D&D players sometimes have trouble grocking/appreciating these two (especially, Fate). And, of course, Star Wars is a perennial favorite. Really, though, you should settle on a genre, before settling on a game, and, as someone else said, consult with your players.

Wystan

Explorer
So I tried running a campaign of The Strange, which I backed at the print lover level, my group enjoyed it but that group is gone. I live in a military town so my players often get out of the military or get orders. My newest group has no real interest in The Strange which is funny because none of them have tried it. I ran multi-session version of Numnera, asked them if they would mind if I made Numenera a world in The Strange and they all said they wanted to go back to 5e. So as of right now it's just a preference thing for my players. They're all dead set on fantasy. I want to be a little more diverse but I don't have a whole lot of player choices right now.

I used Cypher system and created a Fantasy world... Just played it with Fantasy flavor, Cyphers were potions or scrolls or small trinkets... Artifacts were the +1 weapons and such...

Example Below:

Adjecticve = Descriptor
Noun = Type
Verbs = Focus

1. Race can be a descriptor but need not be. You can be an "Elven Noun who Verbs" or be any "Adjective Noun who Verbs" that happens to be an elf... The Racial descriptor will be more of the *Stereotypical 'Race'*

2. Focus selection will be limited and will exclude 'Super Powers' and 'Futuristic' (unless your background has a great reason)

3. Type can be selected from the Cypher System Game Book:
From Cypher System:
Warrior - physical, action-oriented people.They’re more likely to overcome a challenge using force than by other means, and they often take the most straightforward path toward their goals
Adept - masters powers or abilities outside the experience, understanding, and sometimes belief of others.
Explorer - a person of action and physical ability, fearlessly facing the unknown in strange, exotic, and dangerous places. Explorers are physical, but also probably knowledgeable.
Speaker - wields words, influence, and leadership. Speakers are smart and charismatic. They like people and, more important, they understand them.

Racial Bonus:
Human: +2 Stat Points as desired
Elf: +1 Int, +1 Speed
Dwarf: +2 Might
1/2 Elf: +1 Stat Point as Desired, +1 Speed
1/2 Dwarf: +1 Stat Point as Desired, +1 Might
Others to be discussed

Jhaelen

First Post
My newest group has no real interest in The Strange which is funny because none of them have tried it.
I'm not sure it's strange not to have any interest in a game just based on its premise or setting. You don't have to try everything to decide whether it's for you or not.

It's also not unusual to return to a system you know rather than experimenting with new ones, unless you're really convinced they're going to be great. I've found that there aren't many players who are interested in trying out new systems. For many, learning new rules is a chore, even if it's a rules-light system.

Remove ads