NG vs. NE: Neutral Evil is Victorious!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Something may or may not enter the arena, as far as Michaela is concerned.
Stats, for the mods and NE only: [sblock] Advanced 7th-level Shadow Cloaker Sorcere
huge aberration (extraplanar)
HD 10d8+70 plus 7d4+49 (181 hp), Init +7, Spd 15, fly 60 (average)
AC 26 (-2 size, +3 dex, +11 nat, +4 mage armor)
BAB +10, Grap +26
Full atk: Tail slap +16 melee (2d6+8) and bite +11 melee (2d6+4)
Space 15/Reach 10
SA Engulf, moan, spells
SQ DR 5/magic, darkvision 60ft, low-light vision, plane shift, resistance to cold 15, save bonus, shadow blend, shadow shift, SR 22
Fort +14 Ref +10 Will +16
Str 26 Dex 17 Con 24 Int 16 Wis 14 Cha 22

Concentration +14, Hide +8, Int +13, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +10, Listen +15, Move Silently +21, Search +6, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +10, Spot +15

Combat Reflexes, Flyby Atk, Improved initiative, Improved Natural Attack (tail), Improved Natural Armor, Spell Focus (illusion)
Engulf (Ex) like normal cloaker pretty much, except Large or smaller
Moan (Ex) like normal cloaker pretty much, except DC 21

Spells Known (per day 6/8/8/5, CL 7, DC 16+SL, DC 17+SL for illusion*)
0 - daze, det. magic, ghost sound*, mage hand, ray of frost, read magic, touch of fatigue
1 - color spray*, mage armor, magic missile, prot good, ray of enfeeblement
2 - minor image*, see invisibility, web
3 - haste, lightning bolt

(The stat block says that mage armor is already cast and it was included as per the book.)

plane shift (Sp) 1/day to the Shadow plane, wheeee
save bonus (su) +2 luck, factored in
shadow blend (Su) - in any conditions other than full daylight a shadowcloak elder can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will
Shadow shift (Su) - as a normal cloaker pretty much, but DC 17 and CL 10
[/sblock]

Action(s): [sblock] Venckman enters the arena to the north at 105n flying silently (at -5), away from the fog. Once he's fully within the arena at 105e and activates shadow blend and keeps flying, ending at 105n90e10z heading west (less than 60ft movement, but more than half).[/sblock]

Decription, for later viewing by Greybar when the mod tells you to: [sblock] You see a huge, flying manta ray with hateful red eyes and a crooked maw full of needlesharp fangs. Its body ripples in shades of black, gray, and pallid white, and it has a long, lashing whip of a tail. Its wingspan is about 12ft and it appears to weigh on the order of 400 pounds.[/sblock]

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Righto. I'll wait for a go-ahead on Michaela's move then, in case the action affects me.
Also, note to self/all - the instant email notification doesn't care about sblocks... so you can use it to find out when action has happened, but don't look! Eek!

PJSlavner

Explorer
Venckman[sblock]The precedent has already been set that spells are not already cast (githzerai), even if in the stat block. You take no damage from the force blades. Now I have to find the cloaker. Does the shadowblend ability give any hint of its existence? Are there shadows dancing around it that one can see, or is it virtual invisibility?[/sblock]Greybar[sblock]Michaela hears something enter the arena, but cannot determine where from. She did not hear blades rip into anything. She acts now in round 118.[/sblock]

Infiniti2000

First Post
Greybar, really? Also note that quoting someone's reply will show you the info inside the spoiler block.

Mods: [sblock] I remembered that happening, which is why I made sure to point it out. :)

The cloaker is in the SRD.

I provided the entire description on the shadow blend, but it says that the elder shadowcloak has the Shadow template. If you know where that is, you should be to get more information. Or not. I'm guessing it's identical to the shadow mastiff, which seems provide even less info. This ability was brought up in the Rules forum and the consensus was that it was equivalent to invisibility. The only debate about it at all was whether an attack negates the shadow blend. It doesn't say so, however, like it does with invisibility, so I think the rules are that it doesn't. In that respect, it's kind of like greater invisibility but it can be negated by daylight. If you decide to rule differently, let me know as I think the creature would know and therefore I can take actions appropriately.[/sblock]

PJSlavner

Explorer
Venckman and Gansk[sblock]I have always ruled that it was not like invisibility with regard to the shadow mastiff (yes, I have had at least one shadow mastiff in my campaign), but now I am fairly certain that it is like improved invisibility. Gansk, what do you think?[/sblock]

Gansk

Explorer
Venkman & PJSlavner:
[sblock]I always ruled that the shadow mastiff (at least in non-darkness conditions) could be seen, but always has a 50% miss chance, like permanent displacement but from another source. I know I played at least one other shadow creature this way. I would think that the shadow mastiff is truly invisible (as in greater) only in darkness conditions.[/sblock]

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Michaela does something

[sblock]
SLA - Invisibility
MEA - from 40N80E10Z to 40N80E60Z
Looking for the new opponent...
[/sblock]

PJSlavner

Explorer
Round 118 (cont'd):

Greybar[sblock]Michaela sees a huge shadowy form at 105N90E10Z. She cannot see exactly what the form looks like.[/sblock]Venckman[sblock]You do not hear or see anything. You lead off round 119. I am going with Gansk's interpretation because there has been a precedent set and I do not feel strongly enough to change it. Gansk's interpretation seems to imply that shadowblend is always on, so you could have used a spell or spell-like ability when you entered the arena.[/sblock]

Remove ads