D&D 5E No Armor: Addiing Proficiency to AC

Remathilis

Legend
The title says it all.

In a setting which armor is impractical (say, a more modern-world setting) would adding your proficiency bonus to AC break bounded accuracy? (AC would range from 12 to 16 before dex, capping at a max of 21 with a 20 dex).

Astrosicebear

First Post
I would think modern style armors would be essentially the same as old-world style armor just with different names. Full plate becomes Infantry Armor, Splint becomes Riot Gear, etc. Can easily keep equivalents.

Your suggestion works until those 'special' classes that do this already get gimped as now everyone can do it. Prof plus stat plus stat would make those special classes, like monk, possibly OP. (Dex + Wis + prof) 16 dex and 16 wis, and you have a first level monk with AC 18. That will only grow. While not absurd, it could get out of hand with any basic AC boosts.

But once you add firearms, it all goes downhill. However, I dont think this edition is moving towards firearms and touch AC, since touch isnt a thing... so that bodes really well for firearms working more in line with other weapons.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would personally wait for the DMG's take on firearms before considering that particular house rule for more modern settings. But that's just me - I'm not under any time pressure.

trentonjoe

Explorer
You'll want to think about how to handle monks and barbarians, who get a max AC of up to 26 in this system.

Just remove the monk and barbarian class. The whole point of them getting the 2nd stat modifier to AC is so that they can have a competitive AC, if no one is wearing armor and everyone gets their profiency. literally every class will have similar AC. Bounded it is!

trentonjoe

Explorer
It actually makes the AC spells (Mage Armor, Shield, Shield of Faith) even better. It's a neat dynamic twist that the spell casters will have the highest AC.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have been thinking a little about this. For those proficient with heavy armors maybe get a base AC equals 10 plus 2xprof bonus (only 1xprof if they add in DEX bonus too) and those that have light armor proficiency have a base AC of 10 plus prof bonus.

It's a little clunky right now, but those are my thoughts.

Mercule

Adventurer
You'll want to think about how to handle monks and barbarians, who get a max AC of up to 26 in this system.
This is probably the biggest concern. Without those classes, it would probably balance out with magic armor at higher levels.

Armor is a fairly universal concept, though. It's just the nature that changes. The only reason armor feels "impractical" in a modern setting is because the setting is less abstract to us. It's not like the average yeoman, or even bandit, actually wore even light armor in the Middle Ages. Modern cops, soldiers, and high-end security guards all wear armor. Those are more equivalent to the PCs.

If you're running a modern setting, reskin leather to a biker jacket, studded to basic Kevlar vest (wearable under shirt), chain shirt to heavy Kevlar vest/jacket, breast plate to Kevlar with metal/ceramic inserts, chain mail to standard riot gear, and full plate to heavy combat armor.

If you're going to go the other direction (cave man/barbarian), then it's a matter of just how many skins the PC wants to pile on. Max armor probably is medium. Roman or Greek era would be appropriately limited, with a max at around medium. Both settings would be countered by having lighter weapons (no longsword or longbow). If you went with more monstrous opponents, you're starting to break out of strictly historical stuff, so feel free to let them have easier access to magic armor, rather than heavy armor.

Ultimately, though, 5E armor rules tend to balance out between heavy fighters with high strength and light fighters with high dexterity. Any setting that favors low/no armor is probably going to also favor easily concealed (and generally more finesse) weapons, anyway. If you do end up with a strength-based Heracles, just let him have a Nemean Lion skin to wear.

Maybe add depending on armor proficiency:

no armor proficiency: +0
light armor proficiency: +1/2 prof bonus
medium armor proficiency: + prof bonus (max 2 dexterity bonus)
heavy armor proficiency: +1.5 times prof bonus (no dexterity bonus)

You may chose the best for you.

I would however add some things like:

light kevlar: +1 AC (max dex 2)
heavy kevlar: +2 AC (no dex bonus)

etc. this way you should get armor in sensible range. Is it elegant? no, but it should work.

Remove ads