• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No DDI for 5e??

Sammael

Adventurer
Killing the magazines in the first place was one of the things that produced gallons of bad blood. Returning them in some way without tying them to specific edition electronic tools (Morningstar) would go a long way towards making amends.

A quarterly model would be OK with me, but I'm not sure we'd see as much diversity as we used to...

Starfox

Hero
Since DDI will presumably receive no more new content, having it on a subscription model seems weird now. Will they drop the price? Change to a flat, one-time charge? Someday down the road I hope that they make it free.

With the numbers of subscribers dwindling, they may have to keep subscriptions the same merely to support site maintenance. Which is of course self-fulfilling.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think it's a missed opportunity. Bring back the on-line mags with 5e content, and *boom* all DDI subscribers are enthusiastic early adopters of 5e. And it's a chance to dangle tempting 5e content in front of 4e hold-outs who are still subscribing for the tools.

I suppose they just want to get rid of the tools as fast as possible, even if it means cutting off a subscription-based revenue stream.

delericho

Legend
The [MENTION=17465]Wizard[/MENTION]s_DnD Twitter account says No DDI for 5e:

What do you think?

Not a surprise. Once they announced Morningstar it was pretty obvious that the DDI, as such, wasn't going to get any new content. They'll keep the existing tools there as long as there are enough subscribers to pay for ongoing maintenance (and whatever profit WotC wants from it), but eventually they'll pull the plug.

I remain interested in the question of the magazines, though. It seems unlikely they'll be part of Morningstar at all, so will they be a separate subscription offering, a regular PDF offering, back in print... or just gone?

Lalato

Adventurer
I'm a DDI subscriber. I'll remain a DDI subscriber until I stop playing 4e regularly.

I miss the physical magazines as there is no better bathroom reading material, but I don't miss the DDI versions of the magazines one bit. There were a few good articles here and there, but mostly it was system bloat and mediocre adventures. I tended to skip some articles just based on how bloaty they made me feel. That said, I probably wouldn't subscribe to new magazines, but I might impulse buy them at the store.

Because of my current DDI subscription, I highly doubt I will subscribe/purchase Morningstar. If I do, it will likely be because I have ended my DDI sub.

Shinju

First Post
I watched a Youtube interview with Mike Mearls where he said that DDI was only going to remain to support the 4e tools and would stay up as long as it continued to support itself with subscribers. 5e would be project morningstar. He did not mention how the magazines would be handled but did say they would be restarted.

Since I cannot post a link to the interview yet, search for "Mike Mearls Dungeons & Dragons 5e interview, 6/26/14" if you want to view it.

SigmaOne

First Post
Or the magazines could go through Morningstar.

Or they could put the magazines out quarterly as books. They'd get the physical form factor without having to deal with magazine distribution.

Or they could just not.

Or Thaumaturge.

I would actually be pretty happy with a quarterly.

Remove ads