• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No DDI for 5e??

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
As I still have about two years to go with my 4e Zeitgeist campaign, that's good news because it means they won't be in a rush to push 4e stuff aside to make room in DDI databases for 5e stuff.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I was an enthusiastic part of DDI from the moment I could sign up. It was excellent VFM, even without some of the promised features, but since my 4E campaigns have ended, I've now cancelled.

I was quite happy with the magazines as PDF's, but would be even happier to see a print version of the mags restored. As someone else said though, I really don't see how they will make that viable unless they can re-capture huge mind-share from a divided customer base.

Starfox

Hero
I too was a DDI subscruber when I played 4E. I absolutely adored Pazio's Dungeon and like Dragon, but the DDI version never appealed to me. Not because they were PDFs, more because they were not up to Pazio's standards. Late Pazio-era Dungeon was simply amazing, I still use those magazines a lot.

I feel the fate of the magazines is linked to that of the game itself. If 5E can engender a rpg revival, with an influx of new customer (something that is actually possible now with a simpler, more accessible game), the magazines might return. I really wish this would happen, but I am not holding my breath.

reiella

Explorer
As I still have about two years to go with my 4e Zeitgeist campaign, that's good news because it means they won't be in a rush to push 4e stuff aside to make room in DDI databases for 5e stuff.

I have a different view on it. Even if there was overlap in the service, I don't see them pushing 4e out, just simply no longer developing/supporting it. Which is pretty much what we have now. However, without 5e stuff in DDI, people are going to stop paying for it (reasonably so), but that also means they have less reason to keep the resources available.

Dungeoneer

First Post
So does 5e really have no use for a Compendium? Or is that going to be part of the app?

I think the magazines need to return in SOME format. They represent a place where experiments with the game can happen without ruffling too many feathers. They are also an important way of finding the next generation of D&D developers. Hopefully they will bring back Dragon soon (Dungeon is fine too, but Dragon has been around almost as long as D&D!).

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I was all set to stick with DDI because I genuinely thought that at the very least they'd continue with the two magazines online with all kinds of 5E, and spending $5 bucks a month for those PDFs were a pittance (plus still getting all the 4E builders and compendium access.) But now that it's been confirmed that Insider is strictly 4E only... I went ahead and cancelled my subscription auto re-up. Which is fine because my sub goes on through like to 08/19 or so... and the final night of my current (and last) 4E campaign is in early August. So I have my access through the end of the campaign, and then I can ride off into the sunset on DDI.

Although if they end up bringing the two magazines back in some other format or subscription, I'll probably sign up for those when the time comes.

gyor

Legend
I'm betting that they outsource the magazines again probably to Paizo again. I mean they outsour ed the Tyranny of Dragons adventures, they outsourced Morningstar. I think they're going to out source everything except the most core products like the Core 3, and Setting books, and maybe the main yearly splat book.

Remove ads