• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E No DDI for 5e??

Agamon

Adventurer
Is this actually news? I thought we were getting P:M (good thing morningstar is one word) for 5e and DDI was staying up for 4e. And never the twain shalt meet.

That's what I always thought, anyway.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
They had implied as much, but with the magazine question still out there, I wasn't sure.

This quote makes the possibility of the magazines coming back as a part of DDi unlikely.

Thaumaturge.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Well, the functionality DDI provides for 4e is going to be replaced by Project Morningstar for 5e. There's a thread about signing up for the Bata.

Honestly, they're making the right call. DDI was designed for 4e and I think it reflects it's mindset. Hopefully, Dungeon and Dragon will be completely divorced from DDI (if they're not already) and free to support 5e as it rolls out.

They're doing the right thing with Project Morningstar. I'm hoping this doesn't turn into another Fluid/Mastertools fiasco, but the people working on it seem nice enough. The project wasn't announced until a few weeks before going into beta, and no one is making any promises. Right now, I'm happy with using a fillable pdf as for my computer generated character sheets. I'm comfortable with the amount of math needed to stat-up a character.

Sammael

Adventurer
I'm hoping for a resurrection of Dungeon and Dragon, once a month, in PDF format which can be printed on demand. Even though I'm not going to play 5E, I'd subscribe as long as there was edition-neutral content.

Physical format would be better, but I think it's a pipe dream at this point.

Agamon

Adventurer
They had implied as much, but with the magazine question still out there, I wasn't sure.

This quote makes the possibility of the magazines coming back as a part of DDi unlikely.

But...magazines through dndclassics.com is still a possibility.

As are physical magazines. But if they want to burn money, they can always just send it to me instead.

Dungeoneer

First Post
Since DDI will presumably receive no more new content, having it on a subscription model seems weird now. Will they drop the price? Change to a flat, one-time charge? Someday down the road I hope that they make it free.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Or the magazines could go through Morningstar.

Or they could put the magazines out quarterly as books. They'd get the physical form factor without having to deal with magazine distribution.

Or they could just not.

Or Thaumaturge.

Remove ads