• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No Hero's Welcome - IC

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Novhilion grins a little, as well. He turns to Caron, now a little sullen that he was denied the opportunity to steal something. <Oh, come now. At least they agree.> Caron hunches his shoulders and gives an irritated caw. <I still liked the first plan.> Novhilion shakes his head good-naturedly, and turns to Abe. "Ensign Harper, I believe that this would be your area of expertise. Baraka will lower the rope for you, you will commandeer the craft, which we will then board." Novhilion turns to the rest of the group, outlining the plan. "Then, we enter the building through the ventilation shaft, as QUIETLY as possible, and then confront whatever confronts us."

Caron raises his head at the last part. <You don't have a better plan?> Novhilion shrugs. <Oh, gods, we're all going to die.> Novhilion looks towards the warehouse, contemplating on what a peculiar day today was. <The unexpected will undoubtedly happen, my friend. For the better or for the worse of us.>

Andreas

First Post
Watching the whole discusion in silent, Abe nods to Novhilions words
Hmm, i guess it could work. If Barak climbs the side of the house and lowers me some rope, i think i can get the skycoach up and running. Watch my backpack and my shield and weapon for me, i will leave it here with you so i can be silent enough to not alert the guard. At least that is what i hope...
I have to say, i really like this plan, i allways wanted to fly one of these things, and till now i didn´t even had a chance to see one of them up close.
Lets make haste then, we wouldn´t want the guard to show up just as i dangle from the side of the house, would we?

[sblock]Novelion, in with language are you talking to your raven btw?

And here are a few rolls of mine, if you need more just tell me:
Move Silently: 9+2=11
Climb: 17-1=16
Balance: 13+2=15
Examine the skycoach: 18+X=?
Use magic device to start it: 8+5=13
[/sblock]

Last edited:

mhd

Adventurer
While Novhilion and Ensign Harper are talking about the details, Baraka starts running for the shop, trying to stay in the shadows. He quickly scales the wall to the roof and starts walking across it, slowing as he crosses the last few steps over the canopy of the stable. The wood below him isn't of the best construction and the wooden beams give of a slight creaking sound...

Meanwhile, the conversation in the alleyway has finished. While the rest of "Team Dragon" looks at the scene, Abe is crossing the alley, showing to everyone that he clearly didn't serve in a commando unit. Nevertheless, he makes his way to the warehouse and waits below the crane assembly.

Baraka got to the top of the warehouse unnoticed and quickly pulls himself up into a crouching position on the front wall, lowering down a rope. After Abe has secured himself to that, he ascends to the top of the building without a hitch, the firm hand of the shifter steadying the gaunt arcanist. It's just a few feet to the floating 'cart, and with a good push courtesy of Baraka, the ensign lands on the platform, carefully moving to the control platform. The dead halfling makes him slow his step for a moment, but the control panels arcane beckon makes him forget his queasiness. A confusing array of crystals is mounted in a brass plate, pulsating randomly -- at least to the untrained eye. He might have never steered a flying vehicle, but it's obviously of Cannith construction, whose magewrights often use the same patterns. He locates the appropriate crystal switches and the skycarts starts rising. And rising.

After the rest of you probably held their breath or mumbled curses, the 'cart finally changes direction and is heading over the street, then abruptly dropping -- but Harper manages to stop the contrivance soon enough. Having waited for just that moment, the rest of you scramble up to the hovering cart, climb aboard and wait for the return tour to start...

Watching the street, Baraka guards your ascent and waves Harper to the right position for him to land. As the cart is moving the last few yards, the shifter drops to the roof and looks through the skylight at the floor below. His heritage gives him an advantage over the raven and he can make out most of what happens below. While a gnoll is watching from atop a stack of upturned metal bowls, an ash-covered ogre is carrying a palette full of iron bars -- inscribed with a circular mark. While Baraka watches and the cart lands, he's putting it down besides a steel grid and starts putting the bars next to similar stacks already on the platform, grabbing a few of the heavy objects with each hand.

Tensen, Harper and Novhilion dismount the skycart without a hitch, but Oakheart's weight causes some slate shingles to splinter. The ogre remains oblivious, but the gnoll twitches and raises his head to the roof.

[sblock]
Some "behind the scenes" information: As the climb to the warehouse really is a routine task, taking 10 was no issue and Baraka made it easily. Harper wasn't as good at hiding his presence, but no one you're aware of was looking and he surely was silent enough.
After he got to the top of the cart, figuring out the control was all about noticing details, so a Search check was involved. He made that easily with a 16+9, so he know what switches to throw. The dexterity check to get it to move the way he wanted wasn't that great, but no lasting damage was done...
Moving across the street was no problem for the rest of you guys, but once atop, Oakheart fumbled his Move Silently, while the gnolls senses remained sharp.

If you want it that way, I can include the results in the main text the next time.
[/sblock]

frostrune

First Post
Baraka curses silently at the clumsy warforged as he sees the gnoll's ears perk up. Hoping he is not too late, he lurches back away from the skylight grabbing the collar of anyone else who is peering down in.

[sblock] He is trying to avoid being silhouetted against the night sky. [/sblock]

mhd

Adventurer
You sit in silence on the roof, waiting... Something can be heard moving...
After a few heartbeats, a voice resonates from down below: "HOOLD OOONN!"

A great whirring sound serves as a prelude to the loud crash, as a rampant ogre, covered in soot and slate slivers smashes through the roof, stretching forth giant fists filled with iron ingots! Standing on a crane platform, only his barrel chest and head protrude from the broken roof.

Baraka (Ref 19+5), Lt. Tensen (Ref 20+0), Harper (Ref 15+2) and Novhilion (Ref 17+2) remain standing while Oakheart (Ref 5+2) and Kuro Gemshard (Ref 5+1) fall prone around the hole where the skylight once was.

OOC: Let's get started. Tell me your initiative and your basic strategy for the next few rounds.

Last edited:

Nazhkandrias

First Post
Novhilion deftly leaps out of the ogre´s path, his Elven agility hard at work. He catches his balance, and his mind focuses on the new threat. Ready to assault the beast at the first opportunity, Novhilion calls upon the arcane resevoir deep within his mind...

[sblock=For mhd, Or Anybody Who Wants To Coordinate Tactics]OK, I rolled a 15 for initiative, giving me a total of 17 on the initiative list. First and foremost, could we get a battle chart? I want to know if I'm in AoO range, where the edges of the roof are, etc. Right now, my primary concern is casting shield upon myself, to keep from getting splatted in the first turn. After that, I will cast ray of enfeeblement upon the Ogre, to try and knock down its damage and accuracy a bit. Finally, after that, I pull out my bow and open fire. Keep in mind that I want to avoid AoOs for this entire encounter, using 5-foot steps to step out of range if I can, casting defensively if I can't. For when I fire the bow, I move back as far as possible before firing, but not TOO close to the edge. I'll give firm details when (and if) we get a map.[/sblock]

frostrune

First Post
Baraka reacts in the blink of an eye, rolling to more stable footing out of reach of the ogre's deadly grasp. He comes up firing his bow but the attack has little power behind it and only scratchs the enraged beast.

[sblock] Baraka has an initiative of 21. He hopes to put some distance between him and the ogre (move action) and fire an arrow at him (standard action, AT hits AC 21 but only does 3 hp of damage).

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1112115

I plan to keep blasting him full of arrows unless too many people engage in melee and start obstructing my shots (ie: more than the -4 penalty for firing into melee) or ordered to do otherwise. Tactics may change if someone falls or is in dire peril.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Necro_Kinder

First Post
Oakheart curses himself as he stands up and backs away from the beast, drawing his crossbow as he does so.

[sblock=Tactics]
Oakheart will stand up and back away from the ogre, pull his crossbow, and pump him full of bolts. If any one gets seriously injured, he will heal them if he is closer than conrad is.

INIT: Oakheart= 9, Swift Tooth= 16

Swift Tooth will stay back and try to not fight unless Oakheart needs his help (as in is prone, dying, on fire, etc.)
[/sblock]

Andreas

First Post
As the beast emerges, Abe strugles to get to his shield. After he strapped it to his left arm, he fumbles at a little chain around his neck. You see a iron symbol attached to the chain, now resting on his small chest. As he recognise how strong and ready for violent the enemy looks he trys to stay out of his reach. Then he slowly moves to one of the openings in the roof, searching for the other person who should still be in the house.

[sblock]I am at work with no dices, so please roll for me.

Abe is trying to stay out of battle with the ogre, and want to see what the gnoll is up to. If he can spot him, he trys to put him to sleep (with his spell) so we can question him later and he can´t get away. After he casts the spell (sucessful or not) he stays defensive, and only participate in combat to heal his allys (if the warforged get injured he uses a infusion, otherwise he casts his adept spells).[/sblock]

Ion

Explorer

[imagel]http://homepage.usask.ca/~rad764/dnd/Tensen-avatar.jpg[/imagel]

"With luck we will see tomorrow in Cyre!"

Conrad draws his sword, and situates his shield on his left arm. He levels his sword at the ogre's chest, and looks him straight in the eyes before using his most Commanding (DC 13) tone. "Lie down on the ground!" His voice is loud and steady, but his sword arm is ever read for action.

[sblock=Conrad's Plan]Initiative 18+0=18. If the command works, Conrad will begin looking around for the other combatant, and look to engage him. If it doesn't work, he will advance on the Ogre and engage in melee combat. [/sblock]

Remove ads