D&D 5E No New Races in Xanathar Guide to Everithing

Just FYI, now you're confusing an AL rule for something affecting our home games.

There's nothing saying you can't play a PHB class with Volo race with a SCAG subclass and a EEPC spell...

AL play is only assumed in the AL forum ☺

They've recommended it for other games and said that one of their design assumptions is that you're only using one book. Either because of AL or because you're not a collector that buys everything. They're not doing the 4e thing and assuming you have everything and that everything is "Core".
It's more like 1st Edition where options aren't being assumed beyond the core rules in future books and supplements, hence why monsters were reprinted in Tales from the Yawning Portal. (Only more so, since 1e did assume you'd have certain monster books like the Fiend Folio...)

They said no new races, but I am sure in either this book or in ToA that the aarakocra will be reprinted so that they are in a hardcover book and not just in the Elemental Evil pdf. After all, it is the only playable race from the pdf that has not yet been reprinted in a book. I also hope this book reprints the spells, and any other character options not yet reprinted from the EE pdf, so that we have one less source to worry about keeping track of, both for home and AL play.

CapnZapp

Legend
They've recommended it for other games and said that one of their design assumptions is that you're only using one book. Either because of AL or because you're not a collector that buys everything. They're not doing the 4e thing and assuming you have everything and that everything is "Core".
It's more like 1st Edition where options aren't being assumed beyond the core rules in future books and supplements, hence why monsters were reprinted in Tales from the Yawning Portal. (Only more so, since 1e did assume you'd have certain monster books like the Fiend Folio...)
No, you're free to follow the AL restriction but don't assume it's in force in general.

Most gamers will not even have heard about such a rule.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads