D&D 5E No New Races in Xanathar Guide to Everithing

Sacrosanct

Legend
By that logic the game needs nothing but the basic rules, and even the options there are overkill.

Not to speak for ccs, but I interpreted his statement to be in the context of outlier classes and races, and not classes or races played by the majority of players that are in the core rulebook already.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Don't tempt us. Poe's law and all that.

I mean, we can start by getting rid of some of the races and classes. Hey ... I have a suggestion!
Not on my watch!

Not to speak for ccs, but I interpreted his statement to be in the context of outlier classes and races, and not classes or races played by the majority of players that are in the core rulebook already.

And I'm taking it to its logical conclusion.

The majority of players play what's in the basic rules, according to wotc's survey info and other market research. I for one am not gonna put money into a game that ignores a sizable minority of players who enjoy playing the "oddball" stuff. Luckily, there is no evidence that this is wotc's strategy or intention.

More likely, they just decided that a book with a bunch of races should be followed by one focused on other character options.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
While they won't be in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, I remember reading that Tortles will be in one of the AL PDFs as a player race for Season 7.

CapnZapp

Legend
Though, part of me wonders if the races of Volo’s Guide would’ve been better-presented in Xanathar’s, with Volo’s Guide made completely a DM’s product?
Problem is, it's never gonna happen. WotC quite deliberately makes every product contain something for players. A DM-only product instantly cuts the market by four fifths.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm not ccs, but I think by his logic what the game needs is crunch we can't whip up ourselves.

Like subclasses? IMO, they're about as easy as races.

Heck, the ones I see online are often less broken than the races I see.

Maybe ppl are just terrible at making roughly balanced races.

Either way, I'm not complaining about the number of available races. I'm just saying that "we don't need them" is a poor argument, because we don't need most of what has been published. Need isn't why new options get published.

Makes sense.
WotC has been very deliberate about slowly releasing content and making that content self contained. You're expected to use only one additional source in your characters. So you can have an unusual race or an unusual subclass, but not both.
Plus, they're giving us content at a rate it can actually be used and fully consumed. I doubt people have fully tapped the races in Volo's Guide and likely don't *need* new races to try something different.

I expect we might see some more races and non-subclass options in Unearthed Arcana in the next couple years though.

Remove ads