D&D 5E No New Races in Xanathar Guide to Everithing

ccs

41st lv DM
Good. The game doesn't need rules for more character races. If you want to play a ______? Work it out with your DM

CapnZapp

Legend
While your choice of race might influence your roleplaying, it is really a very small part of the mechanical crunch of your character.

And that's the hard part we want WotC to create for us. The crunch, that is.

More build options and subclasses and especially "depth options" that can enhance and complexify existing builds like spells and feats and entire new subsystems (like metamagic, superiority dice, deepened high-level play, epic options, and entirely new things like psionics or warlord-y stuff etc...) is what the game lacks in its current state.

In comparison, whipping up a race (or background etc) is simple. We can do that ourselves.

WotC has far too long gotten away with only the "easy crunch". They point to yet another meh subclass when we ask for crunch, when it is entirely new classes and their subsystems - the difficult design - we want them to do.

Since they just put out a bunch of new races in Volo’s, I’m perfectly happy with this. Sure, there are still races I’d like to see released, but I don’t think we need another batch so soon after the last.

Though, part of me wonders if the races of Volo’s Guide would’ve been better-presented in Xanathar’s, with Volo’s Guide made completely a DM’s product?

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
It makes sense.

I suspect setting specific races are being held for products revolving around their release, so my guess is, other than the UA article, we won't see Shifters, Warforged, Kalashtar, Mul, or Thri-Kreen anytime soon.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This is a good thing, IMO. Don't take up page count for something that only a very tiny % of gamers would actually ever use. Even the "popular' Three-kreen probably only has a very small amount of players who will actually play it. For things like that, it should be a DM-player collaboration thing, and not main rulebook thing. Give me material that is more widely used.

Remove ads