• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No prestige classes? I'm digging it.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
--especially since every class has a capstone ability at 20th level.
this is something I believe Fantasy Craft did better. FC classes have capstones at 14th level. That way players get the kewl trick at a level early enough to play with it a while. Likely before campaign burnout from high level play absurdities.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
this is something I believe Fantasy Craft did better. FC classes have capstones at 14th level. That way players get the kewl trick at a level early enough to play with it a while. Likely before campaign burnout from high level play absurdities.
One of the best things about both Fantasy Craft and Spycraft 2.0. :)

The Auld Grump, wait, you can do what?!!!

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, so far, out of everything published and released for my Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting, there have been no PrC designs up until now.

There is one coming out with our Way of the Yakuza - faction book, called a 'Machi-Yakko', which basically describes a yakuza street boss. I figured an archetype wouldn't work, as a fist level street boss makes no sense. By 6th level, an up-in-coming yakuza member could be elected to such a position if an opening is available. I think this fits theme, rather than niche.

The prerequesite classes for Machi Yakko are any of the allowed classes which are in the Yakuza, including: Moso (a blind bard), yakuza bushi (fighter), rogue bakuto (gambler), rogue kyodai (yakuza brother), and Horimyo (tattoo wizard) - along with skill minimum requirements.

The Machi Yakko gains some Sneak Attack progression, gains bonuses to Diplomacy, Leadership and Intimidation, gets a cut of gang profits, and 5 enchanted tattoos (which normally fill body slots, these tattoos for machi yakko do not.)

As stated, I haven't created any other Prestige Classes, but this one fills a particular theme in the yakuza.

I may or may not create more PrC - it all depends on needs for the setting.

GP

Dykstrav

Adventurer
The machi yakko is a great example of what a prestige class can be. For starters, it reflects a social role instead of a character-build role. I dig how it reflects that someone is recognized as an exemplar of their abilities, as someone that has earned a place of respect. I think that a prestige class should come with a sense of "having arrived," and the machi yakko does that.

hippononymous

First Post
I agree, there's not a lot of incentive for going prestige, even for someone like me, who finds the concept of dipping into other classes to unlock something incredibly awesome and flavorful. However, it feels like that once you go prestige, your character progression becomes predictable and unable to match that of the base class progression.

Osagasu

Villager
I've noticed that a lot of people who take prestige classes usually do so with that PrC in mind from the beginning, so I don't think that predictability is that much of an issue for people looking at PrCs.

BryonD

Hero
I love prestige classes and would hate to ever see them go.

But I think PF has done an awesome job of making them be a good option for building an idea without being expected.

Certainly PClasses have become vastly more rare in my PF games than they were pre-PF. And they are not missed. And yet they are still right there for when they fit.

win-win

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned
Prestige Classes

are probably best designed by the DM to be very campaign-specific.

Holy Vindicator seems really good to me though, I might take it. As long as I get my level 9 cleric spells, who cares if I miss two caster levels in order to get a better BAB progression and tons of extra-tanky goodness. But grabbing a couple levels of fighter is nearly as good, if only that the extra feats would help out sooner rather than later.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I've actually been looking through the prestige classes lately out of morbid interest. Previously, all I had checked on was that Shadowdancer is still pointless past level 2, Duelist still ubersucks, and Horizon Walker got some stuff nerfed (no unlimited dim door really does hurt) but is actually kind of a powerhouse in the right kind of game.

Looking through the rest in core...bleh. Eldritch Knight and Mystic Theurge hold about the same appeal as before and are decent for the archetypes they represent. Dragon Disciple technically is better since it has casting, but its laughable BAB and casting progression makes it look pointless next to EK. Assassin got hella nerfed, I wonder why they were considered underpowered. The only reason I can find to justify Pathfinder Chronicler is to be a pet cohort to a high level wizard for farming freebie standard actions. Loremaster actually got nerfed, though it's a caster PrC so I'm not too upset. EArcane Archer remained worthless. Yay, crappy CL progression! Why aren't you an EK, again? Oh, right, for a +1 enhancement bonus that never rises and thus will never be used (cripes, 3E's AA was better here!), and a free holy and X burst property. Totally worth it. Arcane Tricker's basically even with the 3E version when you factor in all the plentiful and massive nerfs to ranged sneak attacking.

The only outright awesome one I've found so far on d20pfsrd in my unfinished skimming of the non-core prestige classes is Pathfinder Savant. Which (naturally) is a caster prestige class. For the price of some crappy skill ranks, a mildly cruddy feat, and 1 lost CL (which...probably makes it not worth it, after all ;) ), you get (among other things): Always take 10 on UMD checks, use your own CL for scrolls and other spell-completion items instead of the item's CL, add a bunch of spells from ANY spell list to your own, can use magic items completely silently and even apply Silent Spell a few times/day to his actual spells, and spont. cast (greater) dispel magic!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads