No Silence for Wizards ???

Zarthon

Explorer
I am shocked, I was looking to take Silence for my Fighter/Wizard and I find that it is a 2nd lvl Bard and Cleric spell :confused:

Did'nt Silence used to be a wizard spell in earlier editions and does anyone have an idea why it is not a wizard spell in 3e?

I checked the errata and it is not in there.

Oh well:(

Edit: Spelling, spelling, spelling :)

Last edited:

Shard O'Glase

First Post
No it wasn't in 2nd edition unless you are talking about a supplement.

As for why in 3rd, because they virtually cut and pasted large swaths of spell lists with very little regard as too whether they should be added to a lsit or removed form another, and if the level of the spell should change etc.

Why don't wizards get continual darkness, why is blade barrier, chain lightning still 6th level, why is flame strike still 5th etc. Basically for the same reason as silence not being a wizard spell, that's the way it was in 2nd edition and they were either too lazy, buzy, actually thought ti was better this way(hah), or didn't want to piss off the fans so they didn't change some things.

I always thought it was a deliberate decision not to put 'Silence' on the Wizards spell list. It would be a no-brainer choice if it were a commonly available spell. Why bother to counterspell or put up defensive wards like Minor Globe if you could just cast a second-level silence spell and neutralize (or at least seriously inconvenience) enemy spellcasters?

Uller

Adventurer
There is nothing preventing an enterprising wizard from researching an arcane version of Silence. I'd make it 3rd level at least.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
If anyhting I think wizards should get it before clerics. Silence other than historical precendence doesn not fit the cleric spell list at all. They should be good at healing, divs, and inflicting nasty thigns like diseases. When it comes to flashy booms, and altering things like levitate, invisibility, and silence. Though I'd place it around 3rd for a wizard I'd put it probably 5th for a cleiric.

Xarlen

First Post
I would like to see a Personalized Silence spell.

In other words, must target. Will save. If it's failed, target cannot speak.

I'd say it'd be doable via Bestow Curse, but that's *powerful*, shutting down spellcasting or bardic abilities, so it may not qualify for the spell.

LokiDR

First Post
Xarlen said:
I would like to see a Personalized Silence spell.

In other words, must target. Will save. If it's failed, target cannot speak.

I'd say it'd be doable via Bestow Curse, but that's *powerful*, shutting down spellcasting or bardic abilities, so it may not qualify for the spell.

On par with blind/deaf?

Bards do flashy things, right? Well what is flashier than a fireball? It isn't on the list.

The point is that you can re-write the whole spell list of each class to fit your view. Maybe it should be done any way, but the more you just cross over, the more all the spell casters look the same. Even if it makes sense, sometimes the game just donesn't support it.

Remove ads