Nominations are up!!

Numion

First Post
Sooo .. now for something completely different.

I was browsing the fansites to better choose my vote. I came upon Yog-Shothoth, and stumbled on to the forums. I started reading this thread on why CoC isn't more popular, since I enjoyed that game in 90s, and even bought the d20 version.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules....topic&t=5884&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My hyperlink button doesn't work, so copypaste that to your browser.

EDIT: IT DID! :)

Anyway, I read the thread, etc .. and god damned the elitism of those people is just staggering! I can't count the times players of 'lesser' games (read = D&D) are referred to as munchkins, rollplayers, highschoolers who can't get dates .. D&D is equal to pokemon to them. All the while their own preferred game (BRP CoC) is free from such ills, and is only unpopular for the vast intellectual challenges it possesses, thus making it uninteresting for 90% population whose IQ falls below the required.

These opinions, judging from postcounts, come from established members of that forum. The hostility and their delusion of mental superiority due to their preferred game borders on irony. I mean, did anyone ever get much dates because they were an advocate of cosmic horror instead of fantasy roleplayer?

It's also ironic that message boarders of such supreme intellect completely miss the answer to their threads question (why isn't CoC more popular) while it's staring them straight in the face! (It's your own elitism and unwillingness to try to see what the masses enjoy in RPGs beyond your inane and sarcastic (and ultimately false) remarks of munchkinism and rollplaying).

So Yog-Shothoth, you didn't get my vote. It would be a shame if a fan site with such closeminded community should get the award for best, well, anything.

Numion said:
Anyway, I read the thread, etc .. and god damned the elitism of those people is just staggering! <snip>

So Yog-Shothoth, you didn't get my vote. It would be a shame if a fan site with such closeminded community should get the award for best, well, anything.

First, we didn't pick the website based on the messageboards, but on the content, presentation, and usefulness of the site. The fact that it has a messageboard just adds to the sites usefulness.

Second, what is so different about what they are saying in that thread than the d20 elitism that sometimes pops up here? Or the indy game elitism that happens on other sites? Or the WoD elitism that happens on WW based boards? I think that just about every messageboard is going to have closeminded individuals who will say that their way is the best, and everyone else is below them. Ever look in the rules forum here on ENW?

Numion

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
Second, what is so different about what they are saying in that thread than the d20 elitism that sometimes pops up here? Or the indy game elitism that happens on other sites? Or the WoD elitism that happens on WW based boards? I think that just about every messageboard is going to have closeminded individuals who will say that their way is the best, and everyone else is below them. Ever look in the rules forum here on ENW?

ENWorld is a good example how the mods and admins excellent work can result in a better athmosphere. Comments like "Game X is for high-school kids that can't get dates" don't fly on boards that are well run (mods & admins).

I've not seen such mental masturbation threads on ENWorld..

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Well, they exist, but we sure don't encourage them.

I think the sites should be judged as a whole: resources, presentation, feel, and usefulness. That way you won't let a negative minor aspect of a site overwhelm the major positives (or vice versa.)

Piratecat said:
I think the sites should be judged as a whole: resources, presentation, feel, and usefulness. That way you won't let a negative minor aspect of a site overwhelm the major positives (or vice versa.)

Agreed. The talking of a few (or even several) posters on a messageboard does not in any way reflect the overall quality of the site and it's usefulness. I'd no more judge Yog-Shothoth based on the thread you linked to than I would ENWorld based on the 4e threads Joe brings up. It's a small, small portion of the content, and rather insignifgant in the big picture. There are things I dislike about ENW, but they don't keep me from thinking it's the one of the best resources for my RPG needs. If I was a regular CoC player, Yog-Shothoth would be on my short list for that game.

Clueless

Webmonkey
After the ENnies are over - think you guys could shoot us reviews of what you liked / didn't like in navigation and layout for the sites? Can't fix problems without feedback ya know. ;)

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Red Spire Press said:
Very proud to have seen the Dark Legacies Campaign Guide nominated for best campaign setting and best art!

Congrats! Its a great book and more then worthy of its nominations...

JoeGKushner said:
How about miniatures?

Art book?

Novels?

Lots of areas that don't rely solely on the gaming market eh?

Most viable of those you mentioned is miniatures, but there is still a lot of overhead and all of these cross with the gaming market anyway. The problem with being a small company (and I speak from experience) is effectively reaching your target market. The best reviews and acclaim in the world don't amount to sales. You need to be stalwart, have a consistent line planned, a bit of luck, and a thick skin to make it. Now jumping out of the gaming arena and trying to make yourself viable in an even larger market? That's a scary proposition indeed...

P

PaulofCthulhu

Numion said:
Sooo .. now for something completely different.

I was browsing the fansites to better choose my vote. I came upon Yog-Shothoth, and stumbled on to the forums. I started reading this thread on why CoC isn't more popular, since I enjoyed that game in 90s, and even bought the d20 version.

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules....topic&t=5884&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

My hyperlink button doesn't work, so copypaste that to your browser.

EDIT: IT DID! :)

Anyway, I read the thread, etc ..
As pointed out, these topics come up on many forums for many games from time to time, and there's often a good reason there's usually a proviso that opinions posted "do not necessarily reflect those of the site owners/administrators".

I recently completed The World's Largest Dungeon, mine the only character to survive all 40 sessions and all of it recorded on audio (5+ days) and available over at RPGMP3, so hardly 'anti-D&D'.

I would also point interested parties to Yog Radio #8 and the interview with Monte Cook.

Last edited:

Remove ads