• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

non-cutsy anime

Jubilee

First Post
I really enjoyed The Twelve Kingdoms, although I was disappointed that the series was unfinished and does not seem to be nearing completion any time soon. There were some stories left unfinished.. =( Definately worth watching, and fits your criteria.

noretoc

First Post
Thanks for the great suggestions. I have not seen Cowboy Beebop, though A lot of people told me it was good. The only reason I havn't tried it is because I heard they they screw up thier missions every time. I guess I am just looking for less comedy, though I will check out an episode. I don't mind the visual style, it is most when things start to get too silly. The comic guy ending up with his face in the ceavage of some schoolgirl gets old after seeing it a few time. Thanks and if anyone has anymore let me know. I go to search netflix now!

Oh, Akira is what got me into anime. That and the old Force Five shows like dangaurd ace,etc and starblazers.

CrusaderX

First Post
noretoc said:
Thanks for the great suggestions. I have not seen Cowboy Beebop, though A lot of people told me it was good. The only reason I havn't tried it is because I heard they they screw up thier missions every time. I guess I am just looking for less comedy, though I will check out an episode. I don't mind the visual style, it is most when things start to get too silly.

Whoever told you that is wrong. Bebop is not a silly show. Some episodes have humor in them, yes, but others are deadly serious.

The Bebop series runs the gamut of every emotion - from light to very, very dark.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Nightfall said:
*still can't believe people are downing the best samurai show around* Samurai Champloo has everything going for it man. It's a damn fine show.
Seconded. Indeed, it can go over the top or be "strange", but, gosh, it's fun to watch it... and towards the end (ignoring one or two filler-like episodes) it becomes quite serious.

As said before: Witch Hunter Robin is great and has a very "Western" feel - in fact, it has a very movie-esque approach to pacing and action (at least IMHO).

Record of Lodoss War: Very D&Dish, since it's inspired by it (to a certain extent, depending on the movie you watch), but sub-par in animation quality due to the age (still okay).

Well, Cowboy Bebop is also serious and has this "movie-pacing", but I dislike the setting, but - of course - YMMV.

I've not seen very much of it, but my first impressions of Ergo Proxy are nice: Seems to be a bit Blade Runner-esque, and looks certainly non-cutesy. You may want to give it a try as soon as it is available.

I don't know if it is already translated, but Tales from Earthsea seems to be promising... especially considering that it features Earthsea and will probably better than this wretched mini-series. EDIT: There won't be a US release soon, since there is a conflict with SciFi and their live-action series... :/

Darth Shoju

First Post
Patlabor I and II - I cannot recommend these enough.
Any Macross stuff
I find the Gundam shows to be a little one-dimensional but they seem to lack the corny cliches
Battle Angel Alita was cool
Armitage
All the Lodoss War stuff (although the TV show had chibi bits at the end of each episode...but you can skip that part)

And of course, anything by Hayao Miyazaki.

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Scott_Holst said:
Hi-

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Outlaw Star and Inuyasha both are excellent Anime's with very little in the way of cutesie crap.

Scott

I might disagree on Inuyasha.. Shippo is a walking cutsey crap character. There are a lot of slapstick moments as well.

horacethegrey

First Post
Joker said:
Teknoman!!!!!!
Um...no. Teknoman is just a poorly dubbed, heavily edited version of Space Knight Tekkaman Blade, which is a fine show. If possible, try and look for the original uncut and subtitled episodes of this series.

Lord Tirian said:
Record of Lodoss War: Very D&Dish, since it's inspired by it (to a certain extent, depending on the movie you watch), but sub-par in animation quality due to the age (still okay).
You know, I used to love Lodoss War, but then I realized how much was cut from the original novels (which are excellent IMO, sure wish they get translated), that my opinion of the anime has somewhat lessened. I still like it though, but it's not the best fantasy anime out there. That distinction belongs to Berserk.

Lord Tirian said:
I've not seen very much of it, but my first impressions of Ergo Proxy are nice: Seems to be a bit Blade Runner-esque, and looks certainly non-cutesy. You may want to give it a try as soon as it is available.
I've just started watching this. It's a little slow paced, but the design work is great (a nice mixture of futuristic and gothic), and the music is awesome (love that Opening theme :) ). Hopefully it gets better as I watch more of it.

Darth Shoju said:
Patlabor I and II - I cannot recommend these enough.
Question, do you mean the two movies or the two OAV series?

Darth Shoju said:
I find the Gundam shows to be a little one-dimensional but they seem to lack the corny cliches
Among all the Gundam shows I've watched, the original Mobile Suit Gundam still rocks my boat, despite the dated animation and 70's era sensibilities. Some people will say though, that the sequel series, 1985's Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam is superior, but I disagree. I just hated the main character Camille Vidan that I never bothered watching the rest of it.

Oh, and listen to what everyone is saying. Give Cowboy Bebop a chance, you won't regret it. :cool:

Remove ads