NORSE/VIKING adventures, settings, conan type adventures

Emirikol

Adventurer
Adaptation isn't hard. Find a module that isn't a pseudo-punk, Eberron "renniassance" adventure is the difficult part. :)

I've found some fantastic old stuff from Dragon magazine on the "other" gods of the vanir that works superbly with the giants, pjuke's, and monsters..well, that and wholesale use of the Age of Conan bestiary :0

Jh

Last edited:

Mighty Veil

First Post
Against the Giants, yeah. Beowulf. Go to Wikipedia, look up Nordic barbarians, Rus, Finnish mythology, German barbarians, they were very similar to Norse ones).

Emirikol

Adventurer
Dan Bell said:

Wow, those are VERY HANDY! Thanks Dan. I intend to use the names and placeholders on my map. These look like something like that LARP movie on YouTube so it's perfect as there are PICTURES of people there.

Most links that I see are simply norse mythology. Geez, I get enough of that even from the Dt&DG's. The only thing I had to add for a Conan game is that Ymir is still supreme to Odin, thor and the "minor cults." Speaking of: Villi and Ve (Odin's Brothers) need some detailing on my part and that's been kind of fun as they are not well detailed in historical myth other than (wisdom and soul) and that they and Odin slew Ymir (the first frost giant) and made "everything" from him.

Anybody have any thoughts on the "old norse gods" and how they'd fit in with Ymir? Adhulma, Villi, Ve, Odin, and the frost giants in a Conan or Conan-like campaign?

jh

Quartz

Hero
There was an issue of Imagine magazine (published by TSR UK way back) dedicated to Vikings, and it had a Ragnarok scenario. It's somewhere in my pile of mags. IIRC there's also been an Asgardian adventure or two in Dungeon.

Thurbane

First Post
Deities & Demigods 3.0 features the Asgardian pantheon as well as a few monsters. Frostburn is EXTREMELY useful for Winterlands/Northern type adventuring.

ruleslawyer

Sadly, the short answer to your question appears to be "no," but what about the old school "Adventure Path" of T1-4/A1-4/GDQ1-7? It seems pretty easy to adapt to a northern Hyboria campaign. Just make the ToEE a forgotten temple of the serpentfolk (or some other random ancient race), complete with crawling horrors and such; the Slavelords a group of Vanir, Hyperborean, or even Stygian slavers (or classic Vikings!), and the giants and drow... well, giants and drow, and you might have something.

Soel

First Post
If you do pdf, Dog Soul Publishing has a nordic setting, Niflheim, Land of the Dead, along with some supplements for it. They do quality work (I have Sahasra.)

Remove ads