• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Nostrodomus: Predict Five Things about D&D in 2016

Remathilis

Legend
Well, 2015 is almost over. During this year, we've seen two new storylines (Elemental Evil and Rage of Demons), a new source book, a video game, and the first D&D online play-tools. It wasn't the 2015 most of us had in mind, but it wasn't bad either.

Having seen a little of WotC's game plan, cast your divination spells and let's look into 2016. What do you think we'll see for D&D next year?

My predictions:

1.) We'll finally see a License of some kind: It won't be the OGL, but something will come to allow small publishers to make 5e compatible products.

2.) We'll finally see some online tools: At least a Char-gen program will be made. Not sure if it will what we've been waiting for, but perhaps at least on par with 4e's online chargen.

3.) Ravenloft: At least one of the APs will feature Ravenloft in some capacity. Probably the Fall one.

4.) We'll get at least TWO new non-AP supplements:
Possible candidates include Eberron, Psionics, a Monster book, or another Forgotten Realms regional book.

5.) We'll get an announcement on the D&D Movie: A release date and title will come in 2016.

Yours?

BoldItalic

First Post
6.) Something very unexpected. :D

7.) A completely new class (?Mystic) added to the basic game.

8.) A book of short adventures, only loosely coupled together, for levels 1-10

No idea.
Absolutely none.

When 2015 came around I was certain we'd get one accessory with each storyline and I thought we'd get a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book.
We got far less than I ever thought WotC would have the chutzpah to release.

I expect the two storylines and maybe one accessory. Or two. Or none. I have no idea.

ccs

41st lv DM
Hmm. My crystal ball was all cloudy. So im guessing here....

1) 2 lv1-15+ Storyline APs - that I'll most likely not buy.

2) news on the D&D movie?

3) Some accessory tied to one of the APs - that I MIGHT buy (50/50, depends upon what it is. Ex: Elemental Evil board game from this year)

4) Maybe 1 expansion book. As long as it isn't a psionics book I'll probably buy it.

5) Some product/bit of news that doesn't apply to me at all
(ex: computer game expansion/digital tools. Or licensing details)

Overall I don't see WoTC receiving much of my $ in 2016.

MechaPilot

Explorer
No license.

No new settings.

No APs for existing settings other than FR.

Some news about the D&D movie. It could be a release date, a synopsis, the director (if we haven't already heard that. I forget if we have), or even a casting announcement.

Maybe online tools, though I don't expect them to work well out of the gate given WotC's history with tech-related services/products.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
- D&D Movie - related announcement that will send the forums into a tizzy. The movie itself will plod through organizational stages. No Peter Jackson to join the staff.

- Steadily improving quality of AP releases. One AP written with "import material to home games" capability in mind.

- HotDQ Mk 2 (The Proofreader's Edition), fixes egregious problems from original release, and perhaps even incorporates some forum-based suggestions for improvements.

- Something to support AL, likely an inexpensive announcement with expectation that AL enthusiasts will provide all follow up for free, as a labor of love.

- SCAG-like product for some other D&D setting, vaguely tied into theme(s) from one of the year's APs.

dmnqwk

Explorer
I predict they will poll people based on their least favourite class to play, and Cleric will top it - causing them to come up with some kind of UA that creates a better Cleric with more damage to compensate for the fact Clerics lack a lot of damage to make up for healing being spread out so much and them being left as a poor man's Bard.

Eejit

First Post
1) Some of the older Unearthed Arcana to be published in final form - e.g. psionics, mass combat

2) Yuan-ti AP

3) The Force Awakens to beat Avatar at the box office, breaking $3B worldwide, $1B in the US... what do you mean that's not D&D-related??

4) New 5E CPRG from Beamdog to be in development... possible Baldur's Gate 3? Bhaal has returned after all...

Remove ads