• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not With a Bang, I: Its Own Reward

LazarusLong42

First Post
Neither Grinder nor Arkan hears any conversation among the women and children that would indicate betrayal--the most they hear are the mothers shushing their children, in fact.

"We... wish no more harm. We can... trust you?"

Baril motions to the others to stand down their weapons. With a look to Arkan he says, "Why don't you come with us? That way you can ensure no more harm comes to your people. You can take us to your leader."

The cleric nods his assent, and says to the guards (in Goblin): "Stay here. I don't think there are more, but there may well be. Guard with your lives. May the gods favor you."

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

"No tricks, now, cleric. " Arkan says in goblin. "If you are honest with us, your people will live. Give us what what is rightfully ours and we will leave in peace. If you betray us, your death will be only the first."

Arkan will again allow the others to lead. Knowing enemies are behind them, Arkan will watch the back closely, arrow notched.

Sam

First Post
Grunlor

Grunlor opens up his mind and stares at the goblin cleric, looking for the aura of evil. After that, he quickly reviews the main room for the same.

LazarusLong42

First Post
OOC, Sam: Saw that coming. :)

Though you wouldn't have expected it from goblinkind (even though you've never been in a goblin cave before, you've learned that goblins are supposed to be inherently evil), there are no significant evil auras in the room. Instead, you feel a weird twinge... some of these goblins, you realize, used to be evil, but are no longer. Their auras indicate a state of atonement. None of the children show this sort of aura. The cleric, the fighters, and several of the women do, however.

Rybaer

First Post
Still dubious about the intentions of the goblins, Grinder will follow the others with crossbow ready. He'll continue to keep a close eye on any nearby goblin.

Brevin quietly follows the others, weapon held at the ready. He is somewhat shocked that the goblins actually wanted to parley with the group, rather than continue the bloodshed. He is content to let the others do the talking.

LazarusLong42

First Post
OOC: To those in the US, hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

You follow the cleric through a somewhat winding hallway about 100 feet long. He indicates you should turn right, though all you see is a door in front of you. He knocks on it, and a moment later it's opened--just barely--by a rather annoyed-looking human. The cleric speaks to him in Goblin.

"These ladies and gentlemen would like to speak with Arnis. And I would rather they speak with Arnis than kill more of my people."

The human replies, also in Goblin. "Your people are too great an asset to us to see many killed. Go, and save those that you can. I'll take our guests to see Arnis, though I doubt he'll much enjoy being awakened in the middle of the night."

The cleric bows his head slightly, and returns quickly through the corridor you've just come down. The man inside the door swings it open further, and says, "Well, come on in. So long as you've found us, you might as well learn about us." As you pass through the door, you enter a very large chamber--essentially decorated as though it were an inn, it's a human common room cut into the rock, about fifty feet in each dimension. There are several corridors leading away from the common room, and two other humans playing cards by torchlight--presumably the night-time guard. "This is our humble home, such as it is. Have a seat, I'll get you some tea--it's all we have to keep us awake nights--and I'll send someone to wake Arnis. I think he'll be... interested to see you."

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

Arkan does not sit. She edges closer to Grunlor. "Can you tell us, Paladin, if these men are evil?" she whispers. "This is very strange. I hope we have done the right thing to come here."

Remove ads