• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not With a Bang, I: Its Own Reward

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

Arkan is very interested in the conversation. About midway through, she sits down. "Please continue, Arnis. As you might expect, it is difficult to sort through this story. Allow us time and information to make the right decision. I appologize, as well, for killing the goblins back there, if they were not evil. I have some experience with goblins, none of it pleasent. I wasn't aware that any of them were not evil."

Zerth

First Post
"Please, Arnis, tell us more why Melian must not have the gem. And who exactly are these Irregulars you represent? I know you don't have many reasons to trust us, but that goes both ways and holding back information won't help you making us believe you," Baril says politely.

"If you're telling the truth and Melian really is a powerful mage who is capable and willing to kill to get the gem, why then send lackeys and not come for it himself?" Looking back at his companions and then Arnis the bard continues, "Right now I feel you're not convincing many of us to help you. The whole story, Arnis, you don't have anything to lose if you really want our help."

OOC: How about a diplomacy check (+5) to build some trust between Arnis and the group?

LazarusLong42

First Post
Zerth said:
"Right now I feel you're not convincing many of us to help you. The whole story, Arnis, you don't have anything to lose if you really want our help."

OOC: Diplomacy roll 11+5=16, not bad. It helps that he really does want to help--he's just not certain yet whether to trust you. :)

"The whole story. I can do my best. You'll have to understand, I don't know the whole story. Melian's a very secretive person, and Kemyl, our leader, for as much as he knew Melian before, now says he doesn't understand the man. But I can tell you about us first.

"Kemyl created the Irregulars 150 years ago, after Melian's first attack on another of those who had created the gems. He wanted to create a network of people he could trust: informants, spies, fighters, and the like, all with one purpose. To find Melian, and stop him. Obviously, given that we've been going for 150 years, we haven't been too successful.

"Over the years, the Irregulars grew. A large secret society with members in just about every city and town in the kingdom, we took on a second, more general purpose: to fight evil, even if it meant fighting dirty. No offense, my dwarven friend," he says, looking at Grunlor, "but sometimes paladins can be a little bit too caught up in law, order, and honor. We, essentially, do our best to beat evil at its own game. Does that mean playing dirty? Yes. Using poison? Yes. Anything we have at our disposal to stop those who would create real evil: death, destruction, wanton malice.

"Of course, because we do play dirty, the organization had always been kept a relatively well-guarded secret. The city guard doesn't often bring a paladin along to detect for real evil, and several of our cells have been tried by various city tribunals, rather unjustly. But all of our members understand the risks and the cause. And that is who we are.

"Melian, on the other hand, I can only describe to you by his deeds. The undead scourge that is still wreaking havoc in the West? That's his doing. The deaths of two members of the cadre that created these gems? His as well. He once destroyed an entire town in the far eastern coast of the continent through eperimentation--and I'm certain he has no qualms about doing it again. He delights in the pain of others, he relishes the necromantic arts; they are like honey to him."

"Then why," persists Grunlor, "did he not seem evil to us?"

Arnis raises his eyebrows. "It could have been any number of things, but most likely... was he wearing a shabby cloak? It looks a bit... odd for someone with his money to be wearing something so ratty? Yes... it's a cloak of deceit. It masks your morals, masks your face, and makes you seem to be someone entirely other. He uses it... often enough that we know what it does."

"And the goblins?" asks Grinder. Arkan nods.

"We do our best to turn those who know nothing but evil into useful members of society. We'd rather have them helping us fight evil, than be people we would have to fight. It's a long process, and can only be done a few at a time, but we hope there will be a time when goblins will be seen as just another humanoid race."

Baril looks Melian in the eye. "That still doesn't tell us why he would send us, rather than coming himself."

Arnis shakes his head. "As I told you... we were expecting him to come here as well. We've been waiting. I don't understand it either. Perhaps he wishes to use you as couriers another time; perhaps this is simply a test. Perhaps it is naught but a distraction, or simply a mind-game of his. I can't know for certain."

"I hope you will at least consider my offer. If Melian is sending other people to retrieve the gem for him, then our time here is essentially wasted, and we would do better to move the gem to Alten's Rock or Colinna. Though given the number of dwarves here, I suspect you might have come from Hallis Hill?"

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

"You say you wish to help you keep this gem out of Melian's hands. Why? Melian said it simply allow communication with animals. What power does it truly have?

"What would you be asking us to do to assist you in this regard?

"Before we left, Melian gave us a small coin, with which we were to contact him by squeezing it. He inferred it would only work back in the city. Perhaps you would wish to accompany us back to the city, and we could arrange a meeting."

LazarusLong42

First Post
Manzanita said:
"You say you wish to help you keep this gem out of Melian's hands. Why? Melian said it simply allow communication with animals. What power does it truly have?
Arnis replies, "I truthfully don't know--not everything at least. I know that when Kemyl and his colleagues created the gems, the intent was to create talismans that would give power and dominion over many things. This particular gem was meant to give the bearer dominion over animals. I know it makes it possible for one to continuously speak with animals; I suspect it has other powers."

"What would you be asking us to do to assist you in this regard?
"I would ask you to take the gem to our local headquarters, either in Alten's Rock, or Colinna. I will give you half the payment, and instruct my colleagues to provide you with the rest of the money." Arnis takes something out of his pocket. "I also have a replica gem. If you feel the need to return something to Melian... this may help. He may or may not be able to determine that the magical aura surrounding this gem is false."

"Before we left, Melian gave us a small coin, with which we were to contact him by squeezing it. He inferred it would only work back in the city. Perhaps you would wish to accompany us back to the city, and we could arrange a meeting."
"I cannot come back with you. I must regroup my people here before we leave the goblins to their own devices. However, I can probably send one of my people with you. In fact, that would make it easier for you to find our headquarters. For that matter, one of our members has been... well, itching to do something other than train goblins. If you accept our offer, I'm sure she'd come with you.

"As far as meeting Melian, though--I would recommend you do your best to avoid him."

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

"It is late, and we are tired. We cannot set out tonght in any case. And it is difficult for us to decide whom to trust, as I'm sure you can appreciate, Arnis. I think the group of us would appreciate some privacy to discuss our situation. Afterwards, could you provide lodging for the night if we so desired?"
OOC: Arkan will also try to remember if she'd ever heard of that city Melian is said to have destroyed by his necromancy. (Knowledge: Geography +3 (or +6 if she's already 2nd level)

Last edited:

LazarusLong42

First Post
OOC: Arkan's heard of what happened, and knows its general location (it's a good thousand miles from Alten's Rock), but can't remember a name to go with it.

"I think we can provide both for you at the same time. We have a set of guest quarters that has a private meeting area set amongst three rooms. They may not be large rooms... but they're what I can offer the seven of you. I'll send someone around with more tea, and biscuits if you'd like.

"In the meantime--like you, I feel the lateness of the hour. I will take my leave of you; Forin here will show you to our guest quarters." Arnis nods at the guard who had served the tea before. "If you have more questions--perhaps it would be better anyway to discuss them in the morning, when we're all fresh."

Manzanita

First Post
Arkan

"Thank you, Arnis, you've been very fair."

Once in the 'guest quarters', Arkan will check that the doors are well secured, and pace slowly around the walls, keeping an eye out for secret doors. Then she'll drop her gear, and sit.

"I'm a bit too wound up to sleep yet, what say we discuss this a bit before bed. The reason I was keen to go on this mission for Melian was that our opposition was goblin. I was sure than any goblin was up to no good, and getting paid to kill it couldn't be wrong. But that view now seems misguided. The fact is we don't know who to trust. Or do we? What do you guys think?"

Zerth

First Post
"I wouldn't say I trust Arnis completely, at least not yet, but I certainly don't trust Melian," Baril says. "Arnis spoke about many things, that match with his story. He mentioned the rampaging undead and I have also heard about them. I'm not pretending to be any champion of virtue, but I don't want to help a mad necromancer in his schemes."

"If I had to choose right now I would accept Arnis' offer. But I'm speaking only for my part, of course," Baril adds.

Remove ads