• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: My policy on accidental rolls (like the one you made in post 1148) is to ignore them and reroll. You have just as much chance of getting a good roll this time as you did the last time, and if it was a bad roll, you wouldn't want to use it, if it was a good roll, you would, so just rerolling removes all bias and makes it random.

Summary: Yeah, use the most recent roll. ;)

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: I wish you folks would post your actions in order. If the fire elemental moves at all, Rapture can't hit it. Now what do Rae and I do? I mean, I'm really sorry, but the update came at 2.18am my time.

covaithe

Explorer
From safely behind Tarag, Tommy will attempt to cast magic missile from his wand at the fire elemental. Assuming it's still alive, of course.

Solange

First Post
Wik said:
OOC: 28 damage in one round, between two paladins!? BOOYAH.
OOC: I'd chest bump you, but I'm pretty sure you'd use it to cop a feel :p
Trouvere said:
OOC: I wish you folks would post your actions in order. If the fire elemental moves at all, Rapture can't hit it. Now what do Rae and I do? I mean, I'm really sorry, but the update came at 2.18am my time.
OOC: I post so I don't slow things down when it's my turn. If my action has to change, then it does. Doesn't bother me :)

Boddynock

First Post
Trouvere said:
"Stop dithering, Keldar. Do something!"

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]
Boddynock said:
"Stop dithering, Keldar. Do something!"
OOC: Yeah, whatever. Seriously, it's irritating. It provides metagame constraints on actions higher in the initiative order, and it doesn't save time, because it just leads to potential retconning.

Now that we know that if Rapture is permitted to make that attack then the elemental dies, then: (1) there's a metagame constraint on me not to do anything that might draw it away from the stairs to a point where she can't reach it (she can make a 30' move and get to it in several other squares, but she hasn't said she'll move, so there'd still be a retcon needed there), which is, however, what Keldar had in mind, to allow others to climb the stairs, since, not knowing anyone will hit, that provides us with the best chance of success (2) there's a second metagame constraint on me not to bother risking the smallish 3% or so chance of Keldar dying from a critical hit if he closes to melee and is attacked - these don't matter so much because I'd just go ahead and do whatever I'd have done anyway - but (3) there's a further metagame constraint on Rae, now that he knows he can either let the combat end this round by doing nothing to prevent the hit, or can prolong it by moving the elemental away, or by attacking Rapture and successfully hitting for 11 or more, (4) Galwynn's action in the event isn't a problem because he rolled well, but if the difference had been between a hit on a charge or a miss on a regular attack, then again Keldar's action would be meta-constrained not to block the charge (which he probably wouldn't, but it's still there), (5) if the elemental does move eastwards to target Keldar, then Tarag's and Tommy's actions becomes void, because they both lose line of sight and effect. So you see there's an unacceptable meta-control over Rae to minimise the amount of retconning that's required.

Well, so much for the big final battle.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads