[November] What are you reading?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Fisnished 2312. Interesting utopia about colonization of our solar system. Promising lot, but it is barely adressed. I understand that Robinson wanted to show that long living humans who travel in space have a different view of time than we do, but it doesn't make compelling reading.

Now I'm reading Rendezvous with Rama. Amazing so far.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'm currently reading Dreams and Shadows: A Novel by C. Robert Cargill. It's his debut novel, but he's written other things - he did film reviews at AICN and he's the co-writer of Sinister. It's about two boys - Ewan, who is kidnapped by faeries to be the offering they make to the Devil for their long lives, and Colby, who encounters a djinn and wishes for the ability to see the world as it really is, and then later wishes to be a wizard. Then it jumps to their lives as young adults in Austin, TX.

So far it's a really good book but I keep having these weird flashes of deja vu, as if I've read parts of this before. And I don't mean 'familiar things, because he's drawing from faerie lore, etc etc' but I mean like names and situations and events are weirdly familiar, as if I'd read parts of this exact thing sometime before. It is absolutely the weirdest feeling, and it keeps happening. I keep wondering if he did a short story or novella that he then expanded into a novel, or there was a long excerpt in something else I've read. Nothing in the guy's bibliography mentions anything of the kind, though.

Mouseferatu gets a shout-out in the book, too :)

Last edited:

Remove ads