What did you give for Christmas this year?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Greetings,

I took a trip this year in November over seas (im American). I had a blast doing holiday shopping for my family. I'm calling this year Parisian Christmas. With all the excitement I thought Id share with yall.

For my Mother I got her a silver bracelet in French style.
For my Nephew I got him a cordory coat with a patch that says "explore le monde" on it.
For my other Nephew I got some onsies with Eiffel tower and a tractor.
For my Niece I got a baby doll with a rubby ducky.
For my adult brothers, I got them spice kits from Jordan.
For my best friends daughter I got her Azul the boardgame in French (she is bi-lingual)

Your Turn (thats how this is done right?) What are you giving this year for gifts?

Retreater

Legend
Limiting myself here to just gaming related stuff ...

For two of my friends who are GMs - each a copy of Justin Alexander's "So You Want to Be a Gamemaster."
For my wife - a set of rechargeable LED dice, a copy of Arch Ravels (a yarn-related boardgame)
For my mom - a hand-painted Reaper miniatures Nativity set

Overall, I'm going more over the top and celebrating harder than usual this year. It's been a rough couple months. Hoping some of the joy transfers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We only barely nod to the holiday any more. But, my wife's birthday is in December, so I have this tendency of getting her a lot of stuff, and not really worrying where between the two days things arrive...

This year was all fiber-craft related stuff - a set of ergonomic crochet hooks, a yarn bowl in the shape of a dragon wrapped around an egg, and a new yarn-balling machine to replace the piece of plastic crap she's been using.

1703201252996.png

Pedantic

Legend
I'm firmly in the economic objection to holiday gift-giving camp. When the holidays occur, I do my best to deter anyone giving me anything, and rely on structured secret Santa exchanges for everything else. Then I simply ask people what they want, with a one degree intermediary if socially necessary.

Thus, this year I'm giving out coffee supplies to my sister and a variety of fantasy themed cookbooks to one randomly selected gaming friend. I expect to receive a new kitchen scale and a variety of flatpack minis.

ichabod

Legned
I was under the impression we weren't doing gifts in the larger family this year, and then at the last minute (two days ago) I was informed we were giving gifts to the younger generation. So the sublings each get a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card. Bah humbug.

Vael

Legend
My go to is always a box of homemade baked goods for friends.

So this year the current plans are:
  • Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies. Link to a video where I got the recipe, this is a new one.
  • Lemon Coconut Squares
  • Pistachio Cranberry Biscotti (probably drizzled with white chocolate)
  • Marshmallows (yes, I do make my own marshmallows sometimes)
  • Rugelach

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Playstation 5, controller and 2 games for friends 5 kids.

5x 100 cash to in-laws.

Rugs for mom.
Movies for step dad.
Puzzles for dad.
Turtle stuff for Dads fiancé.
Shirt for mamaw.
Collectible figures for wife.
A few toys for little kids.

A couple gifts for my jobless cousin to give to the family in our gift exchange.

80 toward holiday angel - where buy gifts for kids in a needy family.

Another PlayStation 5 for me and wife.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This might be the last “BIG” Christmas our family does. Mom went a little coo-coo with the credit cards*, then got upset with herself for doing so.😂 So next year- and possibly for the foreseeable future- gift cards may become the primary presents, and our list may shrink.

We sent out some gift cards to (literally) distant family members. We designed (and had made) necklaces for a handful of friends & family. Some people got warm throws; some got booze.

I also spent a lot of time in the kitchen**, making a nut & fruit trail mix, bread puddings, a seasoning mix, and Louisiana hot sausage for gifts. Those were slated for friends, family, neighbors and doctors.

We sent each of my (closest) male cousins a pair of Sperry shoes.

On the more charitable side, we got some art supplies and some clothes for some kids through our church’s “Angel Tree” program. Each kid had listed a “Need” and a “Want”, which we covered, and Dad insisted we get each a decent (Texas) winter jacket, so we did.

The one decision I still have to make is whether I give my folks the jewelry I got them on Christmas or on their birthdays, which are just weeks apart in early 2024. It’s either that, or some nifty patriotic t-shirts featuring their favorite animals that I picked up. (I’m leaning towards the jewelry for Christmas.)

* to be clear, while we spent $$$$, we’re also pretty good bargain hunters who shop sales year round, so what we spent got stretched pretty far.

** right now, the house is a wreck, and we’re hosting a small Christmas dinner gathering on Monday. So yes, I’ll be BACK in the kitchen!🤣

Remove ads