Now is the time for Enworld to expand into an untapped market!

Is it a market worth pursing though? As a 47 year old gamer with near 40 years in the hobby, my tastes are pretty diverse, but the "older gamer" who is grousing for content aimed at their specific niche tastes, are there enough of them to justify pushing past all the demands and complaints to get them to buy new product? Isn't Drivethru and DMSGuild already serving this frankly small subset of the market by making old content available? I know this feels like a slam but I mean it as an honest observation. We are talking about catering to people who remained with the hobby in some capacity since the 70/80s or are in a place where they could be lured back. Are there enough hypothetical customers to bother?

JarooAshstaff

Explorer
Is it a market worth pursing though? As a 47 year old gamer with near 40 years in the hobby, my tastes are pretty diverse, but the "older gamer" who is grousing for content aimed at their specific niche tastes, are there enough of them to justify pushing past all the demands and complaints to get them to buy new product?
I doubt many 60yo D&D grandpas are looking for new games for themselves.
But maybe they are buying for grandkids.

Retreater

Legend
If I were going to make an actual real suggestion instead of the typical snarky comment I usually do, I think there is a market that (to my knowledge) is relatively untapped - at least by the major producers of the game. And that market would have crossover with new players, busy adults, and casual gamers. It's something I frequently complain about on here in the way WotC produces their adventures.
I'd like a product line with well-organized, shorter adventures with easy-to-parse details and streamlined encounters. Something akin to what Necrotic Gnome does with their OSE adventures. Compared to those, the adventures WotC makes are stuck with the design and layout of the early 2000s - huge blocks of text, mountains of read-aloud text, incessant page-flipping to get to stats you need.
There was a push in the end of 3.5 to break-up the format of official adventures (I remember Ravenloft was done this way) and in 4e to break into "encounter zones" and include stats in the relevant sections.
If a DM buys your product, it should save them time. You shouldn't have to spend nearly as much time prepping the purchased adventure as you would writing your own.

Remove ads