• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nu Spells 3, please evaluate

Winternight

First Post
Skeleton Swap
Transmutation [Teleportation]
Level: Wizard 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full round
Target: one willing or controlled undead on same plane and one willing creature touched
Duration: instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
This spell can be used for certain types of surprise attacks, to cross areas of negative energy, and other esoteric tricks. When casting the spell, the creature touched and the undead creature providing the material component instantaneously change places through a teleportation effect. The range is unlimited but both must be on the same plane of existence. If either the undead or the creature touched are not willing to give in to the spell, it fails automatically.
Material Component: some body piece of the undead (hair, nail clipping, fingers etc.)

Last edited:

totoro

First Post
My only problem with this spell is teleportation to any place on the same plane is a 5th level power. A necromancer with a willing undead will be able to use this without restriction to put a victim inside a sealed tomb. In most cases, this will mean death (especially if the tomb has no air, is filled with water, or something even worse). The only other 4th level death spell allows 2 saves (phantasmal kiler).

In short, I think this is a 5th level spell.

Winternight

First Post
totoro said:
My only problem with this spell is teleportation to any place on the same plane is a 5th level power. A necromancer with a willing undead will be able to use this without restriction to put a victim inside a sealed tomb. In most cases, this will mean death (especially if the tomb has no air, is filled with water, or something even worse). The only other 4th level death spell allows 2 saves (phantasmal kiler).

In short, I think this is a 5th level spell.
Read again :
If either the undead or the creature touched are not willing to give in to the spell, it fails automatically.
You can`t teleport a foe to somewhere
I would like that too.
Maybe as a 5th level Spell
with an unwilling target.
Cool idea- Thank you
*Evil grin*
(My players will hate you)

totoro

First Post
Winternight said:

Read again :

You can`t teleport a foe to somewhere
I would like that too.
Maybe as a 5th level Spell
with an unwilling target.
Cool idea- Thank you
*Evil grin*
(My players will hate you)

Now I feel guilty. :(

ValarX

First Post
Actually, consider the power of this, even with the restriction of a willing target.

A necromancer would be able to transport himself safely back to his lair as long as he had a skeleton hanging out around the place.

Winternight

First Post
Thanx for the input. (Also to totoro).
Sorry for argueing here but I want to defend my cool spells
I really apriciate your thoughts but
ValarX said:
Actually, consider the power of this, even with the restriction of a willing target.
A necromancer would be able to transport himself safely back to his lair as long as he had a skeleton hanging out around the place.
Yes right that`s some kind of idea behind that.
Still it's a full round action So he can't use it in the heat of combat unless the players are giving him that chance.

wighair

Explorer
I think it sounds fairly reasonable. A sort of half-way-house to teleport, but only where your minions already are. I would say that maybe the limitation might not quite be enough to bring it down a whole level. Perhaps give it a material component cost (200gp) or put some limit on the distance (10 miles per caster level). These are of course, numbers just i pulled out of thin air! ;-)
Maybe the undead is consumed in the process.

I do think this spell offers a lot of potential for story development when bodies start getting shipped around to create "a new hub".

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads