• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN2 Anyone thinking of running a campaign

DonTadow

First Post
NWN2's release is around the corner. DOes anyone else plan on running a campaign through the new toolset?

I"m anxious to see the improvements of this toolset over previous versions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'll slide this over to Software.

I imagine I'll set up an "EN World" server like I did for NWN1. That was a lot of fun.

DonTadow

First Post
Grrr just checked again. Looks like we have a Sepetember 19th release date on it. It was mid August a few weeks ago.

I had a better experience with NWN servers than I have the entire time I"ve played on D and D. Especially when someone really puts time into it. This time around I hear there is lots of different types of overland and many more dungeon types. A typical adventure in the NWN world probably lasts a lot shorter than a pen and paper one.

Lazybones

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
Grrr just checked again. Looks like we have a Sepetember 19th release date on it. It was mid August a few weeks ago.

I had a better experience with NWN servers than I have the entire time I"ve played on D and D. Especially when someone really puts time into it. This time around I hear there is lots of different types of overland and many more dungeon types. A typical adventure in the NWN world probably lasts a lot shorter than a pen and paper one.
It's been September on the NWN2 forums and news sites for about 6 months, I think.

I will be switching over my two NWN campaigns over to NWN2 (starting again at first level) once I've gotten a feel for the new toolset. My current groups have been running (with considerable player turnover), since August 2002 and September 2003 respectively. I don't know if I agree with the last statement above, since most of my mods average about 15-20 2-hour sessions of play, which is actually longer than most of the D&D adventures I played tabletop with my old groups (most mods took about 5-6 sessions, in my recollection). It depends on how much role-playing the group does, since the combat does go much faster.

If you're looking to connect with other players/DMs, I recommend www.neverwinterconnections.com. I'm Lazybones there as well and am happy to answer questions or make suggestions for ENWorlders looking to connect with a group.

rom90125

Banned
Banned
Take with a grain of salt, but it was my understanding from posts (written at least two months ago) that the initial release of NWN2 was not going to ship with a fully functional toolset. You could play the game, but not create modules. It was said the toolset would be an add-on sometime late this year or early in '07.

Has anyone heard anything like this more recently?

DonTadow

First Post
Lazybones said:
It's been September on the NWN2 forums and news sites for about 6 months, I think.

I will be switching over my two NWN campaigns over to NWN2 (starting again at first level) once I've gotten a feel for the new toolset. My current groups have been running (with considerable player turnover), since August 2002 and September 2003 respectively. I don't know if I agree with the last statement above, since most of my mods average about 15-20 2-hour sessions of play, which is actually longer than most of the D&D adventures I played tabletop with my old groups (most mods took about 5-6 sessions, in my recollection). It depends on how much role-playing the group does, since the combat does go much faster.

If you're looking to connect with other players/DMs, I recommend www.neverwinterconnections.com. I'm Lazybones there as well and am happy to answer questions or make suggestions for ENWorlders looking to connect with a group.
Thanks, I know nothing about running an actual camapaign on it, only what i know from the permanent worlds I"ve been in on nwn servers. I'll check it out.

How long does preperation take?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
rom90125 said:
Take with a grain of salt, but it was my understanding from posts (written at least two months ago) that the initial release of NWN2 was not going to ship with a fully functional toolset. You could play the game, but not create modules. It was said the toolset would be an add-on sometime late this year or early in '07.

Has anyone heard anything like this more recently?

DM Client, not toolset, is what I hear. I thought it was shipping with the toolset and that the DM Client would be downloadable within a week or two.

talmar

First Post
The DMClient will be released when NWN2 is released just as a download.

Check out this thread...

http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=481529&forum=95&sp=0

specifically...

So, this week we're going to try and load you up with information to help clear the air and set the record straight on a few things. The first being the DM Client. The DM client will not ship with the game in the box. We looked at a number of different scenarios and the best one that the team decided upon is to release the DM Client in full as a download the same day of the release. So while it will not ship in the box it will come out with the game. That's the official word as of today.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads