• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nymph - Level 5 Controller

Bretbo

First Post
Thought I'd add the Nymph to the wiki, but wanted to get feedback first:

Nymph
Medium fey humanoid
Level 5 Controller
XP 200

Initiative +4
Senses Perception +8; low-light vision
HP 55; Bloodied 27
AC 19; Fortitude 13, Reflex 16, Will 17
Speed 6

Dagger (melee; standard; at-will) * Weapon
+10 vs. AC; 1d4 damage

Blinding Beauty (close; minor; at-will) * Gaze, Psychic
Close blast 5; blind creatures are immune; +9 vs. Fortitude; the target is dazed (save ends). First failed save: The target stunned instead of dazed. Second failed save: The target is permanently blind.

Unearthly Beauty (close; minor; encounter) * Gaze, Psychic
Close blast 5; blind creatures are immune; +9 vs. Will; 1d6+4 psychic damage, and ongoing 10 psychic damage (save ends).

Fey Step (move; encounter)
The Nymph can teleport 10 squares

Alignment Good
Languages Common, Elven
Skills Heal +11, Nature +11, Stealth +8
Str 10 (+0)
Dex 15 (+2)
Wis 19 (+4)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 18 (+4)
Cha 20 (+5)
Equipment dagger

habaal

First Post
I looks pretty cool, the math seems fine by my standards. I actually think it has that classic folklore feel to it that makes me want to write adventures around, same as the satyr or the unicorn, whose design I really liked.

Good job, I'd like to see some paragon- level versions of that as a lurker, maybe.

erf_beto

First Post
Blinding Beauty (close; minor; at-will) * Gaze, Psychic
Close blast 5; blind creatures are immune; +9 vs. Fortitude; the target is dazed (save ends). First failed save: The target stunned instead of dazed. Second failed save: The target is permanently blind.
I'm not really good at the balancing monster thing, but this part jumped at me. Isn't "permanently"too much? I know Remove Affliction can handle it, but I think you should change the second failed save to "the target is blinded until it takes an extended rest", or maybe do a disease track progression thing... this is a 5th level monster, after all. Perhaps higher level nymphs could be... preetier :p

Bretbo

First Post
I looks pretty cool, the math seems fine by my standards. I actually think it has that classic folklore feel to it that makes me want to write adventures around, same as the satyr or the unicorn, whose design I really liked.

Good job, I'd like to see some paragon- level versions of that as a lurker, maybe.

Thanks! Hmm, other versions sound interesting...

erf_beto said:
I'm not really good at the balancing monster thing, but this part jumped at me. Isn't "permanently"too much? I know Remove Affliction can handle it, but I think you should change the second failed save to "the target is blinded until it takes an extended rest", or maybe do a disease track progression thing... this is a 5th level monster, after all. Perhaps higher level nymphs could be... preetier

Good point. I'll make that change. Maybe "Mother Nature, Level 15" should have this ability a permanent?

chronoplasm said:
I think blinding and unearthly beauty should have the charm keyword.

Charm is more about control, the blinding and unearthly beauty is more damaging. Figure I'll leave it as is, but thanks for the comment.

This looks pretty cool, but I fear that the nymph would sorta run out of things to do in a fight. She tries to catch as many enemies as possible in Unearthly Beauty to deal some ongoing damage. At that point, her only options are to either try and daze/blind people every round, and then poke at the blinded shmucks with her dagger.

I think she needs something more:

Maybe she should have a charm power where she makes an enemy attack one of its allies for a round. That seems very nymph-appropriate.

Maybe she should be a lurker and get some sneak attack damage to use against all those blinded foes.

Maybe she should be a leader, as well. I can see fighting alongside a nymph to be a very encouraging experience. Once per encounter, she can make an enemy reroll an attack against one of her allies.

A higher-level version of the nymph would be cool. She is so unspeakably beautiful that you can't even look at her. Have an aura ability where enemies have to either take a penalty to attacks or subject themselves to some special power.

ozkose

First Post
Thanks for good job.
I agree Bend Bars/Lift Gates that this creature is missing an at will power that deals damage proportional to it level. For her level 1d6+4 damage would be appropriate. (Sneak attack as proposed by Bend Bars would also do)

Blinding Beauty and Unearthly Beauty are these "every enemy in burst 5" or "one creature in burst 5" if it is the former one it is too powerfull.

Also gaze attack are shown as minor actions, this allows the creature to use it tree times in a turn, If this is not your intention they would be better as standard actions.

Also WotC standard for abilities gives ability check modifiers insted of abilty mod. in paranthesis so it sould be

Str 10 (+2)
Dex 15 (+4)
Wis 19 (+6)
Con 12 (+3)
Int 18 (+6)
Cha 20 (+7)

Just added 1/2 level to them all.

Remove ads