O. M. Effin' G! [Angel, 4/28, spoilers spoilers spoilers]

So, as a full synopsis of the show, for those who want to be spoiled:

Teaser -- Gunn is about to get disemboweled in the holding dimension Wolfram & Hart was holding Lindsey in, when Illyria (hereafter called SmurFred) shows up and kicks the ass of the torturer. She rips off the necklace on Gunn, and Gunn tells her they can't leave unless someone has on the necklace. SmurFred turns and looks suggestively at the torturer, who is slowly recovering.

We cut to an image of the torturer lying on the table, looking dismayed. He picks up a big knife off the table next to him, holds it over his chest, and plunges in. Hee hee. He has to torture himself.

Main Plot -- Folks are complaining about SmurFred being a threat because of all her power. SmurFred returns with Gunn, and everyone's a little relieved. They're still angry at SmurFred, though, because she is obviously still evil and doesn't care about them, having only gone to get Gunn as some sort of creepy favor to Wesley. No mention is made of Connor from last week, or really much of Lindsey either.

As Gunn settles back into the real world, he talks with Wesley, who looks a little addle-brained and spooky-crazy, apparently from trying to fathom all the mysteries of the Old Ones (like Illyria/SmurFred).

Meanwhile, Spike is training in martial arts against SmurFred, who is cheating a bit with her time dilation powers. Angel tells Spike to quit so they can talk, and though SmurFred is completely unharmed from any of the fighting, in the middle of the conversation, she appears and looks winded and confused. Spike makes a snarky comment about how he kicked her ass.

Gunn and Angel are busy discussing some weird legal dispute in which some demons are trying to buy a woman's firstborn. The woman wants to do it in order to get her husband healed (he's gotten amnesia or brain damage), but Gunn is opposed because it's morally wrong. He holds up negotiations while Angel waffles on whether he cares. Their new liaison is accusing them of doing a poor job, and threatens they'll lose their position.

SmurFred keeps doing freaky stuff, and we get the obvious sense she's traveling through time, sorta. Eventually, she attacks Angel, demanding to know why he's betrayed her. Then she realizes she's at a different part of the time stream, and so he doesn't know what's going on. A few minutes later, Angel goes to talk to Wes and Spike, who've figured out that SmurFred is leaking energy, that her body cannot hold all the power of an Elder God, and that if they don't do something about it, she'll lose control and destroy hundreds of miles of California.

Heroically, the party (Wes, Spike, Angel, and Lorne; Gunn's trying to save the baby) goes to confront her, with a gadget of ancient extradimensional tech WR&H happens to have, with the ability to suck out god power. They track the power leakage to where they think SmurFred is, and they look around in confusion when she's nowhere to be found.

Suddenly, a wooden stake appears sticking through Spike's chest, and as he turns to dust, Illyria appears behind him. Everyone panics, and Wes brings his gun to bear. Illyria hurls the stake through Wes's heart, killing him, and then she kills Lorne. Angel screams and charges at her, and she grabs an axe off the wall and beheads him. He strikes the ground and turns to dust.

Pause for a moment as the audience gasps at what just happened.

After commercial, though, Illyria shifts back in time, and somehow grabs a 'past Angel' in her wake, pulling him through time in some sort of bizarre paradox. In this alternate timeline, they fly back to the future just after Illyria kills Angel, and she rants at him about her great power, and about how, even in this puny body, she's exerting all her power to try to get what she wants, whereas Angel is afraid to use his power at Wolf Ram and Hart to get what he wants. She's disgusted with him. Then, she grows weak, and an exhausted Illyria cracks open and explodes, destroying Los Angeles, but hurling Angel back in time just before he's supposed to die.

In this third timeline, he manages to save Spike from being staked, and then, with a little more time to think about it, Wes reveals that his plan was not to kill Illyria, but save her by draining away the excess power that would kill her. She at first refuses, saying that without her power, she won't be herself, but as she starts to crack open and begin to explode, they drain the power out (the power goes to some extra dimensional space), and Illyria falls to the ground, weakened.

A few minutes later, as Wes explains to Angel what he thinks is going to happen to SmurFred now, Angel muses about what Illyria told him. He goes and finds Gunn and the demons, and tells Gunn to make the woman sign the contract. They owe Wolfram and Hart good earnings, and the demons are their clients. Gunn is shocked that Angel's willing to give up the baby, but Angel doesn't care. He's going to use his power now.

Henry

Autoexreginated
My thoughts on this episode:

Sweeeet.

Illyria's solution to the Prison Dimension was priceless, and it was surprising no one thought of that before. But then, no one staggered the tormentor like that before, either.

Spike and Illyria's training session: Believe it or not, that dialogue made me like Illyria (or at least sympathize with her) all the more. I think Amy Acker's enjoying this part. I'm just sorry there's no more shower scenes. :)

Wes is as convoluted as ever. Yay Alexis D. and Joss' writers. His need for Illyria I can definitely understand - the thing that keeps him grounded is that he KNOWS his need is a little insane. But for someone who gained someone he longed for for 3 years, only to lose her in a week, he still needs at least that glimmer of physical presence that is left of Fred.

Gunn is where Angel was about 6 episodes ago. He may have to be the conscience of this team - he's certainly getting set up in that role. I still don't know what Joss & company are up to, but the sudden change is not making a lot of sense. Then again, his deal with Connor/Sajhan/Cyvus Vail didn't make a lot of sense to his allies from the outside either.

My favorite line of the night was from Wesley: "I suppose I should apologize for... stabbing you, but I find that I'm note sure what to say. I'm afraid we would find it a bit... awkward." :D

And my second favorite line of the night:

Illyria: You ask me to allow you to murder me?
Spike: It's not murder if you say yes.

Said it before, and again: Damn, I'm gonna miss this show.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Oh, two other notes: Anyone else catch that Amanda (the pregnant woman) was played by David Boreanaz's wife?

Also, I saw over at TVTome that a rumor is flying about a two-hour ANGEL TV movie due to air in September. I hope it's true at least in part.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Henry said:
Illyria's solution to the Prison Dimension was priceless, and it was surprising no one thought of that before. But then, no one staggered the tormentor like that before, either.

That was my first guess as to how they were going to get Gunn out. Actually I had thought they were going to do it in the Lindsey episode.

I hadn't expected Illyria to do it, though.

Henry said:
And my second favorite line of the night:

Illyria: You ask me to allow you to murder me?
Spike: It's not murder if you say yes.

Gotta love Spike. He does have a tendacy to get the best lines.

Also really loved the slightly crazy Wesley.

Henry said:
Said it before, and again: Damn, I'm gonna miss this show.

And you can keep saying it. I'm gonna miss it too. At least there is the DVDs.

Wrath of the Swarm

Banned
Banned
Ao the Overkitty said:
That was my first guess as to how they were going to get Gunn out. Actually I had thought they were going to do it in the Lindsey episode.
I don't think any of them were powerful enough to get the tormentor to wear the necklace. Illyria was probably the only one who could manage it.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
Angel and Spike working together are pretty powerful. It just seemed to me like the logical sollution to get everyone out. Gunn's solution made sense too, obviously.

John Crichton

First Post
Damn cool ep.

It has already been mentioned a few times, but it bears mentioning again: The slaughter of Team Angel was jaw dropping. Literally.

One of the top few scenes of this year's TV crop.

Wrath of the Swarm

Banned
Banned
John Crichton said:
Damn cool ep.

It has already been mentioned a few times, but it bears mentioning again: The slaughter of Team Angel was jaw dropping. Literally.

Eh. I'm growing weary of the "let's kill everyone, then go back in time and make it never happen" stories. It was overused the first time it was done, and it hasn't gotten any better.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Oh, one other note: Lorne wouldn't have been dead, would he? Doesn't he have to be dismembered, and burned? That was the only thing I found incongruous about that scene.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Eh, I'm gonna park myself squarely in the middle.

Illyria's action scenes were great - the breakout, the sparring, and the death scene. Gunn... what can I say, J. August Richards is the most under-utilized actor/character on the show. He's been the best part of this season, hands down.

The rest of it seemed... well, just kind of blah, to be perfectly honest. This almost seemed to me to feel like a filler episode, aside from Illyria's powers being reduced and Gunn's escape, it didn't feel like it has any motion to me. The intensity was similarly low. Wes and Angel seemed particularly strangely written this episode. One minute Wes is nigh-insane and Angel is regretting being at W&H, and the next Wes is normal and Angel is all corporate? It really didn't strike me as consistent at all.

Overall not a bad hour, but not really Angel's finest. I give it some leeway in the fact that it's readily obvious that this season was written with next season in mind - specifically the latter half. It's unfortunate that Angel was cancelled because of that.

Remove ads