Obi-Andy's Pathfinder Chronicles: Chapter 1 - Burnt Offerings

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

Redbeard bites into an apple, juice flowing from the corners of his mouth into his beard. He wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve. With a mouthfull of apple clearly visible in his mouth while he speaks, he says, "It not be entertainin' at all. Just be 'bout me in th' woods learning 'bout trees, flowers, an' beasts."

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
EvolutionKB said:
Redbeard bites into an apple, juice flowing from the corners of his mouth into his beard. He wipes his mouth with the back of his sleeve. With a mouthfull of apple clearly visible in his mouth while he speaks, he says, "It not be entertainin' at all. Just be 'bout me in th' woods learning 'bout trees, flowers, an' beasts."

Korbok grins and nods, tenting his fingers under his chin as he leans back. "Ah, but Redbeard, one fellow's entertaining is another's boredom. I've studied flora and fauna a bit myself. For example, I noticed an species of sandpiper on my way up the coast that I've not seen along inland waterways. Fascinating little birds. Comical and yet gracefully precise the way the probe the wet sand just within the surge line."

The dwarf pops a berry into his mouth and chews slowly.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

Redbeard continues to eat his apple, which happens to be his third one. "Ye know a lot 'bout stuff like that? Maybe we be havin' much more in common than I be first thinkin'."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Maximillian

Seeing names being proffered, the pale man returns the favor. "I am Maximillian Rexais Trebor, adventurer and scholar. Though my studies are more... esoteric, yes, that is the phrase, than your natural interests," Maximillian added to the dwarf.

OOC: Don't know if Oby wants to roll for us or not, but let me know if Max learns anything from his Kn checks.

Dekana

Explorer
Cecilia

The human lady reaches into a pouch attached to her waist and pulls out a shiny pointed object - a shuriken. While Korbok speaks about birds, she takes a minute to scratch a word into the wooden table. Pleased with her work, she taps the dwarf's arm, points to the etched-in word, then motions at herself.

C E C I L I A

She quickly returns the shuriken to its container, and while she still has Korbok's attention, grasps his right hand to shake it.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

With a mouthful of fruit, Redbeard reaches towards the pale man in greeting. "It be good to meet ye Maxi. Where be my manners," he says with a yellow toothed smile, bananna mashed to a paste covering many of his teeth. "That be Ralph," and he nods down to the massive dog behind his chair. With the sound of his name spoken aloud, Ralph stands and lets out a deep "ralf" in greeting. His wagging tail scatters a few children that happen to be standing near him.

ObiAndy

First Post
Mark Chance said:
OOC: Good idea! Korbok's sitting on Knowledge (local) +7 and, regarding anything discernible about the strange halfling, Knowledge (nature) +7. Since I'm in a helpful mood, here's a couple of die rolls: First result: Knowledge (local); second result: Knowledge (nature). (1d20+7=19, 1d20+7=21).

[sblock]
Based on chatting with local folks and overheard conversations, you surmise that the main idea behind the festival is to help the community "move on" after the past few years tragedies, collectively known as "the Late Unpleasantness". This is a way to bring everyone together, to show how strong the community is against any adversity.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ObiAndy

First Post
A bell sounds once, and on the stage a woman with short auburn hair stands at the podium. Behind her sit four wooden chairs, three of them occupied. As the crowd notices her, a hush descends and all eyes turn to the stage. She smiles and begins to speak:

"Welcome! As many of you know, my name is Kendra Deverin and I am proud to serve as mayor of this fine town. It's wonderful to see so many of you here to join us on this proud day. I'd like to extend my welcome to the many new faces I see in the crowd. I hope you all are enjoying your stay here in Sandpoint and especially if it is your first visit here I sincerely hope that you're having a wonderful time. And to all of the old faces I see today, thank you for coming and thank you for everything that each of you has done to keep this town strong in recent years. I see that even Larz Rovanky has torn himself away from work to join us today! It is truly a miracle from Desna herself! [There is quite a bit of laughter and many eyes are turned to a serious looking man dressed in all leather and wearing a sour expression on his face. Kendra waves to him and continues.] Without further ado, let me introduce your Sheriff, Belor Hemlock!"

A dour looking Shoanti wearing a worn breastplate and a longsword belted at his waist stands and walks to the center of the stage. His head is shaved and he his eyes are constantly moving about the crowd. He shakes the Mayor's hand and begins to speak.
"Thank you Mayor. Even in the heat of celebration, let us not forget the sad events that brought us to this day. And also let us not forget the souls that were lost five years ago. I would like you to all join me in a moment of silence to remember the lives that were lost in the fire that claimed our previous chapel on that fateful night. [The Sheriff lowers his head and the crowd joins him, many of them quite awkwardly as the silence persists. After the moment is over, the Sheriff raises his head and begins to speak again.] In remembering let us also not allow these events to repeat themselves. I am of the understanding that a bonfire is planned for tonight. I urge you all to observe caution during this event. [he clears his throat and smiles awkwardly] And ummm... Enjoy yourselves. Let me introduce the next speaker; here is Cyrdak Drokkus, proprieter of the local theatre."

He nods to the crowd and walks back to his chair, passing the next speaker who is already on his way up to the center-stage. This man is quite a contrast to the Sheriff; he is brightly dressed, sports a well-groomed goatee, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying the day. As he reaches the center stage he loosens his collar a bit, winks into the crowd and starts to talk:
"Well, thank you Sheriff for that uplifting oratory. Now I know this town has been through some hard times, but look at what we've accomplished [He motions towards the church.] And I'm telling you, they spared no expense with this place. Father Zantus' chamber pot? Solid gold. I kid you not, our generous nobles put a pretty copper into the construction of this joint. I think the Churches even chipped in a silver or two! I even heard a rumor that all of the Gods got together and scrounged up four gold pieces to help get this thing built! But don't take it from me, the Padre over here is the one with the direct line, he's the one you want to hear from! But before I let him get things going I'd like to take this opportunity to extend my personal invitation to each and every one of you to the new production of "The Harpy's Curse" starring the world-famous diva from Magnimar Allishanda as Avisera the harpy queen! It's all premiering tomorrow evening at the Sandpoint Theatre and it is going to be fab-u-lous! And now join me in a bit of applause for his holiness himself, Father Zantus!"

The crowd cheers as Cyrdak motions Zantus to the center stage. The young priest looks noticedly abashed at the reception set up for him. He wears the traditional ceremonial robes of a priest of Desna and a shiny silver holy symbol about his neck. He smiles and tries to calm the crowd down, eventually speaking when the applause has subsided:
"Ahem, thank you. Thank you Cyrdak. And thank all of you for coming to join us on this most Holy day. Today is a day of new beginnings so without boring you with long speeches, I declare the Swallowtail Festival officially underway!"

And so the festivities begin. People give out cheers that seem to be half joy and perhaps half release. This is a new dawn for Sandpoint after The Late Unpleasantness (the term locals use to refer to the brutal serial killings of Chopper, and then the later fire that destroyed the old temple and much of the north eastern section of town). Drinks start flowing, food barrels get cracked open, and people mill around, looking to share their joy.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Korbok, distracted from Cecilia by the goings-on on stage, pays careful attention, nodding sagely here, looking mildly displeased there. Once all is said and done, he turns back the shuriken-toting woman.

"The pleasure of this meeting is mine," the dwarf says, somewhat formally. To everyone at the table, he says, "From what I've heard, this festival is an attempt to cover over bad memories with good. Based on what we just heard, I'd say those bad memories relate to a murderer and a fire. How unfortunate. Too much wood and thatch in construction makes for a quaint main street, but also a potential source of fuel for flames."

EvolutionKB

First Post
Redbeard

"Arrr...Dire events be happenin' since I be leavin' so long ago. It not be good to be forgettin' th' past, it be better to be learnin' from it. But we be havin' a feast in front of us. Why not we be enjoyin' it?" With that said Redbeard grabs a flagon of ale and a two large turkey drumsticks. He tosses one to Ralph and begins exciteably chewing on the other. Before too long he grabs half a rack of ribs, saucing covering his face and sticking to his beard.

Remove ads