[October] What are you reading?

Mallus

Legend
I'm curious about this one and have it on a wish list for audiobooks... wondering if I should read it or listen to it.
I recommend reading it. The book's over 600 pages long. You'll want to savor the sentences in places. I can't think of a current writer better at combining literary-style prose with "OMG WHAT HAPPENS NEXT??!!"-style prose, ie he's both a great writer & a great storyteller.

Sounds like there are multiple narrators - does that make sense for the book?
There are. The first and second parts of the book have 1st-person narrators (they all might).

Last edited:

Belgy

First Post
I found a website which has lots of stories written by the community. Currently reading a book on there called Summoner :)

Nellisir

Hero
Just read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley, and Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines. I really liked both of them. The booksale is on in Ithaca again, so I'm going to swing by and see if the sequels to both books are there (or still there - all 3 sequels to Ex-Heroes were there on Saturday, but I didn't want to commit without reading one.)

Edit: And now I've got Ex-Patriots, Ex-Communication, and Ex-...something-or-another... for less than the cost of one book on Amazon. Sometimes the booksale works out. :)

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Just started reading The Penguin Book of Witches. I knew it was all primary sources going in, but it's remarkably dry even so. Just getting to the Salem stuff now.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Currently reading: The Prophecy Con, sequel to The Palace Job. If you like humorous fantasy and don't care that characters can get the occasional cappuccino or check their message crystal, this is the book for you. It's a fantasy heist novel, combining two of my favorite genres.

Wake of the Bloody Angel, by Alex Bledsoe. Eddie LaCrosse, sword jockey for hire, solver of crimes for pay, is hired by one of his oldest friends to find out what happened to her first lover: the infamous pirate Black Edward Tew.

The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison. One of the best books I've read this year. Interestingly enough, this is the pseudonym of Sarah Monette, whose new publishing company insisted she use a pseudonym. I read two of her first four novels, Melusine ,and The Virtu (Doctrine of Labyrinths), which featured two of the most angst-ridden unlikeable characters it's ever been my displeaure to read about. I don't think I even managed to finish the second book. Which may explain her new publisher's position. But her newest work is simply amazing, everything from the world-building to the characters to the dialog, etc. Too bad there are no plans for a direct sequel but I can see her point: Maia's story is, effectively, told within the single volume.

The Ruins of Gorlan (The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1) - John A. Flanagan - First book of a something like 14-book series, it's a by-the-book training- and coming-of-age story. Not all that bad, but nothing to really write home about in the first book.

Blood and Iron (The Book of the Black Earth), Jon Sprunk - Fairly good fantasy where a young man from a quasi-Age of Discovery european-analog country winds up washed ashore of a quasi-Egyptian-analog country. His country has just declared war on this one, so he winds up as a slave. However, he finds out he has the gift of magic, which immediately makes him a member of their aristocracy by unbreakable law and tradition. So he's freed and becomes a pawn for the queen of one city, who is facing a takeover by their chief religious sect. Some pretty interesting intrigue and magic, but I'm not certain I want to read more in the series.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I followed up Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth with his World Without End. While not as strong a sequel as one would hope, it only stumbles in a few places and delivers nearly as well as the former. Based on a true story, I am now embarking on The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. As a Holmes fan, I think I will find this enlightening regarding the period if nothing else. I've got The Bone Clocks as next on my list, based on what has been posted here. Thanks for the tip on that one. I am sure I will enjoy that on several levels.

delericho

Legend
I'm now 100 pages into "East of Eden", which is great. And now I know why our schools insist on teaching "Of Mice and Men", rather than Steinbeck's better novels. :)

Nellisir

Hero
Read Ex-Patriots, Ex-Communication, and Ex-Purgatory. Also read Tooth and Claw by Nigel McCrery. Currently reading through The Years Best Science Fiction: 6th Annual Collection (1989) edited by Garner Dozias, which really kinda reminds me that I don't like a lot of the SF from that period. There's a weird...I dunno, smallness to the stories that doesn't appeal. They're also pretty damned pessimistic about the future.

Remove ads