• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oddballs - wrong battlemat role for the class

Frostmarrow

First Post
In this thread we talk about battlemat roles.

Some classes are great for a particular role. Such as a fighter being a melee attacker or a wizard being an area attacker. Sometimes it's fun to play something sub-par yet interesting, such as an area attacking fighter (by the use of splash weapons for instance) or a barbarian focusing on negative influence via the intimidate skill.

Can you think of other oddballs?

pawsplay

Hero
Rogues as greatsword-wielding power attackers.

Bard offensive casters.

Paladin fencers.

All possible, just unintuitive, and perhaps suboptimal.

Aeric

Explorer
While a fencer may be against type for paladins (who are usually seen as knights in shining armor), there's nothing to say it would be a suboptimal choice for the character, especially in a swashbuckling campaign.

A barbarian fencer, on the other hand....

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Paladin fencers don't exist. They dislike doing illegal activities. Although since they would lose their Paladinhood and the associated abilities, I guess that would make them a suboptimal choice. ;)

SteelDraco

First Post
Having played a swashbuckling paladin, I disagree. The idea that a paladin has to follow the law - whatever that might be - never really agreed with me. They'll always do what's right. That's not at all the same thing. The campaign I played in was set in a single, corrupt city, where any crime was punished with a fine, and so the rich could more or less ignore the law, as long as they paid their accountant/lawyers well enough. The campaign was centered around a private investigation firm, and we thumbed our noses at the law often enough. The DM never even hinted that I wasn't acting in a manner appropriate for a paladin.

Until my paladin cheated on the woman he was dating, that is.

Nellisir

Hero
SteelDraco said:
Having played a swashbuckling paladin, I disagree.

I don't think he's talking about fighting with dainty swords, he's talking about fencing. The act of selling stolen goods.

At least, I THINK that's what he meant.

SteelDraco

First Post
Nellisir said:
I don't think he's talking about fighting with dainty swords, he's talking about fencing. The act of selling stolen goods.

At least, I THINK that's what he meant.
I... dang.

*hangs head*

pawsplay

Hero
I meant the sword thing, actually. Paladins get heavy armor proficiency, don't get a bunch of feats, don't get Tumble, don't have a lot of skill points. While a paladin can fence, it tends to be a touch suboptimal, especially since paladins are already suffering from plenty of MAD... a paladin fencer can literally not have any low ability scores.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Aeric said:
A barbarian fencer, on the other hand....

"HELLO! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!"

If that was not a Rage variant taking someone from negative HP up into positives, I don't know what it was.

-- N

BryonD

Hero
Nifft said:
"HELLO! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!"

If that was not a Rage variant taking someone from negative HP up into positives, I don't know what it was.

-- N
heh!

Nice call!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads