• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Of Mooks, Plot Armor, and ttRPGs

Thomas Shey

Legend
Isn't the thing that I've bolded basically the whole of @Manbearcat's point?

Doesn't seem so to me. I mean, yeah, the setting had to have something for PCs to do in it at least in theory, but often beyond that there wasn't much attendence to gamist concerns (they couldn't care less about anticlimax or anything resembling game balance for example).

kenada

Legend
Supporter
It’s not clear to me how anticlimax is a gamist concern either. If your skilled play results in solving the adventure trivially, then that’s what should happen. You won. That’s the point. Anything else (such as trying to force a particular outcome or feel to the events) is antithetical to gamism. I guess that could be a type of gamist anticlimax, but I’m not sure that’s what’s intended.

Pedantic

Legend
I would rather a cheap win than have the game rigged to produce “satisfying challenges”. Solving the puzzle of producing the cheap win might be an interesting exercise (though perhaps only once), but there’s no gamism in the latter.
Oh I don't think that's true at all. It's important that board state be honest, in that you can trust you can take any legal game action and the game will proceed, but you want the board state to be interesting so that your decisions actually need to be good. The problem here is conflating resolution and scenario design in challenge*. It's actually really hard to make a game system that will in and of itself produce interesting challenges (and frankly, might actually be impossible if the nature of the game doesn't allow you to set the game end and/or victory conditions), which is where GMs generally come in.

It's just that you need a quite strict division between their role in creating a world, their role in acting as the non-player agents in that world, and their role as an adjudicator of the rules. Perhaps it would be best to set that division as a principle, a guiding force for how the world/game should be created/adjudicated, even if it is impossible to achieve as a perfect reality.

*A DC 25 climb check is not more or less challenging or interesting than a DC 20 or a DC 10 one, but a castle patrolled by animated armor, made of superheated lava might is probably more challenging or interesting (though maybe not, depending on the PC position/level approaching it) than a bandit fort with a wooden palisade.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It’s not clear to me how anticlimax is a gamist concern either. If your skilled play results in solving the adventure trivially, then that’s what should happen. You won. That’s the point. Anything else (such as trying to force a particular outcome or feel to the events) is antithetical to gamism.
It's also, oddly enough, antithetical to simulation and-or realism; as it's realistic that a well-made and well-executed plan would have a better chance of great success than would no plan at all and ideally the game's simulation engine should respect that.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
Oh I don't think that's true at all. It's important that board state be honest, in that you can trust you can take any legal game action and the game will proceed, but you want the board state to be interesting so that your decisions actually need to be good. The problem here is conflating resolution and scenario design in challenge*. It's actually really hard to make a game system that will in and of itself produce interesting challenges (and frankly, might actually be impossible if the nature of the game doesn't allow you to set the game end and/or victory conditions), which is where GMs generally come in.

*A DC 25 climb check is not more or less challenging or interesting than a DC 20 or a DC 10 one, but a castle patrolled by animated armor, made of superheated lava might is probably more challenging or interesting (though maybe not, depending on the PC position/level approaching it) than a bandit fort with a wooden palisade.
The implication of rigged is that the board state isn’t honest. I would rather take a cheap win than have the GM adjust the scenario on the fly to compensate. At that point, from a gamist perspective, play has lost integrity.

For example, suppose the PCs found a clever way to leverage those lava-sentinels to bypass a planned encounter. Should the GM make adjustments to ensure it happens? Is that a “cheap win”? I would answer no and no. Figuring out those kinds of ploys is fun, and it’s not like we got nothing out of it. It’s just that it didn’t fit some other expectations (dramatic, pacing, etc).

We actually had something like that occur in my current campaign a while back. I wrote about it a while back in the five words commentary thread in post #163. To summarize, the PCs wanted to clear their hex of monsters, but they were too scared to act because of what was out there. Deirdre (the barbarian) seized an opportunity to kill two gorgons with one bulette.

Did that deny them a cool combat? We did have one years ago1 in Pathfinder, so maybe if they tried similar tactics. However, this accomplished their goals with minimum risk. I love it when players do stuff like that. I don’t care about combat per se (except to the extent the combat mechanics are working correctly), but I do care about being able to reason about the situation and figure out solutions (i.e., playing with an honest board state).

It's just that you need a quite strict division between their role in creating a world, their role in acting as the non-player agents in that world, and their role as an adjudicator of the rules. Perhaps it would be best to set that division as a principle, a guiding force for how the world/game should be created/adjudicated, even if it is impossible to achieve as a perfect reality.
That approach is pretty fundamental to my homebrew system. I want to run a hexcrawl without having to prep a hexcrawl, but I also want to do so with integrity (honest board state, etc). While I would describe the system as “campaign as science experiment”, the creative agenda is definitely gamism.

The way I do this is similar to how PbtA and FitD games do things. I use principals and mechanics to constrain how the referee can do things. That doesn’t mean there is a rule for everything, or that play is reductive. Once the referee gets to inject consequences and adversity, you can do whatever makes sense for the situation in the game world. It’s just that once you do it, it’s no longer yours to decide anymore. After all, it’s not much of an experiment if you decide the outcome.

Post #223 in that commentary thread is another example of the PCs making a clever play (this time to take out a dragon without fighting it directly). There will be fallout. They’ve indicated they are interested in taking the treasure (all 1.5M+ S of it) out of the dungeon. Other people are going to be interested in it, and getting it back to town safely will be its own challenge. Fortunately, there are mechanics to handle consequences like “someone else may find the treasure while you are in town for a few weeks” in a way that maintains the honest board state.

[1]: My favorite combat ever in Pathfinder 1e was at the end of Kingmaker. There’s a fight against a medusa that ranges across most of the dungeon floor (M3 of Sound of a Thousand Screams). The PCs put on blindfolds and tried to locate her by sound alone. That was fun. There was a temptation to peek, though that didn’t work out so well for the wizard. At least death is just a status effect at that level (17th). That poor wizard. He died at least three or four times in that campaign.

Pedantic

Legend
If you won and it was a satisfying challenge, yeah! If you won "cheaply", then that's disappointing.
This is not generally true for gamist aligned players. A plan that works is perfectly satisfying. A plan that is foiled in a manner that could be planned for (or through a risk going the wrong way) and results in a tactical situation that needs to be resolved is equally good. A plan that fails from first principles because the situation was dynamically updated in response to it renders the situation not meaningfully a game.

There is no value to making one move over another at the level of the design (notably the opposite of this must be true from the perspective of the players in game for it to be a game, i.e. a player must be able to advance a case that climbing is better than jumping to achieve their goals)...unless the game is intrinsically degenerate. A board game where the "gain victory points" action is stronger/faster to achieve the goal than any amount of engine building, or where a player's actions produce an infinite combo without interaction and so on. The occasional degenerate board state (say an enemy that physically can't hit the PCs defense value, or a PC that has no viable action to damage a foe) is pretty much an inevitable outcome of an honest, unbounded game and should generally be controlled, instead of attempted to be designed out.

There is also a question of challenge, in that you don't generally want the optimization problem to be actually trivial, where the player choice is so clear as not to be one. This is why I despise generic skill DCs, especially when paired with skill-as-approach: if the DC can't vary, and the distance to completion of my goal isn't related to the action I'm taking, then the optimization case is always "attempt to declare my highest modifier," which is trivial and dull.
The implication of rigged is that the board state isn’t honest. I would rather take a cheap win than have the GM adjust the scenario on the fly to compensate. At that point, from a gamist perspective, play has lost integrity.

For example, suppose the PCs found a clever way to leverage those lava-sentinels to bypass a planned encounter. Should the GM make adjustments to ensure it happens? Is that a “cheap win”? I would answer no and no. Figuring out those kinds of ploys is fun, and it’s not like we got nothing out of it. It’s just that it didn’t fit some other expectations (dramatic, pacing, etc).

We actually had something like that occur in my current campaign a while back. I wrote about it a while back in the five words commentary thread in post #163. To summarize, the PCs wanted to clear their hex of monsters, but they were too scared to act because of what was out there. Deirdre (the barbarian) seized an opportunity to kill two gorgons with one bulette.

Did that deny them a cool combat? We did have one years ago1 in Pathfinder, so maybe if they tried similar tactics. However, this accomplished their goals with minimum risk. I love it when players do stuff like that. I don’t care about combat per se (except to the extent the combat mechanics are working correctly), but I do care about being able to reason about the situation and figure out solutions (i.e., playing with an honest board state).
Yeah, we're 100% on the same page here. I don't have any notes.

niklinna

satisfied?
I think folks have assumed a certain meaning of "cheaply" here, especially since it was in scare quotes. Figuring out the easy win—"easy" meaning minimized risk, hazard, cost—can be a satisfying challenge: You did your homework and it paid off. If you just walk in unprepared and one-shot the foes without trying, that's clearly a cheap win and an anticlimax, especially if it costs you no resources.

The trouble arises, as hinted, when the GM considers a skilled-play easy win as not a satisfying challenge, and tries to adjust things, especially when they do so in ways obvious to the players.

loverdrive

Prophet of the profane (She/Her)
This is not generally true for gamist aligned players. A plan that works is perfectly satisfying. A plan that is foiled in a manner that could be planned for (or through a risk going the wrong way) and results in a tactical situation that needs to be resolved is equally good. A plan that fails from first principles because the situation was dynamically updated in response to it renders the situation not meaningfully a game.
Only if there was a plan to begin with.

Consider a hypothetical situation: the players are rooting out a spy that assassinated their ally. They have a list of, say, eight names of people who were seen around the victim at the night of the murder. They don't know anything else yet, so they decide to kick off the process by picking one at random and breaking into his house to search for clues, and then repeat the process.

Hooray! It just so happened that the guy they randomly picked turned out to be the spy! Yeah, their plan worked, but I don't think if that was particularly satisfying.

Remove ads