Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Repleying to post 188

To wysiwyg:

I think your character is coming along fine. What I want to address is making the class more generic you said that you did not give it med/heavy armor "due to the fact that he is a more mobile-tactile combatant" so there are no blade saints running around with greatswords/power attack/and full plate? You mention Achillies and wanting to go that route so your character would be moblie quick lightly armored skills like dodge and mobility but what if someone want to make Ajax and become a blade Saint(maul)?? give it generics tehn change to the fighter type you want

Question: Are we getting ahead of ourselves doing the changes up to lvl 20?? Why not pick a base class and make the first lvl swaps and then prepose swaps as we adventure/ lvl up. The adventure could explain some choices/changes better than explaining them all now.

Edit: forget bed spelin do to sausage fingers and lack of sleep sometimes I type with my nose as I nod off!
i try to go back and edit but then i ususlly take a nap.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ok, I'm perhaps out. My initial concept was a 3300-Spartan like character. Not an apache with some of my most disliked abilities (I don't like to specific (not weak!) abilities: favored enemy, terrain, ... and extra characters class features (familiar, companion) ... heck, most is in the ranger class.)

Last straw: monk as base. Only 'monk weapons' spear, shield, slashing shortsword (stats like cutlass), unarmed. All weapons used by a monk do monk unarmed damage (only type (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing...) changes). AC feature allows for med load and shields, but looses static bonus for monk levels. Close to the base class enough?

AC feature you mean you would get the Wis bonus but lose the pluses to AC as you advance? which is really fair over fair what am I to do??

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
This is what I wrote to answer this question in my previous post:

Abilties:
Flurry of strikes replaces flurry of blows (change in name only)
Improved Strike replaces Unarmed damage. A weapon already has its own damage dice and doesn't really change. Whereas the monk's damage does. I had two options: (a) Make the damage of the weapon change to be the same as the monk's current unarmed strike, or (b) keep the weapon damage dice the same but increase the damage dealt as the PC progresses. Option (b) made more sense to me. So I gave him a much lower damage bonus (a 20th level monk gets 2d10 for his strikes, whereas my class only has +5 for my option. But to compensate, I gave him pluses to his attack roll. If anyone prefers, I could always just go back to option (a) instead.

The standard monk is really like my monk (option a) but with unarmed strike as the chosen weapon. My variant-monk just uses a different weapon (and option b). I could always just switch back to option (a), but with a weapon that does incremental damage dice as levels are added. Then he'd be just the same.

I just had a thought...a cunning thought that might even help WD and Theroc (and me). We cannot just give up abilities because the monk has so many and receive feats instead. What we might be able to do, is be able to choose what benefit we get for losing an ability (and still be in game balance mode). This can be applicable to all classes maybe. How about the following for trading an ability (or even an ability improvement):

Choose one:
a) +1 to hit (with one weapon)
b) +1 to damage (with one weapon)
c) +1 to parry bonus (effects AC & Touch but not Flat Footed)
d) Reduce ACP by 1
e) +1 to one save
f) +3 skill points
g) +2 HP
h) One extra spell that can be cast at highest level
i) +1 caster level for determining save DCs
h) proficiency in light armor (if you have none), or medium (if you already have light), or heavy (if you already have medium)
j) Increase your speed by 10.
?) Anything else? Please note that most of the above are weaker than feats.

Class abilities that improve can be exchanged the second (and third and so on) time as well. For example:
Rogues can exchange the +1d6 sneak attack and gain one of the above. He can do the same again when he gets the next +1d6 sneak attack.
The monk can do the same when his unarmed strike damage increases, or his ac bonus, or give up any of his other abilities.

You can choose the same option more than once (even for the same weapon, AC improvement). They will be cumulative.

This will be available to all classes of course. So a ranger, paladin, rogue could also swap one of their class abilities and gain one of the bonuses above every time they swap one of their abilities.

I'm thinking that chart of swapping is very kool could even make it a little weaker if we needed to(worried about people taking a lvl of fighter for a free feat and a bunch of swaps). It would solve the problem of making full classes we just start at level one with swaps and when you go up you can swap features you don't like or don't fit with your character concept. Should we make it a house rule? And why couldn't a Blade Saint's weapon damage go up as he advances level (everyone is forgetting were playing D&D) Someone who hones his skills and tactics would be able to inflict more damgage than say another class with the same weapon. Treat the damage if it's lower than the weapons normal damage as training only begun and not perfected. When the damage equals he has come to "learn" the weapon and when it excedes he has mastered it.

Theroc

First Post
Still haven't gotten a good name for the class, but here's what I've got so far:
(Still no name for it yet)[Base Class Monk]
Swapping Concentration for Bluff, Knowledge: Arcana for Intimidate, Knowledge: Religion for diplomacy

Swapping Still Mind for another 2/2 feat (I'd just say a feat... but still mind really is weak, but since this class isn't based too much around mystical training, resistance to enchantments didn't make much sense)

Swapping Diamond Soul for a Bonus feat (Again, spell resistance doesn't make a ton of sense for a mundane combatant)

Swapping Empty Body for a bonus feat (Becoming ethereal... again... doesn't fit a showfighter without mystical training)[For the bonus feats, perhaps the fighter list+ Proficiency-oriented feats in case a players want either more armored or different weapon proficiencies...]

Swapping Ki Strike: Lawful for a bonus feat (This class has no alignment leaning, really.)

One thing I was hoping to change to suit better, was to key this classes AC bonus on Charisma instead of Wisdom(and hopefully stunning fist uses too), the reasoning being that this is more of a 'streetwise' character than one who has learned higher wisdom and such.

Trade Proficiency with Shuriken to proficency with Shortbows(Bows would likely be more useful(than crossbows) for hunting any sort of creature that may steal the families chickens or whatnot, and most farmer's don't see shurikens that much...)

Trade Proficiency with Siangham and nun-chucks for profiency with a great axe (Farmer boy cutting up wood for the family)

Trade proficiency with heavy crossbow and sai for a bonus exotic weapon proficiency(Learned due to it's rarity making it more impressive to wield effectively).

I suppose this sounds like a lot of changes, but I tried to keep it more towards a more mundane(magicwise) theme and such.

Opinions?

Tweaked a thing or two, how's this?

Theroc

First Post
It looks the same?

roflmao, that's kinda funny, since I just changed the things you mentioned, and even took it a step forward... rather than just saying "Bonus feat" I put an idea for the specifics of the Bonus feat, as well as switching Spiked chain proficiency in for "an exotic weapon proficiency"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Hmm it seems that several of the posters in this thread have registered June 09... It's either appealing to new players or someone has registered more than one account and is posting with them (which would be weird)

actually I'm going around looking for new people who want to play I found shorty cooling his heels in the Red Dragon Inn.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
roflmao, that's kinda funny, since I just changed the things you mentioned, and even took it a step forward... rather than just saying "Bonus feat" I put an idea for the specifics of the Bonus feat, as well as switching Spiked chain proficiency in for "an exotic weapon proficiency"

missed those 6 words next time color the changes :blush: thanks

Remove ads