Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ouch! Spelling hurts! Ouch! (I hate being the red-penned teacher)

Name: Linky (Linky? What kind of name is Linky? Is he someone's dog?:eek:)
User: josh
Class: Fighter
Level: 1
Race: Human
Alignment: CN
Deity: Kord
Size: 6ft
Weight: 120 (that's kg right? It's about 250lb for the Americans)
Eye: Light Blue
Hair: Brown
Skin: White

Stats:
Str: 16 (+3) (10 points)
Dex: 14 (+2) (6 points)
Con: 16 (+3) (10 points)
Int: 13 (+1) (5 points)
Wis: 13 (+1) (5 points)
Cha: 11 (+0) (3 points)
(too many development points. You have only 35. You created a PC with 39)

HP: 16
AC: 19 (Touch: 12, Flat Footed: 17)

Initiative: +2

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +5
Reflex: +2
Will: +1

Base Attack Bonus: +1
Grapple: +4

Skills:
Climb (4)
Concentration (4)
Craft - Sword (2)
Gather Information (3)
Handle Animal (1)
Intimidate (1)
Jump (4)
Listen (2)
Ride (3)
Search (4)
Spot (2)
Swim (4)
Can you show as the following example: Climb +6 [3 Ranks, Str +3, Misc +0]
You should have the following number of points at 1st level: 2(fighter) +1(human) + 1(int) +2(house rule) = 6x4 = 24 points
6 skill points to allocate thereafter.

Feats:
Toughness
Power Attack
Cleave
Investigator

Languages:
Common
Elvin
Gnomish (one too many. Your intelligence bonus is +1)

Items:
Back Pack
Bed roll
50 ft. rope
Water skin
4 day trail ration
x2 torch
x1 cure light potion (I doubt this will be affordable)

Armor & Shield:
Breast Plate (You don't have enough money for a breast plate - 200gp)
Large Steel Shield

Weapons:
Long Sword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)

Money
gp: 150 (not any more)

PS: Can you add something about his background & appearance.

thank you and don t pick on a his name I'm sure there is a great explanation for it.

wysiwyg

First Post
I'm thinking that chart of swapping is very kool could even make it a little weaker if we needed to (worried about people taking a lvl of fighter for a free feat and a bunch of swaps). It would solve the problem of making full classes we just start at level one with swaps and when you go up you can swap features you don't like or don't fit with your character concept. Should we make it a house rule? And why couldn't a Blade Saint's weapon damage go up as he advances level (everyone is forgetting were playing D&D) Someone who hones his skills and tactics would be able to inflict more damgage than say another class with the same weapon. Treat the damage if it's lower than the weapons normal damage as training only begun and not perfected. When the damage equals he has come to "learn" the weapon and when it excedes he has mastered it.

Exactly what I had in mind. Realistically, no one really knows where his career path will truly take him. A character can decide level by level where he wants his skills to improve without the need to chart out the next 20 levels before hand.

I think we should definitely make it a house rule. With this WD, Theroc and I would go back and customize the monk/ranger (whatever) the way we would want to. Once we go through the list of abilities and check if they won't kill game balance, anyone will be able to customize which ever class they choose.

We should start working on my proposed list of swaps. We need to also add in other swap options, for example:
1) Lose spells: for every 2 spells slots, gain one of the abilities. Can only be done by minor spell casters (ranger, paladin, assassin, etc). Not by wizards, bards, clerics, druids, etc.
2) Add some more arcane/divine abilities to the list (more spells, turning abilities/modifiers, etc). It will really be quite a big list. I suggest compiling it as 4 sub-lists: (a) Combat modifiers (b) Arcane modifiers (c) Divine modifiers (d) General modifiers.

Some guidelines that must be adhered to:

Alignment
A character that chooses a class that has an alignment requirement as a base class, cannot ignore the requirement. (Paladins, druids, monks, assassins, etc).

Monk
The monk's unarmed damage should not apply to more than one weapon. The player must choose at 1st level what weapon he will master and replace it with his unarmed damage. If the monk’s class is chosen, and the PC decides to wear armor, he would also have to swap out any monk abilities that do not work with armor (AC bonus, speed, etc).

Theroc

First Post
I'm not trying to be offensive at all here, but I'm starting to get baffled by all the mutating.

So... I'll let Wys and Holyman figure out the system, then try to figure it out again and see if I'll be able to work my original concept into it, or if a new idea strikes me.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ok heres the new swap rules:

To start choice a class: non PhB must be approved

Then you may swap class features and abilities for either:
1) An approved feat (something that fits the concept )
2) Choose one:
a) switch one class skill for a cross-class skill
b) +1 to damage (with one weapon)
c) +1 to parry bonus (effects AC & Touch but not Flat Footed)
d) Reduce ACP by 1
e) +1 to one save
f) +1 skill rank in a class or cross-class skill
g) +1 HP
h) One extra spell that can be cast at highest level
i) +1 caster level for determining save DCs
h) present something of your own

I think we can skip worrying about giving up spell slots and other things for the moment. Just use the above list and when you send proposals please list what it is your dropping and what you want to replace it (i.e. fighter(woodsman) lose heavy armor for (h) add hide&move silently as class skills)

another note: IC thread will be up in less than 24 hours you may join in character there if you have the following minimum posted in the rogue gallery:

Name
Height
Weight
Hair color
Eye color
Apperance (generlized eguipment or clothes only -left gear under a tree -along with facial/body type features)

Thats all you need to roleplay for the first couple days anyway.

wysiwyg

First Post
Excellent Holyman. Let me go first as an illustration (but for real also).

My PC will be an Achilles type character (see Troy movie for reference). He has the monk's base class. At first level the monk has the following class abilities:

1) Bonus feat
2) Unarmed strike
3) Flurry of blows
4) AC bonus

This is what my PC swaps/chooses
1) Bonus Feat - Choose shield profieciency
2) Unarmed strike will be swapped for the gladius (exactly the same as a scimitar, but looks like a very sharp, double edged short sword). The damage dealt will be 1d6 (until 4th level).
3) Flurry of blows will now only function when using the gladius
4) AC bonus is replaced with light armor proficiency.

And that's it.

BTW, point f) on your list - 1 skill rank in a class or cross-class skill. Maybe we should change it to +2 in a class skill or +1 cross-class skill.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Excellent Holyman. Let me go first as an illustration (but for real also).

My PC will be an Achilles type character (see Troy movie for reference). He has the monk's base class. At first level the monk has the following class abilities:

1) Bonus feat
2) Unarmed strike
3) Flurry of blows
4) AC bonus

This is what my PC swaps/chooses
1) Bonus Feat - Choose shield profieciency
2) Unarmed strike will be swapped for the gladius (exactly the same as a scimitar, but looks like a very sharp, double edged short sword). The damage dealt will be 1d6 (until 4th level).
3) Flurry of blows will now only function when using the gladius
4) AC bonus is replaced with light armor proficiency.

And that's it.

BTW, point f) on your list - 1 skill rank in a class or cross-class skill. Maybe we should change it to +2 in a class skill or +1 cross-class skill.

Are you keeping the monk weapons?? or changing to suit: dagger,javelin, shortbow or others?

think on it either way I say approved :D

on point (f) Think I would rather give out bonus ranks as they we could list it under skills as bonus ranks recieved (saves on math and paper work) and probably only used once in awhile easy way to get a rank in a trained only skill

shorty

First Post
You know you could be a little nicer about what you say, it's not always nice to just rag on some one for trying to get a character ready, and also i was trying to set thing's up right when i made my character. I was looking at two character sheet's so thing's got a little messed up, but i don't always need to put a description of my character and a back ground. I am still in the editing stage, so i can fix him up. But if your just going to rag on me and call my character a dog because of his name then your just being rude.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
To Shorty

wysiwyg i'm sure wasn't trung to be rude the things he posted in red were to show you where things needed changing. lets get your character finished for tomorrow. I have attached a notepad file save it then you can use it for here and for in LEW. Just backspace out all the XXXX's and fill in the blanks. Once you have that done just do the basics see above post about what you need to get into game. And then I'll help you with stats.

Wait wont let me do that becaus eI already have once before let me find a link.

HERE IT IS: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4838082-post81.html

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
I'm OK if you want to apply the monk's damage to a weapon. However I think you should choose but one weapon to apply this damage to as the monk only has Unarmed strike as special damage. You can use the other weapons on your list as normal (ie without any adjustments). Also, you should no longer have unarmed strike as special monk damage.

Also, maybe choose a weapon that normally deals 1d6 (the cutlass or the short spear is fine). It would be hard to explain why a master of this weapon does less damage with it than a normal warrior otherwise (for the first few levels).

I don't understand what you mean by "AC feature allows for med load and shields, but looses static bonus for monk levels." Can you please explain (via example).

Otherwise, I think it's perfectly balanced:cool:. What do you think Holyman?

BTW, read my previous post and tell me what you think.

AC feature you mean you would get the Wis bonus but lose the pluses to AC as you advance? which is really fair over fair what am I to do??

As HolyMan said :)

About choosing the special damage weapon: The longspear would give reach, so this would maybe require an extra feat.

but for the other weapons, there is a 3.5 feat in the player's handbook 2, Versatile Strike, that let's you change your unarmed damage type to slashing or piercing at will. Say he the class gives up to abilities for the equivalent of 2 feats?

Remove ads