Official 5e Classes?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Of course, this subclass variety is relatively minor and only goes so far, with most subclasses merely shuffling around where you get advantage and new ribbon abilities.

The only real way to add true variety is to add new full classes, and I fully sympathize with the original poster's possible shock at hearing that no new classes have yet seen official publication a full five years after 5E release.

If they had a few dozen Classes, the differences would be pretty minor after a certain point (see also, 3.x). The Class-Subclass system allows for greater control and focus while allowing for a wide narrative varity.

Of course, this subclass variety is relatively minor and only goes so far, with most subclasses merely shuffling around where you get advantage and new ribbon abilities.

The only real way to add true variety is to add new full classes, and I fully sympathize with the original poster's possible shock at hearing that no new classes have yet seen official publication a full five years after 5E release.

That's the beautiful part about 5E. Between the DM's Guild and third-party releases, there's plenty of quality classes to be had. I much prefer 5E's slow release schedule over the "a book or two, twelve thousand spells, and maybe a new class or two" every month.

You can do a lot with subclasses. Look at Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. You don't need whole new classes to add variety.

CapnZapp

Legend
I much prefer 5E's slow release schedule over the "a book or two, twelve thousand spells, and maybe a new class or two" every month.
This is a false choice.

There are more options than having to choose between "not even a single new class in five years" and "maybe a new class or two every month"

Calling 5E's release schedule "slow" is not even funny how inaccurate it is (as regards classes). Not even "glacial" would come near, since even glaciers move a little.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That's the beautiful part about 5E. Between the DM's Guild and third-party releases, there's plenty of quality classes to be had. I much prefer 5E's slow release schedule over the "a book or two, twelve thousand spells, and maybe a new class or two" every month.

You can do a lot with subclasses. Look at Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. You don't need whole new classes to add variety.

As [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] said, there's a ton of space in-between nothing and the glut of 3e that could be utilized. We aren't asking for an avalanche of new classes. We're just asking for something.

CapnZapp

Legend
As [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] said, there's a ton of space in-between nothing and the glut of 3e that could be utilized. We aren't asking for an avalanche of new classes. We're just asking for something.

Thing is: WAY too much of the new subclasses is just reshuffled advantage, a ribbon or two and fluff.

As for actual new mechanics, what do we have to show for five entire years?

I'd argue the Arcane Archer's arrows is a new mechanic, albeit not of a very satisfying power level. New spells, absolutely, but how many of those actually add new ways to play the game? (A few, but not many.) There are absolutely a few more tidbits here and there, but my inability to actually remember them right now is quite telling... I haven't played a Hexblade myself, but that one (together with the bladesinger) might be the best new crunch in that it finally completes the gish archetype. (Feel free to remind me if I missed something truly good)

Meanwhile, glaringly bad crunch all the way back to the PHB remain unfixed. Perhaps the worst offender is Crossbow Expert that doesn't help the archetype it purports to help while instead enabling a build that is as overpowered as it is stupid. (If anyone of you hate that feat more than I do, you really must raise your hand!)

This is a false choice.

There are more options than having to choose between "not even a single new class in five years" and "maybe a new class or two every month"

Calling 5E's release schedule "slow" is not even funny how inaccurate it is (as regards classes). Not even "glacial" would come near, since even glaciers move a little.

You have two of them: Mystic and Artificer. Published by WotC straight to the internet. And you have dozens on the DM's Guild. I don't see why WotC-official material has to be any better than unofficial. Especially with how much complaining goes on about overpowered feats and broken combos.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You have two of them: Mystic and Artificer. Published by WotC straight to the internet. And you have dozens on the DM's Guild. I don't see why WotC-official material has to be any better than unofficial. Especially with how much complaining goes on about overpowered feats and broken combos.

You don't see any difference between properly playtested classes and the unplaytested stuff from WotC and third parties?

On that note, someone here once mentioned a 3rd party site that had tons of free classes, feats and stuff that I wanted to look through, but I lost the link and can't remember the name. Anyone have any ideas?

You don't see any difference between properly playtested classes and the unplaytested stuff from WotC and third parties?

On that note, someone here once mentioned a 3rd party site that had tons of free classes, feats and stuff that I wanted to look through, but I lost the link and can't remember the name. Anyone have any ideas?

No, not really. Not when I hear so much complaining about broken stuff from WotC. And I know of at least one site, Middle Finger of Vecna, that playtests their stuff extensively, takes fan submissions, and is totally open to revising stuff that their fans point out to them.

Seriously, with so much good stuff coming out from 3rd parties like MFoV, Kobold Press, EN5ider, and the DM's Guild, I don't really see any need for WotC to do anything different than they've been doing.

Remove ads